PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Late round binkies

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Eve of the draft. A lot of talk and excitement about the first pick as there should be. That said who are some of your late round binkies? I think this is a good thread to have before the draft cause once it starts we will be looking at immediate picks on the horizon and guys we just picked.

Late round to me is someone has virtually 0 chance of going in the top 4 rounds.

Nick Marshall - CB (CB turned QB turned CB). I mentioned him in another thread. Reminds me of Edelman a bit from the CB spot due to back story. A good football player and great athlete but almost surely will need a red shirt year. Did well at the senior bowl in CB and has the size and speed you want 6'1 height 4.5 speed)

Mario Alford - WR (QB/RB before college) First off he is undersized at 5'8. This will make some people immediately take him off their boards. I look at WRs like that and see opportunity though. He athletism is through the rough. Fast and quick and plays bigger than you expect. Get the ball in his hands in the open field on underneath routes and watch him go. Route running is a bit raw but can kick return immediately and is a big play waiting to happen. In many respects he was a more dangerous player than teammate Kevin White last year getting more TDs.

Jarvis Harrison - G (also played a little LT) First things first. This guy has talent. If he plays up to it he is pick no later than the 3rd round. He has some consistency issues and some wonder about his work ethic. According to CBS he has improved every year so I assume he is putting in work. Wanted to be a basketball player but switch to football late in high school. If he works out could be a very good option

Leterrius Walter - DT Raw is the only issue here. Has the size and quick feet according to scouts but just not the experience and strength. A red shirt year candidate but the upside is there.

Last edited:
Mike Reilly, DE/LB William and Mary.

Ceiling Rob Ninkovich
Worst case. Makes J Bequette look all pro.

I can't believe that I've been reading this forum at least once a day for the last 6 months and don't ever recall seeing his name. I'm sure I must have missed it, just too many guys to keep track of. But holy cow, his profile seems to match everything the Pats are looking for. He even meets Patchick's size theory. One cut runner. 3 down potential. Good find.

More on his profile from NFL.com.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/zach-zenner?id=2552384

Shaq Riddick is one of my late round binkies. He is alot like Buchannon though.

His name has been thrown around. I had mentioned him in December. But upon typing in his name in the Patsfans search bar, of course Manx had mentioned him in November.

The Patriots will draft CB Bobby McCain if someone else does not grab him....he had the best 20 yard shuttle time at the Combine.

His name has been thrown around. I had mentioned him in December. But upon typing in his name in the Patsfans search bar, of course Manx had mentioned him in November.

He's interesting. Bit straight-line though. But wouldn't object at all if he's a day three pick.

DeAndre Smelter, Terry Williams, Kristjan Sokoli, Cassius Sendish and Gavin Lutman.

Alan Fua OLB BYU, Marcus Rush OLB Michigan State, Xavier Williams DT N Iowa.

The best long snapper available, Joe Cardona, is from the Naval Academy. It's like a match made in heaven. Belichick, thanks to his connections, might be the only guy in the league capable of "calling up the admiral" and getting him onto the team.

1. JOE CARDONA, Navy (6-1 ½, 242, 4.88, 7-FA) Snapped for punts all four years and placements from 2012-'14. Scored 30 on the Wonderlic intelligence test and bench-pressed 225 pounds 30 times, an extraordinary total for a snapper. "He's put together," one coach said. "Obviously, smart kid. Real disciplined. All the things you're looking for. Overall, decent athlete at the position." The problem is, Cardona is expected to serve a two-year service commitment and, apart from some off-season availability, won't be snapping for a team until 2017. "That's a big obstacle everybody will have to deal with," the coach said. From El Cajon, Calif.

DeAndre Smelter and Nick Marshall. I would love the Marshall selection so long as the team pulls the trigger on a corner before him that can contribute immediately.

Another guy I forgot to mention: Dezmin Lewis. I'm liking him more and more as the weeks go on. Big frame, long wingspan, and a very savvy and precise route runner. He's also faster than his 40 would indicate. He's been creeping up my WR board more and more.

I agree on Marcus Rush.

Another guy I forgot to mention: Dezmin Lewis. I'm liking him more and more as the weeks go on. Big frame, long wingspan, and a very savvy and precise route runner. He's also faster than his 40 would indicate. He's been creeping up my WR board more and more.

I like Geremy Davis for this reason. Read a lot of people calling him the "poor man's Kevin White" and he seems to have positional versatility as WR, H-back, and RB.

The best long snapper available, Joe Cardona, is from the Naval Academy. It's like a match made in heaven. Belichick, thanks to his connections, might be the only guy in the league capable of "calling up the admiral" and getting him onto the team.

In years past, I would have said Cardona was a sure thing to the LS-starved Patriots. But the military academies have finally worked out a clear policy for prospective pro athletes: they have to complete an abbreviated service commitment of 24 months first. That says UDFA to me, especially at a position like LS where you only carry one.

Some uncommonly interesting small-school RBs this year: John Crockett, Terrell Watson and Zach Zenner all have powerful builds, decent athleticism and some pass-catching skills.

In years past, I would have said Cardona was a sure thing to the LS-starved Patriots. But the military academies have finally worked out a clear policy for prospective pro athletes: they have to complete an abbreviated service commitment of 24 months first. That says UDFA to me, especially at a position like LS where you only carry one.

Oh, I didn't realize they had a clear policy now. Yeah, that makes it tough.

Welp.. there goes one of my 9 Draft predictions for tonight.. off to the draft game thread..

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back