PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Last Raiders game Al Davis sees: his team defeated by Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Since1971

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I find this ironic given the history between thee two teams: Darryl Stingley hit and paralysis by jack Tatum, 1976 AFC Championship game where Ben Dreith flags Pats Sugar Bear Hamilton for a penalty (roughing Ken Stabler, for those old enough to remember) Given the fact it was 1976, he literally bearly touched Stabler, the call added to a long list between the teams)The Patriots almost certainly would have beaten the Vikings in the Super Bowl, would have been the favorites anyway.

And then of course the Snow Bowl game. In my opinion, this was the what comes around, goes around game given prior history/incidences between these teams.

Very ironic that Davis sees the PAts beat Raiders the last time he sees the Raiders play.

I find this ironic given the history between thee two teams: Darryl Stingley hit and paralysis by jack Tatum, 1976 AFC Championship game where Ben Dreith flags Pats Sugar Bear Hamilton for a penalty (roughing Ken Stabler, for those old enough to remember) Given the fact it was 1976, he literally bearly touched Stabler, the call added to a long list between the teams)The Patriots almost certainly would have beaten the Vikings in the Super Bowl, would have been the favorites anyway.

And then of course the Snow Bowl game. In my opinion, this was the what comes around, goes around game given prior history/incidences between these teams.

Very ironic that Davis sees the PAts beat Raiders the last time he sees the Raiders play.

It was the divisional game, we would have played Pittsburgh in the AFC title game. Sort of weird though when you consider that we were screwed that year and they went on to beat Pittsburgh en route to the Superbowl and in 01 they felt screwed and we went through Pittsburgh to go to the Superbowl.

How is this Ironic unless his first game was the Raiders beating the Pats?

Dont forget Plunkett traded to the Raiders and winning 2 SBs.

At least he got to see them beatdown the jets one last time.

If his health was this tenuous why did they allow him to come watch the game? I mean that Campbell Int to Chung can be hazardous to anyone's or even a teenagers health let alone someone who due to today's event was not in the best of health.

Can we consider Jamarcus Russell as his biggest failure in regards to going after a player? I can't think of anyone else.

Don't forget the 1985 Divisional Playoff Game - one of the toughest playoff games ever played by the Patriots with Mosi tatupu, Tony Collins, Robert Weathers and Craig James pounding away all game. Craig James was a monster with more than 100 yards rushing and 50 yards receiving.

Great players in that game: John Hannah, Andre Tippett, Howie Long, Marcus Allen, Mike Haynes, Irving Fryar, Stanley Morgan, Raymond Clayborn. Tony Eason in a supporting role did fine and didn't throw a pick.

Great one. I saw that in a bar at Logan Airport which was snowed in. Crowd was loud and enjoying being stuck.

Aloha, Al.

Can we consider Jamarcus Russell as his biggest failure in regards to going after a player? I can't think of anyone else.

Todd Marinovich stunk as a #1 QB, but nothing like Jamarcus "I got me my money" Russell.

I find it fitting in some ways - Davis and Belichick had mutual respect... neither sugar coats things

Davis was one of the few who came to Belichick's defense during Spygate, affirming and reaffirming the extent to which signal stealing and spying date back to George Halas and Lamar Hunt in the 1950s

That type of blunt honesty never made Davis too many friends - certainly not in Commissioner Goodell's office

In some ways Belichick's lack of tolerance for Goodell's BS is carrying on Davis' tradition

It was the divisional game, we would have played Pittsburgh in the AFC title game. Sort of weird though when you consider that we were screwed that year and they went on to beat Pittsburgh en route to the Superbowl and in 01 they felt screwed and we went through Pittsburgh to go to the Superbowl.

In '76 the Steelers were decimated by injuries at that point; it was nearly a sure thing that whoever won the game between the Pats and Raiders would win the AFCCG. In that time period the AFC was the better conference, winning 11 out of 13 Super Bowls. To this day I am extremely confident that had that call not been made then the Pats would have won the Super Bowl that year.

Too bad Al couldn't be sent off with a victory (at another team's expense, of course). In the last game he saw before dying, George Halas's Bears were defeated by Detroit.

Dont forget Plunkett traded to the Raiders and winning 2 SBs.

actually, plunkett was traded to the 9ers, cut by them and picked up off the scrap heap by al to win 2 sb, not to be a pain in the ....:)

Yup! Remember it well! I became a Pat's fan in 76 ( Viking's Tarkenton before) and Pats DEFINITELY GOT ROBBED in that game or it would have been Pats vs Vikings that year.

R I P Al

Didn't know that out of our the road games thus far, that the raiders were the only organization to hold a moment of silence for Myra. Made me respect that organization a little more. Al Davis was a true pioneer in the game we love, may he rest in peace.

Marc Wilson in the 80's, Al gave him big money and held on to him for six years which began their descent from the upper echelon of NFL

Not ironic. Probably bittersweet for Bill and Robert.

Old Al made those Star Trek glasses everyone wears now look good back in his heyday. It's sad that a staple of the old AFL and now NFL is gone.

They showed his owner's box during the game last week and I couldn't see him. I wonder if we was even in it?

So, I hate the Raiders, but have respect. RIP Al Davis.

Don't forget the 1985 Divisional Playoff Game - one of the toughest playoff games ever played by the Patriots with Mosi tatupu, Tony Collins, Robert Weathers and Craig James pounding away all game. Craig James was a monster with more than 100 yards rushing and 50 yards receiving.

Great players in that game: John Hannah, Andre Tippett, Howie Long, Marcus Allen, Mike Haynes, Irving Fryar, Stanley Morgan, Raymond Clayborn. Tony Eason in a supporting role did fine and didn't throw a pick.

Great one. I saw that in a bar at Logan Airport which was snowed in. Crowd was loud and enjoying being stuck.

Aloha, Al.

That was the game Matt Millen decked Pat Sullivan after the game.

I'm sorry, but with his passing my thoughts are not on karma or him seeing his team get defeated for the last game he watches. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes