PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Last Year's Draft moves

Status
Not open for further replies.
PatsWickedPissah said:
Good analysis, consistent with BB's philosophy. We DO know that being human, sometimes they do a poor job of evaluating draftable talent. In 2000, Brady was the only keeper - in effect we spent our entire draft on him. :) 2001 was marginally better.

I cannot think of many drafts by any team that turned out better than spending the enitre draft on Tom Brady. (Thats not accurate either, we got SB contributions from some of the other picks too)

2001 was 'marginally better'?

How many teams found the best DL in the NFL, and their long term future at one of the most impoirtant spots on the field (LT) in one draft? Both were key ROOKIE contributors to a Championship.
Again other players in that draft class contributed.
That not many players are left from 5 and 6 year old draft classes is far from unusual.

AndyJohnson said:
Do you think we need 10 LBs?

At least 10! Id like to field 11! JK. Seriously, I see us drafting one high and one mid rounder, at minimum and depending how far someone like Gacong falls, maybe a third late. BB has said that at some point you need to cash in on future value or its of no value. This is the year at several pos. including OLB, ILB, CB, S, T, DE, QB, and TE. This is NOT a great year for WR, RB, OG/C, or DT. So what will BB do?

I think BB will try to trade down to the top of the second to pick up a third in addition. We dont need to draft a QB, TE, or T right now. We will fill those needs through FA. Yes they will fill the spots with some journeymen veterans. No need to chase a second tier talent at RB or WR high. There will be plenty of quality there next year, or so I've read. Those who think that the team will try to fill gaps in the starting line-up with big reach potential busts at RB, WR, OC/G, and DT are going to be in for a long weekend. We will prob. draft some of these mid/late based on value. Id also be shocked with a TE at #21. We dont need starting line up quality rookies at QB, or T either. So no high picks there either. So I see us stocking up on both LB pos, CB, and S in rds 2 and 3. That is where the value and BPA's will be in this draft, IMO. Having said that, Belioli will probably trade up and take Cutler.

No, I think we MIGHT just be able to find a linebacker who is an improvement over Banta-Cain or Alexander or Claridge or Davis or Izzo. Just maybe, we could upgrade on one of those players. Ya think!

And if you're happy with all nine of our present linebackers, then perhaps we should consider bringing in a picker or two to push Banta-Cain and Alexander.

Besides, we'sve kept 10 linebackers before. Personally, I think 8-9 is plenty. I prefer the extra defensive back, especially since it appears to be the year of keeping six safeties.

AndyJohnson said:
Do you think we need 10 LBs?

Last edited:
dr said:
I'd bet my house that a few of this years picks will be parlayed into future picks. It's part of their system.

No, that's not the system. The system is to stockpile picks into a single year, to build enough ammunition to target specific players that the staff likes. So, the pattern of trading down should be cyclical. Last year they traded down, this year they cash it in. The only way they trade out is if the get locked out for the players they want. By all accounts, this is a draft year where it's worth cashing in.

Great stuff. I'm enjoying this discussion quite a bit. Pre-draft is always such a fun time to speculate on the new guys who might join the team. We in essence have an extra third round (i think) pick this year in the form of Claridge who wasn't able to play last year. How do you guys think Ryan will stack up against this years crop of talent? Would he have fallen to the fourth round or stayed just where he was picked?

With all the needs we have to shore up certain positions on the team, this year looks like a good draft to have lots of picks to, maybe not get the lottery pick type player but the solid role player that every team has to have throughout their roster.

PatsFanInVa said:
I so hate speculation on draft picks. You end up all psyched about Polamalu or somebody and pissed off when they go elsewhere... but...

If we really believe that BB just plain won't draft a linebacker, where does corner fit in, in the coached-skills continuum? My impression - and I'm always happy to learn I'm wrong - is that the Pats' system isn't that different or more difficult for a corner to learn than anybody else's. Or maybe Ellis Hobbs just makes it look that way.

For raw speed, there's Tye Hill. For hands, height, and good (just not Hill) speed, there's Cromartie. Both will be around at 21, I'm betting. (Hill is probably a reach at 21.)

Having said that, I do realize the most likely pick is whoever nobody's mentioned, preferably with experience in wrestling, rodeo, or some Afghan game where the end zones are two mountains, the field is the valley, and you ride horses and use a goat for the ball. I personally think we need one of those guys.

PFnV
I don't think BB ever said he just plain won't draft a linebacker, just that his preference is to use high draft picks on positions where less on-field decision-making (and communication) is required, as these players have a better chance of making an immediate contribution.

The "somebody nobody has mentioned" pick does seem to be a good bet though, based on BB's history!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye