PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Late night rant..but someone HAD to do it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, if you have been a season ticket holder for 18 years as you claim, you saw what this franchise was prior to Kraft which was putrid. You also saw that Kraft wasn't cheap where he overpaid to keep players during the Bobby Grier era and the beginning of the Belichick era. Players like Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy, and Drew Bledsoe got record breaking deals. In fact, it took nearly a decade for a CB to get a better contract than Law got in 1998. He also say him overpay for rejects like Max Lane and Todd Rucci.

Second, the Pats did spend from 2006 on. Kraft made Richard Seymour the highest paid d-lineman in 2006. Kraft made Randy Moss one of the highest paid receivers in 2008. Kraft made Brady the highest paid player in the NFL last year. Kraft made Wilfork one of the highest paid interior d-linemen last year. Kraft overpaid for Adalius Thomas in 2007. Kraft gave Welker a well above market value contract in 2007 based on his value at the time (he has far exceeded it). Kraft made Mankins the highest paid guard this year.

Third, name one high priced acquisition the Pats made from 2001-2004. The only one I can think of is Roosevelt Colvin in 2003 and he took a discount to come to the Pats. Even then, he didn't live up to his contract.

Fourth, while on that subject, most high priced acquisitions do not live up to expectations. The Dolphins overpaid for Karlos Dansby and he has been average at best this year. Same with Reggie Bush. The Jets paid a hefty sum for Bart Scott and his bark is bigger than his bite. The Ravens beat out the Pats for Anquan Bolden because they were willing to give him top dollar and the Pats weren't and Bolden gave the Ravens 839 yards and 7 TDs in return last year for the money (the TDs were good, but the yards were mediocre especially for top WR money). Even Julius Peppers, who I really wanted, got a record breaking deal last year for his ability to get to the QB and only delivered 8 sacks for the Bears in 2010. And let's not even getting started on their acquisition of their "franchise" QB who hasn't been close to franchise.

I'm not really concerned with what other teams do. All I know is that this team has way too often gone with broken down, old, free agents - Haynesworth, Chad Scott, Junior Seau, Deltha O'Neal, Chad Johnson, Joey Galloway....there's too many to list - when there were more expensive, younger, better alternatives. Sorry if you think I'm fibbing about being a season ticket holder, but yes, my first year was 92 because the tix were something like 21 bucks a game. Prior to that it was always very easy to get tickets on game day. And this year is my first year without any tickets - for the last few seasons I only went to a couple games a season with family commitments, etc.
And it's clear as day that the trading down for value has not worked out because they've cut most of the players for whom they've traded down - especially in the secondary.....
Look, I hope this team somehow finds a magic elixir and McCourty, Adams, Molden, etc., can somehow figure out how to cover receivers. But until this team, A.) gets CONSISTENT pressure on the qb and doesn't allow him to sit back all day and find the open guy or B.) somehow develops a scheme that doesn't let Heath Miller get open 15 yards downfield all day without a defender within 7 yards, the team isn't going anywhere - especially into a victorious locker room after a playoff game.

The funny thing is, when the Pats win sunday, all the doom and gloomers that have posted since the Steelers loss, will be making threads like "omg, we iz going to SuperBowl"...:bricks:

The funny thing is, when the Pats win sunday, all the doom and gloomers that have posted since the Steelers loss, will be making threads like "omg, we iz going to SuperBowl"...:bricks:

I'm sure you are right - and that is stupid.

As of right now - my opinion would be completely summed up by Greg Bedard's article on Monday morning, and everything he has said since. Bedard has proven to be the best analyst we have around here.

Bedard said he wouldn't be shocked to see them go 14-2. Me neither. But he says until January, it doesn't mean anything. Now - I feel the same.

Last edited:
We've been very, very fortunate to have Bledsoe, Brady, Cassel.

I think you're really taking that for granted.

We didn't fall apart when Brady blew out his knee b/c Cassel is a quality NFL caliber QB. He led a much, much lesser Chiefs team to the playoffs. That 2008 squad was going to be - with Brady - one of the best teams on paper, ever assembled, as it was basically the same squad as 2007. Cassel is a drop-off, no doubt, but not enough to sink it.

The reality is - Belichick is the glue, and he won't be here forever. He intimated himself in the NFLN doc, and that was 2009. He's going to be 60 soon and said he wasn't going to be a Marv Levy. So we probably have 5-8 years left of Bill.

People have to stop acting like this insane run we've been on is going to continue in any way shape or form for eternity.

That's what would be spoiled. Not expecting a Brady-Belichick team to compete for a title - that's just logical.

The mood around here - as diehard fans who take this game way too seriously - should reflect that of the players, which should be quite sour this week. The way we lost that game is cause for some reflection and contemplation. Anything otherwise is sugarcoating.

When we win this week, I expect things to turn around on the board.

Cassell did not look like an NFL QB at all and had hardly played in real games since high school. Trying to rewrite history based on what we know now is just self delusion.

I don't take anything for granted, but the idea that spending a lot guarantees anything is baloney, proved over and over again. If you're lucky (we are) you have a coach and players focused on short and long term goals.

Wow, we lost a game. It does happen. Tome, we have tremendous plusses in Welker and the tight ends, the line looks really strong (which was a big question mark) and we have some big issues in the secondary. Every team has issues, I'm sure Green Bay does. I'm of the opinion we can win it every year if we make the playoffs, and that's really the truth.

You can't be anal retentive and think this is the golden year and the world will end in a couple more, that's not how sports works. Teams with that mindset spend for all star teams that fail. Look at the Chargers, they do a great job of collecting talent and never form a team that can win, so who cares?

When the golden team fails, as 31 teams will, every year, the bloated contracts and finger pointing put them in the cellar for years. Enjoy the season, we're always in it to win (14-2 rebuilding season lol) and BB will restock for now and the future the most efficient way he can. We are lucky, watch the games and root. A football is not designed to bounce in a predictable fashion.

Last edited:
As fans we have become spoiled. Everyone needs to take a trip down memory lane....

Remember seasons when Tommy Hodson was our quarterback?

Anybody remember players sexually harassing a female reporter in the locker room? Great press for that one.

Anybody remember after are loss in the 1985 super bowl how half the team was discovered to have been using cocaine? I'm exaggerating but some key players were using. Great press from that one too.

Anybody remember the 1 & 15 season that began with six defensive starters going down in a preseason game? I watched every game that season because the PATS were my team. God they sucked but they were my team. Beat the Dolts, who were in our division then, Jim Harbuagh, now the coach of the Niners was their Q.B.. Captain comeback, remember? They were almost as bad as we were.

The 2001 season, Belichick's second. The team was maybe rated to go 5 & 1, like the year before but what happened? Magic happened. The first super bowl was won in this year by a bunch of no name layers and other team's cast offs.

Now we lose one game to a good team, a game we were in till the end, (and don't forget Gronk's TD that wasn't, due to a bad call and no review) and the world is coming to an end. Magic can still happen and that is why we should be watching the NFL, not to indulge our fantasies about how it should be but isn't. Dwell in the now folks not in the fantasy spaces in your minds.

Cassell did not look like an NFL QB at all and had hardly played in real games since high school. Trying to rewrite history based on what we know now is just self delusion.

I don't take anything for granted, but the idea that spending a lot guarantees anything is baloney, proved over and over again. If you're lucky (we are) you have a coach and players focused on short and long term goals.

Wow, we lost a game. It does happen. Tome, we have tremendous plusses in Welker and the tight ends, the line looks really strong (which was a big question mark) and we have some big issues in the secondary. Every team has issues, I'm sure Green Bay does. I'm of the opinion we can win it every year if we make the playoffs, and that's really the truth.

You can't be anal retentive and think this is the golden year and the world will end in a couple more, that's not how sports works. Teams with that mindset spend for all star teams that fail. Look at the Chargers, they do a great job of collecting talent and never form a team that can win, so who cares?

When the golden team fails, as 31 teams will, every year, the bloated contracts and finger pointing put them in the cellar for years. Enjoy the season, we're always in it to win (14-2 rebuilding season lol) and BB will restock for now and the future the most efficient way he can. We are lucky, watch the games and root. A football is not designed to bounce in a predictable fashion.

Hey, please don't lump me in with anyone who said anything about spending.

I think the whole "Kraft doesn't spend" crap is the one of the biggest BS and falsehoods in sports. Heck, he just spent for Vince, Brady, Mankins in the last 3 years. I never said anything about that.

And I agree with 99% of your post.

The one thing that I don't agree with is that it was just another game that we lost. IMO - it wasn't. The Bills game, that was just another loss. The Browns game last year - that was just another loss. The loss to the Texans or Broncos or whoever the year before - those were just losses. The Steelers loss was demoralizing in its nature in that it was sort of a playoff preview - big game, big stakes, road game, tough opponent, etc., and the team fit right into its new trend in that situation (either Jan '07 or Feb '08 to present), rather than the old one ('01-'05). That has to resonate with fans.

I'm just not going to read much into anything until I see this team in the next calendar year when it matters most. In the end, I think you're right, we're probably better off just enjoying the ride. Not worrying about how many years who has left, what's expected, what happened last year, capitalizing in this Brady window, what the media says, what Jets fans say, etc., etc. At this point, I almost forget what it's like to just show up Sundays, root and have fun.

Last edited:
I'm not really concerned with what other teams do. All I know is that this team has way too often gone with broken down, old, free agents - Haynesworth, Chad Scott, Junior Seau, Deltha O'Neal, Chad Johnson, Joey Galloway....there's too many to list - when there were more expensive, younger, better alternatives. Sorry if you think I'm fibbing about being a season ticket holder, but yes, my first year was 92 because the tix were something like 21 bucks a game. Prior to that it was always very easy to get tickets on game day. And this year is my first year without any tickets - for the last few seasons I only went to a couple games a season with family commitments, etc.
And it's clear as day that the trading down for value has not worked out because they've cut most of the players for whom they've traded down - especially in the secondary.....
Look, I hope this team somehow finds a magic elixir and McCourty, Adams, Molden, etc., can somehow figure out how to cover receivers. But until this team, A.) gets CONSISTENT pressure on the qb and doesn't allow him to sit back all day and find the open guy or B.) somehow develops a scheme that doesn't let Heath Miller get open 15 yards downfield all day without a defender within 7 yards, the team isn't going anywhere - especially into a victorious locker room after a playoff game.

First, Seau was a very good addition for the Patriots. He was not the elite Junior Seau when the Pats got him, but he was still solid. He outperformed expectations as a starter in 2006 and did do a solid role playing job in 2007.

Second, this team won three Super Bowls with other teams' trash. Guys like Roman Phifer, Anthony Pleasants, Antowain Smith, Bobby Hamilton, Joe Andruzzi, David Patten, Otis Smith, Rodney Harrison, etc. were all other team's cast offs either because they were washed up or just journeymen.

Third, the three most successful teams of the last decade (potentially 4 if the Packers live up to expectations and win the Super Bowl) in the Pats, Steelers, and Colts all do not spend big money in free agency. Most of the guys who do have been disapointments.

Fourth, it is too early to say Haynesworth is a bust. He has been a force when he is on the field. But people biatch and moan about the Ochocinco and Haynesworth deals, but don't give the Pats credit for getting Brian Waters (who is arguably one of the best free agent acquistions this year for any team), Andre Carter who is on pace for double digit sacks (had two sacks in each of the last two games), and Mark Anderson who also is on pace for double digit sacks.

Thanks for the positive thread even if overrun by nervous nellys.

as all of these guys talk about spending for name players and trading up to draft high and that we have 4 no-names in our secondary now; comparing them to Earthwind Moreland.....One thought keeps running through my head:

In the 2002 season I remember calling some sports radio show in the midwest somewhere as I was traveling for business. The host had some rant going running down the pats as not being worthy of being sb contenders again etc. etc. His primary argument was based on that they didn't have any Pro-bowlers on Defense. I called and tried to explain that Bruschi, Vrabel etc etc. were Pro-bowl Level guys WHO JUST DIDN"T GET THE RECOGNITION because of where they played (remember back then 'Pats' wasn't synonymous w/ success .)

Now Tedy Bruschi is pretty much a NATION-WIDE known name.

Well I find it pretty dismissive of everyone to ASSUME that arrington, chung, mccourty and possibly even the other guys who havent seen the playing field CANT EVER BECOME HOUSEHOLD NAMES TOO.

WHY? Just because of their draft status? Let the play, take coaching and see what happens. The guys on the team say a lot of last weekend was communication. Well that gets better with time on the field together. Lets wait for a body of work before dismissing these guys as all "Earthwind Moreland".

Many fans think if Kraft had gone the extra mile, shelled out the extra money, to sign or draft (by trading up for TALENT instead trading down for VALUE) a BIG TIME IMPACT PLAYER ON DEFENSE IN HIS PRIME, then maybe JUST MAYBE, we'd be talking about 4 Super Bowl titles in 7 or 8 years....it's a shame because it was right there for the taking...and before people start calling me "ungrateful", I was a card carrying, pom pom waving season ticket holder for 18 years.....I showed my thanks by writing Krafty a check every season....
You are aware there is this thing called a salary cap, right? And that most teams were hesitant to spend a lot of money last year due to not knowing what the details of the next CBA would be, right?

Please show me where the Patriots spend less than 31 other teams, or even the league average. If you want to see a frugal team check out Tampa Bay, Cincinnati, Kansas City or Jacksonville, among others. The reality of today's NFL is that not every free agent can be signed. Take a look at a team like Pittsburgh and see how many of their own veterans have signed elsewhere, as well as how many impact free agents they have gone out and brought in. Then compare teams like Washington, Oakland, Dallas, etc. over the years and how well spending a lot of money on impact players has worked out for them.

Never said that - just illustrating that some of the fanboys in here probably never held season tix, probably never sacrificed so they could go down to Foxboro and dedicate 8-10 hours to a football team you love, and they probably never wrote out yearly checks to help build Jonathan City down there on Route 1...because I criticize the team and its owner I'm called "ungrateful"...fans should never be satisfied with second, third, or fourth best at the end of the season, ESPECIALLY when you have one of the best quarterbacks and coaches in the game at the helm....
I can certainly understand and appreciate the sacrifices made to commit to season tickets. But doing so does not entitle you to a guaranteed Super Bowl. Though you and some other fans may believe that the Pats should have spent more money on big money free agents, that doesn't mean that automatically must mean that doing so had to absolutely be a better decision for the team.

It sounds to me as if you are very bitter about the value you are getting for your entertainment dollar. If it bothers you as much as it seems to be doing, then my suggestion would be to give up the tickets. Why continue to spend so much money if all it does is cause you so much anger and unhappiness?

Your level of expectations ("fans should never be satisfied with second, third, or fourth best at the end of the season") and the chances of that event happening (nothing less than a Super Bowl victory) are so low that you are almost guaranteed to be disappointed, and in your case not getting your anticipated return on investment. Everybody is certainly entitled to their own level of expectations, but why put yourself through that if that is your point of view? Football is the ultimate team game and simply having Belichick and Brady on the same team does not remotely come close to assuring an annual championship.

Hey, please don't lump me in with anyone who said anything about spending.

I think the whole "Kraft doesn't spend" crap is the one of the biggest BS and falsehoods in sports. Heck, he just spent for Vince, Brady, Mankins in the last 3 years. I never said anything about that.

And I agree with 99% of your post.

The one thing that I don't agree with is that it was just another game that we lost. IMO - it wasn't. The Bills game, that was just another loss. The Browns game last year - that was just another loss. The loss to the Texans or Broncos or whoever the year before - those were just losses. The Steelers loss was demoralizing in its nature in that it was sort of a playoff preview - big game, big stakes, road game, tough opponent, etc., and the team fit right into its new trend in that situation (either Jan '07 or Feb '08 to present), rather than the old one ('01-'05). That has to resonate with fans.

I'm just not going to read much into anything until I see this team in the next calendar year when it matters most. In the end, I think you're right, we're probably better off just enjoying the ride. Not worrying about how many years who has left, what's expected, what happened last year, capitalizing in this Brady window, what the media says, what Jets fans say, etc., etc. At this point, I almost forget what it's like to just show up Sundays, root and have fun.

It's a midseason game. We've demoralized them for years.

In fact i can remember getting our asses royally kicked by the Steelers, then beating them in the post season, one of our Championship years.

They had a good game plan, they exploited us trying to overcompensate for a weakness. It's unfortunate that an area that seemed a strength, turned into a weakness, but if players were underperforming and unfocused, I'd rather bite the bullet with some inexperience, than see another 2009 "effort" against the Ravens.

If i thought BB was holding grudges or playing favorites, it would be different, but i think it has to do with being focused on winning and executing the game plan.

I'm not demoralized. I do feel the game was winnable, but who's to say Rothlis wouldn't have lit it up had we played him differently.

Mid season game, lots to work on. On to the next one.

When all is said and done, I think this team has too much pride to ever consider coming close to throwing in the towel. Hopefully we see some of the nastiness in the trenches that we have seen in the past after eye-opening losses. Then the lot of you can come back in off the ledge...

We may not have a SB team this yr, but then again, there has not been any dominating performances besides the Packers, so anything can happen. Let's hope for a playoff berth, wildcard or not..then we'll see what happens. The idea that we can't win a couple of playoff games is ridiculous to me.

And if not, we still can relish the GIFT that is being able to get hyped up for every single Sunday's game with a chance and hope to win. Just remember, there are probably about 3/4 of the teams in the NFL that would jump at the chance to be in the shoes of both the team, and the fanbase.

Belichick may have made some seriously questionable decisions and calls--in the draft, and in the building of some years' teams, but I know that he always is 100% driven to doing what he feels is best for the team. I think his dedication, sheer smarts, and desire is good enough is to put us in competition on just about every single Sunday; regardless of who is starting where, and who is traded or released.

I know this may not be a popular thread/post with many, and I'm sure some ***** clown will chime in with some impatient comment about not "winning" right..this..second..but our sense of entitlement as a fan base is getting to be ridiculous anymore. I saw a post lately that asked someone if they thought "last year was a success." Are you kidding me? We were THE elite team in the NFL, and beat all 4 conference champion squads (and both SB squads to boot)...in a "rebuilding year." Out of 16 games we won 14. That's 14 Sundays that we all got to enjoy seeing our team walk away victorious. Yes, of course we all would've liked to win the SB, but let's be realistic, it just is not going to happen that often. It's an exceptionally special thing, or else duck boats, parades, and rallys would be scheduled for every single year like clockwork--that of course would ruin the whole "magical" feeling of actually winning the damn thing.

We've got to witness (not me personally, but I couldn't even imagine) going to a home game EVERY single time when Brady plays since 2006, and walking away feeling like we got our money's worth. Good GOD!! No, we haven't won a playoff game the past couple of yrs vs. the likes of the punishing Ravens and the hungry Jets, but all is not lost as a fanbase either. The Pats remain one of the NFL's toughest outs, and will likely stay that way. They didn't make the playoffs in 2008, and as tough as it was we all went on with our lives and regrouped the next yr.

We celebrate together with the wins, and console each other after losses; but we're not going to p!ss and moan like a bunch of spolied sissies anymore. This fanbase is still made up of many who sat on cold benches through 1-15 seasons; people who would've given anything just to compete.

We are given the chance to compete just about every single Sunday, now let's not run the damn coach out of town for God sakes.

And PS---F@#k Leigh Bodden, and anyone else who wasn't going to give their all and dedication. As much as I questioned the move too, it's time to move on and understand the bigger picture. Belichick's a guy who'd rather have all of his players believe in themselves and each other, then have a little bit more talent in the short run. You can say that it's right/wrong, whatever..but in the next couple/few yrs, I believe he will get us another SB trophy.

So, am I being a "homer," or just a true fan who goes down swinging with his team--sink or swim?

We're either going to get the season back on track this Sunday vs the NYG, or the Jets are going to face a very hungry and pissed off team next Sunday night. Regardless, we have a chance to be 6-3, maybe even 7-2.

Does anyone else believe there's a decent shot at making some noise, or do most of you feel as though it's somehow already a done deal?
[end rant]

Brady lost a home game to Baltimore and New York since 2006, just thought I would throw it out there. Not everything has been perfect, we have done great things but its not wrong to expect more.

In fact i can remember getting our asses royally kicked by the Steelers, then beating them in the post season, one of our Championship years.

Fair enough. And it was on Halloween no less.

I wouldn't say I'm demoralized either. We just need to see more from this D to believe.

It's a midseason game. We've demoralized them for years.

They had a good game plan, they exploited us trying to overcompensate for a weakness. It's unfortunate that an area that seemed a strength, turned into a weakness, but if players were underperforming and unfocused, I'd rather bite the bullet with some inexperience, than see another 2009 "effort" against the Ravens.

If i thought BB was holding grudges or playing favorites, it would be different, but i think it has to do with being focused on winning and executing the game plan.

I'm not demoralized. I do feel the game was winnable, but who's to say Rothlis wouldn't have lit it up had we played him differently.

Mid season game, lots to work on. On to the next one.

I wonder how the Jets felt last December after playing the Patriots - and then how the Patriots felt in January after playing the Jets. Enough said.

It depends on how the game goes. If the Patriots win Sunday and the defense turns in a good performance against the Giants, things can calm down. My definition of "good" is 20 or fewer points, under 40% 3rd down efficiency by the Giants, under 300 yards passing, and time of possession in favor of the Patriots - keep Tom Brady on the field!

If the Patriots win in spite of a career day by Eli Manning with the Giants looking like the Steelers carving up the zone defense, I think those of us who are deeply concerned about the defense will continue to express our disappointment.

You are aware there is this thing called a salary cap, right? And that most teams were hesitant to spend a lot of money last year due to not knowing what the details of the next CBA would be, right?

Please show me where the Patriots spend less than 31 other teams, or even the league average. If you want to see a frugal team check out Tampa Bay, Cincinnati, Kansas City or Jacksonville, among others. The reality of today's NFL is that not every free agent can be signed. Take a look at a team like Pittsburgh and see how many of their own veterans have signed elsewhere, as well as how many impact free agents they have gone out and brought in. Then compare teams like Washington, Oakland, Dallas, etc. over the years and how well spending a lot of money on impact players has worked out for them.

I can certainly understand and appreciate the sacrifices made to commit to season tickets. But doing so does not entitle you to a guaranteed Super Bowl. Though you and some other fans may believe that the Pats should have spent more money on big money free agents, that doesn't mean that automatically must mean that doing so had to absolutely be a better decision for the team.

It sounds to me as if you are very bitter about the value you are getting for your entertainment dollar. If it bothers you as much as it seems to be doing, then my suggestion would be to give up the tickets. Why continue to spend so much money if all it does is cause you so much anger and unhappiness?

Your level of expectations ("fans should never be satisfied with second, third, or fourth best at the end of the season") and the chances of that event happening (nothing less than a Super Bowl victory) are so low that you are almost guaranteed to be disappointed, and in your case not getting your anticipated return on investment. Everybody is certainly entitled to their own level of expectations, but why put yourself through that if that is your point of view? Football is the ultimate team game and simply having Belichick and Brady on the same team does not remotely come close to assuring an annual championship.

The only thing I'm bitter about is the fact that this team really and truly had (who know, maybe they'll turn it around defensively and will change their personnel philosophy) to be the best team in NFL history without argument, really. But I am firm in my belief that the "value" draft philosophy and not going after players in their prime in FA (since Colvin) has bitten this team in the arse.
As far as disappointment, yeah, sure...but, I could deal with 07 and to a degree, and even 06, and 05 because I think the talent was there and the drafting wasn't as piss poor as it's been (then again, there were still Parcells holdovers on the team). But, no, 09 and 10 are embarrassments because a team is judged on how it fares in the playoffs and those two seasons they were crushed by inferior teams on their home field. I will argue till the cows come home that the poor drafting of 06, 07 (yes, I know they netted Moss/Welker in trades), 08, and a mediocre draft in 09 are the biggest reason this team lost those games - lack of talent, lack of playmakers, lack of guys who can/will turn a game around in one play.

When all is said and done, I think this team has too much pride to ever consider coming close to throwing in the towel. Hopefully we see some of the nastiness in the trenches that we have seen in the past after eye-opening losses. Then the lot of you can come back in off the ledge...

We may not have a SB team this yr, but then again, there has not been any dominating performances besides the Packers, so anything can happen. Let's hope for a playoff berth, wildcard or not..then we'll see what happens. The idea that we can't win a couple of playoff games is ridiculous to me.

And if not, we still can relish the GIFT that is being able to get hyped up for every single Sunday's game with a chance and hope to win. Just remember, there are probably about 3/4 of the teams in the NFL that would jump at the chance to be in the shoes of both the team, and the fanbase.

Belichick may have made some seriously questionable decisions and calls--in the draft, and in the building of some years' teams, but I know that he always is 100% driven to doing what he feels is best for the team. I think his dedication, sheer smarts, and desire is good enough is to put us in competition on just about every single Sunday; regardless of who is starting where, and who is traded or released.

I know this may not be a popular thread/post with many, and I'm sure some ***** clown will chime in with some impatient comment about not "winning" right..this..second..but our sense of entitlement as a fan base is getting to be ridiculous anymore. I saw a post lately that asked someone if they thought "last year was a success." Are you kidding me? We were THE elite team in the NFL, and beat all 4 conference champion squads (and both SB squads to boot)...in a "rebuilding year." Out of 16 games we won 14. That's 14 Sundays that we all got to enjoy seeing our team walk away victorious. Yes, of course we all would've liked to win the SB, but let's be realistic, it just is not going to happen that often. It's an exceptionally special thing, or else duck boats, parades, and rallys would be scheduled for every single year like clockwork--that of course would ruin the whole "magical" feeling of actually winning the damn thing.

We've got to witness (not me personally, but I couldn't even imagine) going to a home game EVERY single time when Brady plays since 2006, and walking away feeling like we got our money's worth. Good GOD!! No, we haven't won a playoff game the past couple of yrs vs. the likes of the punishing Ravens and the hungry Jets, but all is not lost as a fanbase either. The Pats remain one of the NFL's toughest outs, and will likely stay that way. They didn't make the playoffs in 2008, and as tough as it was we all went on with our lives and regrouped the next yr.

We celebrate together with the wins, and console each other after losses; but we're not going to p!ss and moan like a bunch of spolied sissies anymore. This fanbase is still made up of many who sat on cold benches through 1-15 seasons; people who would've given anything just to compete.

We are given the chance to compete just about every single Sunday, now let's not run the damn coach out of town for God sakes.

And PS---F@#k Leigh Bodden, and anyone else who wasn't going to give their all and dedication. As much as I questioned the move too, it's time to move on and understand the bigger picture. Belichick's a guy who'd rather have all of his players believe in themselves and each other, then have a little bit more talent in the short run. You can say that it's right/wrong, whatever..but in the next couple/few yrs, I believe he will get us another SB trophy.

So, am I being a "homer," or just a true fan who goes down swinging with his team--sink or swim?

We're either going to get the season back on track this Sunday vs the NYG, or the Jets are going to face a very hungry and pissed off team next Sunday night. Regardless, we have a chance to be 6-3, maybe even 7-2.

Does anyone else believe there's a decent shot at making some noise, or do most of you feel as though it's somehow already a done deal?
[end rant][/QUOT

LOL- dont let your fandom get in the way of reality-LOL
this team WILL NOT be in the SB- and most probabaly depending on the opponent WILL BE knocked out in the 1st RD- the D is probably the worst in the NFL and the wide recievers are almost invisible- you dont go far in the playoffs with that !!

Personally I think the team is really rebuilding the defense while staying competitive and thats always a plus.

Do I think the team is going to win this years Super Bowl?...No,I think the secondary lacks true playmakers and once those guys are in place,perhaps next season then a true SB run will be established

Get a playmaker at Safety (Chung is O.K. but IMO not the answer)

Get a playmaker at Corner (McCourty is still a question)

Add some unity and leadership and we very well could continue success for years and years.

I just don't know this year if the team can win a playoff game without scoring 35 points to do it.

I'm not mad because we're 5-2 instead of 6-1. I'm mad because I just witnessed a terrible performance by the secondary, which could have been avoided simply by not cutting half of its top 8 players. This team now has an achilles heel that it didn't need to have, and unless it gets fixed with unprecedented speed, there goes another year or two from Tom Brady's diminishing window as an elite QB.

I don't know how any Pats fan could not be irritated by that. If the Pats turn it around and somehow cobble together a defense that's competent enough to win a SB, I'll be as thrilled as anyone, and apparently far more surprised than a lot of you. In the mean time, though, I'm not going to pretend that we haven't seen what we've seen through 7 games: an offense that's good enough to overcome the defense's deficiencies against most teams, but which almost certainly won't make it to the SB in its current form.

Last edited:
LOL- dont let your fandom get in the way of reality-LOL
this team WILL NOT be in the SB- and most probabaly depending on the opponent WILL BE knocked out in the 1st RD- the D is probably the worst in the NFL and the wide recievers are almost invisible- you dont go far in the playoffs with that !!

How can you say any team who is still in legitimate playoff contention WILL NOT win the Super Bowl. If anything, we have learned that any team that can get into the playoffs has a chance of getting hot and making a run. Lets go year by year:

Last year:

At this time last year, people felt the Packers would not even make the playoffs because they had absolutely no running game and too many players on IR.

2009:

The Jets back into the playoffs with two teams at the end of the schedule sitting players for the playoffs and getting in with a 9-7 record and making a run to go to the AFC Championships.

2008:

Arizona was a horrible road team and only got into the playoffs because they are in the NFC West and got to the Super Bowl playing two playoff games on the road.

2007:

People didn't even think the Giants would get into the playoffs as late as the Pats played them in the December and were convinced they were one and done when they got into the playoffs. They won three road games and beat the Pats in the Super Bowl.

2006:

Indy had the worst run defense in league history statistically. Were predicted to be one and done especially since they went up against the league's best running team in the first round of the playoffs. They not only shutdown the running game in that game, they went onto win the Super Bowl after overcoming the biggest deficit to be overcome in the playoffs in NFL history against the Pats in the AFC Championship game.

2005:

The Steelers were a Wild Card team and serious underdogs against the Colts in the first round. The Steelers went onto win the Super Bowl.

And those were years where there were teams that were dominant. This year other than the Packers, there is no dominant team. The Pats still have a shot to win the Super Bowl. Anyone who thinks they have absolutely no shot of at least getting to the Super Bowl haven't been watching the rest of the league this year or even previous years.

I'm not because we're 5-2 instead of 6-1. I'm mad because I just witnessed a terrible performance by the secondary, which could have been avoided simply by not cutting half of its top 8 players. This team now has an achilles heel that it didn't need to have, and unless it gets fixed with unprecedented speed, there goes another year or two from Tom Brady's diminishing window as an elite QB.

I don't know how any Pats fan could not be irritated by that. If the Pats turn it around and somehow cobble together a defense that's competent enough to win a SB, I'll be as thrilled as anyone, and apparently far more surprised than a lot of you. In the mean time, though, I'm not going to pretend that we haven't seen what we've seen through 7 games: an offense that's good enough to overcome the defense's deficiencies against most teams, but which almost certainly won't make it to the SB in its current form.

With the way Joe Flacco is lighting up the league, he might pass for a 1,000 yards in a playoff game against the Pats. The way he is playing he might do that against the Steelers this weekend. :rolleyes:

People are so focused on the Pats' deficiencies and not looking at the deficiencies around the league. Who in the AFC is guaranteed to do well in the playoffs. Right now the AFC West is a race of teams fighting not to win the division. The Ravens have a horrible offense. The Pats have shown that they can beat the Jets at their own game and Ground and Pound it out with them plus their offense is very inconsistent and their defense isn't nearly as good as it was. It took an INT for a TD (along with 3 other INTs) for the Bills to beat the Pats in their own building. The Steelers seem to be on a roll now, but they have shown a lot of warts this season. The Bengals don't have a great offense. At this point, I don't see a single team in the AFC that has much a better shot at going to the Super Bowl. Maybe the AFC will just conceed the Super Bowl this year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back