PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Last Year's Indy loss in AFCCG...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NENGFAN

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Was it a catalyst for this season? I believe it was.

What "if" we won that game last year and the Super Bowl - do you think:

1) We would get Moss
2) Go 16-0
3) Brady gets the TD record?

I think answer to all of the above is "no". Plus if Spygate came out after we won 4 SBowls - it would have been worse. Blessing in disguise!

GO PATS!

Re: Last Year's Indy loss in AFCCG....

I think so too. The motto for this season from Belicheck is to play for "60 minutes". I think they still would have made a reciever overhaul. You could tell that Brady was having a hard time adjusting with his new recievers in '06. I think they still would have acquired Stalloworth because as soon as he was a free agent, he recieved a call from Tom Brady saying you need to come to New England. Also, Welker would have been acquired as well because Belicheck usually likes to sign players that "kills" his team in the past. I think any team would take a flyer on Moss when the Raiders would settle for a 4th rounder for him. Brady also lobbyied hard for the Patriots to accept the trade for Moss.

Last edited:

Yes, Yes, and Yes. BB understands as well as anyone that once you reach the top you have to work twice as hard to stay there. He does not get complacent.

I do wonder how last year's AFCCG would have turned out if not for the bum PI call for faceguarding...

1) We would get Moss
2) Go 16-0

I think answer to all of the above is "no". Plus if Spygate came out after we won 4 SBowls - it would have been worse. Blessing in disguise!

GO PATS!

Good points!

Uh, I guess next season is really gonna suck then...

1) We would get Moss
2) Go 16-0

I think answer to all of the above is "no".

FWIW, I think that the "casualty" if the Pats had won the Super Bowl would not have been Moss, but Stallworth and maybe Washington; the Pats probably wouldn't have seen any urgency in signing him/them. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind, though, that the Pats were going after Welker.

1) We would get Moss
2) Go 16-0

GO PATS!

All three are just as likely in my mind. The Raiders had just pulled off a good trade with us by getting our 5th rounder for Gabriel who they ended up getting back on the roster. The Patriots winning the Super Bowl wouldn't have prevent the Raiders from trading with us.

The Patriots still would have tried to get Moss because BB/Pioli aren't going to change their evaluation of their players just because they won a SB.

On top of that Mangini probably would have pulled the same hyjinx he did regardless of a hypothetical SB win giving the team something to rally around.

So I say yes to all 3.

No question the AFFCG loss still burns in the mind of the coaches and players who were here last year. As a fan it still does.

This season feels much akin to the 1994 season where the 49ers equipped their team to beat the Cowboys. The Pats offseason moves was to equip the team to overtake the Colts.

Reminds me of the 49ers in 1984. They lost a heartbreaker of an NFCCG against Washington the year prior when Ronnie Lott was called for an extremely questionable hold that allowed the Skins to kill the clock before winning with a chip-shot FG. They used that to fuel their fire in their 15-1 campaign and SB19 title.

Regards,
Chris

I don't recognize this thread title.........either

......it never happened.......or.......it has been erased

from my memory banks.

Thank you for your assimilation.......The BORG...

......and remember....."All Resistance is Futile"

1) We would get Moss
2) Go 16-0

GO PATS!
Everything happens for a reason.I prayed for Brady to get some explosive WR's.As we'll know my prayers were answered.

I don't recognize this thread title.........either

......it never happened.......or.......it has been erased

from my memory banks.

Thank you for your assimilation.......The BORG...

......and remember....."All Resistance is Futile"

I agree!! I can't even think of it again. I was on a cruise during that game watching it on the jumbotron. I was a fan maniac - until the end.

How ironic - While reading this thread, I get a spam email from the cruise line?????? This is the year for redemption for sure!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back