Welcome to PatsFans.com

Last week was return coverage...

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by patsox23, Sep 27, 2007.

1. patsox23

patsox23 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +17 / 1 / -0

...this week it's red-zone D. I expect the Patriots to give up some points to Cincy - they're a damn good offense, an elite group of playmakers - but I also expect it will be the best the Patriots D has played in the red zone all year. It's a point of emphasis and, I suspect after BB continues to drill them on it in practice this week, will be a point of pride for the defense. Looking forward to watching that play out.

2. patsox23

Ratings:
    +17 / 1 / -0

I think this discussion merits a bump, if I do say so myself. My expectation is that this will be the aspect of this week's game that gets "cinched up." Should be a helluva test, and if the Pats pass that test, there's going to be even more over-the-top B.S. for the next however long.

3. FlyingElvis75

FlyingElvis75 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Eww, doesn't self-bumping make you feel...dirty?

Seriously though, they were talking about it after week 2, too. I hope there will be improvement, but I don't think it will happen overnight.

OTOH, they only had one red-zone stop opportunity last week - not exactly a valid sample size.

4. patsox23

Ratings:
    +17 / 1 / -0

Self-bumping is, in some ways, at some times, preferable. You don't have to worry about "taking care of" your partner if you happen to be in a lazy, selfish mood. Also, in your imagination, you can "bump" her hot friends as much as you feel like.

5. FlyingElvis75

FlyingElvis75 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

There is wisdom in your words.

6. Frezo

Frezo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#50 Jersey

I have learned how to bump in hi-def.

7. patsox23

Ratings:
    +17 / 1 / -0

Getting back on track, my based-on-nothing, totally useless prediction is that the Patriots D gives up only 2 red zone TD's this weekend, plus maybe one FG (and perhaps another but from outside the RZ). That wouldn't be great, but it would be improvement - and against a loaded (if slightly hobbled right now) Cincy O, that's a pretty solid job.

8. Frezo

Frezo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#50 Jersey

I say they'll score once from within the RZ, but will score twice from outside it. Hoochspin and CJ are both capable of big plays and can get by the best DBs at least once during a game.

9. TheBaronPatriot

TheBaronPatriot On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

#91 Jersey

I expect to see some soft coverage which allow the Bengals WR to catch the ball but not go anywhere. And Mix up the coverage to try to confuse Palmer while bringing pressure from all angles.
    Sometimes it will work and Palmer will make a mistake or be sacked.
    At other times, you will see a Bengals WR catch it without a Pat in the picture but be tackled immediately.
    The name of the game is to NOT give up the big play while forcing mistakes.

I also expect AD to protect the middle and enforce it as a physical pass catching zone.