4. Jarvis Moss, Florida*
5. Anthony Spencer, Purdue
5a. Charles Johnson, Georgia*
5b. LaMarr Woodley, Michigan
5c. Tim Crowder, Texas
5d. Jay Moore, Nebraska
5e. Victor Abiamiri, Notre Dame
5f. Quentin Moses, Georgia

Kiper has Willis ranked 14th overall, and doesn't have Beason in his top 25.

On April 2nd Kiper posted his rankings:

Inside Linebackers
1. Patrick Willis, Mississippi
2. David Harris, Michigan
3. Buster Davis, Florida State
4. Nate Harris, Louisville
5. Rory Johnson, Mississippi*
5a. Zak DeOssie, Brown
5b. Brandon Siler, Florida*
5c. Zach Diles, Kansas State

Outside Linebackers
1. Paul Posluszny, Penn State
2. Lawrence Timmons, Florida St.*
3. Jon Beason, Miami
4. Stewart Bradley, Nebraska
5. Michael Okwo, Stanford
5a. Quincy Black, New Mexico
5b. Rufus Alexander, Oklahoma

Safeties
1. LaRon Landry, LSU
2. Eric Weddle, Utah
3. Reggie Nelson, Florida*
4. Brandon Meriweather, Miami
5. Michael Griffin, Texas
5a. Tanard Jackson, Syracuse
5b. Josh Gattis, Wake Forest
5c. Aaron Rouse, Virginia Tech

Cornerbacks
1. Leon Hall, Michigan
2. Eric Wright, UNLV*
3. Darrelle Revis, Pittsburgh*
4. Aaron Ross, Texas
5. Chris Houston, Arkansas*
5a. Josh Wilson, Maryland
5b. Jonathan Wade, Tennessee
5c. Marcus McCauley, Fresno State
5d. Daymeion Hughes, California

Defensive Ends
1. Gaines Adams, Clemson
2. Jamaal Anderson, Arkansas*
3. Adam Carriker, Nebraska
4. Jarvis Moss, Florida*
5. Anthony Spencer, Purdue
5a. Charles Johnson, Georgia*
5b. LaMarr Woodley, Michigan
5c. Tim Crowder, Texas
5d. Jay Moore, Nebraska
5e. Victor Abiamiri, Notre Dame
5f. Quentin Moses, Georgia

Kiper has Willis ranked 14th overall, and doesn't have Beason in his top 25.

But in his mock he has Beason going before Willis and all other LBs. Which is part of why I think Kiper is an idiot.

Last edited:
I don't see how you equate Ryne Robinson w/ Bethel. RR was super productive (albeit in a small school), where Bethel was just always about potential. The only thing I see that that they have in common is their return skills. IMM RRobinson in the 6th> Bethel in the 2nd just in terms of value. I love Chris Davis, but he rates as a second rounder, and I don't see any way that he lasts until pick 91.

Chris Davis rates out as a second rounder? Most think he'll still be around in the 5th-7th rounds. I think Davis is very talented and could have the value of a second rounder for NE, but he's not graded out as a second rounder by most.

Last edited:
But in his mock he has Beason going before Willis and all other LBs.

Doesn't mean he has beason ranked higher, as he obviously doesn't. I think Kiper must be expecting teams to worry about Willis' past injuries, or something I can't explain. I'm not the man so I can't tell you what's going on up there, lol. Also, I've found some of his draft projections pretty funny in the past. I already posted about my convo with him on ESPN Radio, and the comments he made were laughable.

Last edited:
Doesn't mean he has beason ranked higher, as he obviously doesn't. I think Kiper must be expecting teams to worry about Willis' past injuries, or something I can't explain. I'm not the man so I can't tell you what's going on up there, lol. Also, I've found some of his draft projections pretty funny in the past. I already posted about my convo with him on ESPN Radio, and the comments he made were laughable.

I think Kiper is a joke. How do you rank someone as the 3rd OLB yet have him taken as the first Lb in the draft. I also think he is on glue for having Steve Smith taken in the first.

I think Kiper is a joke. How do you rank someone as the 3rd OLB yet have him taken as the first Lb in the draft. I also think he is on glue for having Steve Smith taken in the first.

Zippo -
Step back for a moment and think about how stupid what you just said really is.

1st off, just because KIPER rates a player as the 3rd OLB, that doesn't mean that teams rate the players the same way.

2ndly, How many times have we seen players rated highly, only to plummet rounds, if not totally out of the draft. Ernest Shazor comes to mind. Or vice versa, a player is rated LOW, but a team "reaches" for him. Lofa Tatupu comes to mind here. Tatupu was rated a 3rd/4th round pick. The Seahawks "reached" and took him in the 2nd round. They were right. All the draftniks were wrong.

Donte Whitner is another player. People had him rated as a late 1st/early 2nd round pick last year and the Bills took him 9th I believe. They were very happy with is production.

What Kiper did with his mock is attempt to predict where the TEAMS would take players, not necessarily just assign the guy with the highest rating from a position to a team.

Chris Davis rates out as a second rounder? Most think he'll still be around in the 5th-7th rounds. I think Davis is very talented and could have the value of a second rounder for NE, but he's not graded out as a second rounder by most.

DaBruinz caught this as well. I mixed up my Davis's (Craig & Chris). Teach me to post after last call.:rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes:

Zippo -
Step back for a moment and think about how stupid what you just said really is.

1st off, just because KIPER rates a player as the 3rd OLB, that doesn't mean that teams rate the players the same way.

2ndly, How many times have we seen players rated highly, only to plummet rounds, if not totally out of the draft. Ernest Shazor comes to mind. Or vice versa, a player is rated LOW, but a team "reaches" for him. Lofa Tatupu comes to mind here. Tatupu was rated a 3rd/4th round pick. The Seahawks "reached" and took him in the 2nd round. They were right. All the draftniks were wrong.

Donte Whitner is another player. People had him rated as a late 1st/early 2nd round pick last year and the Bills took him 9th I believe. They were very happy with is production.

What Kiper did with his mock is attempt to predict where the TEAMS would take players, not necessarily just assign the guy with the highest rating from a position to a team.

I feel he is being very contradictory. Simple as that. Obviously teams aren't going to take players in the exact order you think they are rated, but his rankings are supposed to be how he thinks NFL teams will rate them. It seems pretty logical then that his mock of how said teams will pick those players should in some way reflect that. I don't see what is stupid about that.

Kiper is predicting that beason wil be picked before players he believes are better linebackers. If we took a poll, I suspect many of us agree. In any case, the poisition is certainly a reasonable one.

Whatever. My original point was just that Kiper thinks Beason is good enough to be the first LB taken.

Its funny that every week on PFW they say that the Patriots are in love with LaMar Woodley and if he is there at either 24 or 28 they should take him. However, in their mock drafts THEY don't take him. Maybe someone told them not to draw too much attention to Woodley so that the Patriots can take him in the first round.

My picks are:

24. CB Houston

28. DE/LB Woodley or LB Harris

That would be cool...

I'm not sure what the fascination with Jon Beason is. I don't think he looks like any LB the Pats have ever had, or that will even fit with the Pats.

True, the Pats take guys they like that don't fit anywhere (Klecko), but gambling in round one isn't the same as taking a fourth round flyer with a guy like Klecko.

Can Beason play safely? Like Don Davis?

Still, the first round is the wrong place to take on a project like that.

Listen, I think we ALL love the draft, but to consider yourself an expert on these things is just ludicrous. We don't know exactly how the Pats feel about Beason, they may love him, they may hate him. All I know is, that I (and most of you) don't know sh*t. Probably most of us here would have moaned and groaned if we picked Demeco Ryans last year at #21 because of his size, but I bet we'd all be ordering 4 Games to Glory right now if we had picked Ryans. People worry too much about size, and 40 numbers, but give me a football player. I like guys like Poz, but 90% of you think he's too small. We shall see.

I see Beason as another Ryans/Vilma/Tatupu type, and would make our defense better. Not exactly my choice, I would prefer Siler or Poz over Beason, but none of us know what the Pat's braintrust will do.

Whatever. My original point was just that Kiper thinks Beason is good enough to be the first LB taken.

No. Kiper thinks that one of the teams will think so highly of Beason that they will draft Beason first. And you obviously don't understand the difference.

No. Kiper thinks that one of the teams will think so highly of Beason that they will draft Beason first. And you obviously don't understand the difference.

Fine. I think it's kind of a duh. In fact I value an actual NFL teams opinion of a player a lot more than some guy with big hair. And excuse you but I do understand the difference.

Last edited:
If we hit that draft, I would be very excited. 3 inside LB's taken would add up to an interesting training camp.

Fine. I think it's kind of a duh. In fact I value an actual NFL teams opinion of a player a lot more than some guy with big hair. And excuse you but I do understand the difference.

Not by the way you are posting, you don't.

And, if you value what a team think's more than Kiper, why are you complaining about how Kiper has players rated? Kind of stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back