Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Cornerned or not about last nights result?

• Meh - Its a presaeason game,starters were playing to not get hurt

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • Its concerning,I see a lot of problems with this team exposed last night

Votes: 30 41.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Last nights game...Concerned or Not?

Well, they didn't play well last night, so you have to have some level of concern if you have a commitment/rooting interest to the team.
But, that level of concern has to be heavily tempered by the fact that while they were playing football there were other concerns that playing to be as effective as possible. I can say with certainty that the defenses that were called were based upon many other things (personell groupings, working on techniques, and very likely calling a defense that was played poorly over and over until it was done right, etc) than what had the best chance to stop the Rams.
Sure it would be great to play vanilla defense and dominate, but it is also isnt necessary. I am OK with a Bill Belichick team that needs good gameplanning to play well.
IMO, there were as many answers as questions last night.
-Welker is 100%
-Brady is 100%
-Brace is a beast
-The OL is cohesive in pass blocking....there wasnt enough running last night to judge the run blocking
-We have more and better weapons in the passing game than ever
-There is a lot of athletic ability, youth, speed and talent on the defensive side of the ball for BB to game plan with.
-Brady in the condition he is in with these weapons could win 12 games with anyones defense.

I can say with certainty that the defenses that were called were based upon many other things (personell groupings, working on techniques, and very likely calling a defense that was played poorly over and over until it was done right, etc) than what had the best chance to stop the Rams.

This is also what I saw.. the few times we were in cover 0 or 1, we stopped Bradford, intercepted and sacked him.

If this had been a game for real, there's no question the coverage would have been changed.

That Linebackers coach (Patricia) looks like he could be a serial killer - Scary lookin' man

Not concerned. Preaseason doesn't mean all that much. Not saying I think the Pats are going to be some unstoppable juggernaut either. I just don't think this loss spells doom for the season or that the team has problems all over the place. I've seen them look far worse in past preseasons and go on to have great years.

This is also what I saw.. the few times we were in cover 0 or 1, we stopped Bradford, intercepted and sacked him.

If this had been a game for real, there's no question the coverage would have been changed.
I don't doubt for a second that BB will use preseason games to put players in a position to fail and see how they handle it. What I mean is call the defense they are struggling the most with as often as possible.
There is a great story about how when he was with the Giants in a preseason game they played nickel and were getting run to death on. Pepper was getting pissed that he kept calling nickel and wouldn't let them defend the run that he knew was coming, and BB kept calling it and told him they would play that as long as they needed to until they stopped the run from it.
Its an example of an exagrated case of making a point but THAT is more instructive in understanding how we play the preseason than people questioning the game plan and how we couldnt figure out how to stop a rookie.

Their defense is very young and will make mistakes. Had they won after that mess of a first half, BB wouldn't have had that stick to hit them over the head with.

I imagine he is going to watch them like a shepherd this year, so as long as they stay focused, they will eventually get caught up. I'd rather see them make mistakes trying to adapt to the system, than "big plays".

Hopefully by December, they're playing instinctively, but I'm being patient. Possibly uncertainty, rather than sluggishness was what was demonstrated Thursday. We'll see.

I am concerned about the young defensive stars' apparent attitudes. Celebrating a play that is NOT a 3rd down stop just to celebrate oneself. And while on the sideline smiling and joking as a neophyte QB of a losing team yet again effortlessly marches downfield. I don't care if it's just summer football. Brady takes bad play seriously, Harrison and Bruschi did. We need a more serious approach to winning, not just making a highlight play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back