PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Last time the defense scored points

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFaninAZ

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Patriots have now gone 25 games since the defense has last scored points -- a fumble/int return, a block and return, or a safety. It last happened 12/16/07 in the first quarter against the Jets, interception return by Wilson.

It's not really a big deal -- the Patriots' record has been very good overall in those 25 games. But that was either the 6th or 7th time the defense scored points that year, and now it's been 25 games since.

Not sure what to make of that. Perhaps it's just coincidence. Perhaps it means something about defensive style. Or perhaps it's just a function of the fact that since that time the Patriots have played many close games and defensive points tend to happen when you already have a good lead and teams press against you. I'm not sure. It's just kind of interesting to note.

Patriots have now gone 25 games since the defense has last scored points -- a fumble/int return, a block and return, or a safety. It last happened 12/16/07 in the first quarter against the Jets, interception return by Wilson.

It's not really a big deal -- the Patriots' record has been very good overall in those 25 games. But that was either the 6th or 7th time the defense scored points that year, and now it's been 25 games since.

Not sure what to make of that. Perhaps it's just coincidence. Perhaps it means something about defensive style. Or perhaps it's just a function of the fact that since that time the Patriots have played many close games and defensive points tend to happen when you already have a good lead and teams press against you. I'm not sure. It's just kind of interesting to note.

Good catch. I do think the team lacked some playmakers last year on D but your would figure that they'd get one quirky TO 4 a TD

Two thoughts:

1. 2007 was the last time we had a playmaking DB. Asante Samuel was a terrific ballhawk. I have to believe that between Meriweather, Bodden, Butler and McGowan that we have plenty of folks to jump routes and make the big INT.

2. In 2007 we usually had huge leads, forcing other teams to abandon the run. The lack of need to play the run and the big cushion allowed us to take chances and take chances going for INTs.

I have a feeling that streak will end before the bye week.

Great data point, and speaks to the lack of ballhawking playmakers currently on the D. For as much of a tackling machine as Mayo has been, even he admitted in the offseason that it was time for him to start filling out some of the other columns on the stat sheet.

On the bright side, watching him play, you can't help but feel that Meriweather is poised to break out with a few huge plays. This last game he was inches away on a few plays from pulling off gamechanging picks.

(In fact, wasn't it Meriweather who forced the fumble on McKelvin?)

Last edited:
The last time I remember the defense scoring points was Asante Samuel's TD in 2007 against the Eagles

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes