Welcome to PatsFans.com

Last week 26 Americans ,CIA employees,went on trial in Milan, Italy for kidnapping

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by weswelker#83, Apr 23, 2008.

1. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +476 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

Re: Last week 26 Americans ,CIA employees,went on trial in Milan, Italy for kidnappin

quite an amusing story ... I enjoyed it.
    Also .. at the end of the article I found a story about nukes and Vietnam ... I will post it ... thanks Wes.;)
  3. Turk

Turk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

This guy was probably water-boarded

...Renditions,” as the kidnappings are called, were all the rage in 2003, not arrests.
    The CIA’s Counterterrorism Center gave Castelli his head. Lady, ever the good soldier, went along. Mr. Bob’s team play cost him his retirement home, which was seized by Italian authorities when he fled, and eventually, his wife. “I don’t blame her,” Lady told writer Matthew Cole, the only journalist known to have interviewed the ex-CIA man, in a little noticed piece in the March 2007 issue of GQ magazine....

“She’s been living with a guy who is frustrated and powerless,” Lady said. “I can’t take this stuff out on anyone, so she has to bear the load. It’s too much. Why should she have to deal with this?” The Italian dream has evaporated. Even the family photos and other mementos left behind could be auctioned off with the house, if he’s convicted. And there’s little doubt of that. “I’ll probably be convicted,” Lady told Cole. “But I won’t go to the trial, and I’ll never see Italy again.” In the ultimate irony, his house could end up the property of al Qaeda suspect Abu Omar, who’s recovering in Egypt from wounds suffered at the hands of Egyptian interrogators, to whom the CIA delivered him in February 2003....
  4. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Re: This guy was probably water-boarded

I doubt he was waterboarded. In Egypt, they actually know what torture is and how to apply it.
  5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Yes...our friends the Egyptians...right up there with the Israelis and Saudis.
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

This is probably going to get squashed in the next 12 months.
  7. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

The guy was Egyptian, wasn't he? They took him to his home soil for questioning.

And what's with the Italian judge saying he gave up his diplomatic immunity when he retired?

That sort of thing could be interesting...maybe NYC can finally collect on all those parking tickets around the UN, huh?
  8. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

You have to be italian to understand italian politics and law. To put it lightly, it's not objective in any way. That doesn't mean that laws weren't broken here, or that the actions were just. It simply is being said to show that anyone in politics, or law, who feels a certain way, or wants an agenda met in Italy, will use their power in whatever means possible to see it through. This will disappear, or find a wink-wink solution, inside the next 12 months. That's how Italy works. Berlusconi just won last weeks election, and this will disappear, right, or wrong. There's a reason why they've had 62 different governments, in 63 years over there.
  9. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I love that idea!
    Man! Term limits DREAM!
  10. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +476 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

The way I read the story goes with what you say here. I got the feeling the terrorist was guilty as hell but the Italians did not authorize what was done ... a political power play. In any case ... it was a trial with no live defendants ... so it was like watching Italian Judge Judy or what?

I'm Italian and I love the Italian corruption stories ... they make for great reading.
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

It's a real banana republic over there. Beautiful country, but light years behind.
  12. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +476 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

Yes and the women are years ahead in the pleasing your man department.:D:D:D:D