Welcome to PatsFans.com

Last Against the Wall Come the Revolution

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsFanInVa, Aug 4, 2010.

1. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +555 / 7 / -9

Bill Gates and Warren Buffet persuade 40 billionaires to donate 1/2 their wealth:

40 billionaires pledge to donate half their wealth - U.S. news - Giving - msnbc.com

Pretty impressive. That's at least 20 billion bucks. Obviously a drop in the bucket given the enormity of all that's wrong with the world. But it's 20 billion more than before they started.

I know, I know, they have to all live in the slums of Calcutta for it to matter, because if they're not suffering they haven't attained some dimensionless personal virtue.

But the various things wrong with the world are 20 billion bucks less wrong, regardless.

PFnV
  2. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So when they die, they're going to donate their money to charity instead of "donating" it to the Federal government while leaving their offspring with more money than any of us could ever dream of owning. Whoop-de-do.
  3. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +247 / 3 / -4

yeah, what as*holes
  4. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Sad how you have to put words in my mouth. Just more of your usual ignorance and intellectual bankrupcy on display. Many of these people have done wonderful things. For example, I think Bill & Melinda Gates have done terrific work during their lives in the Foundation they run.
  5. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +247 / 3 / -4

Maybe that's what you should have said in the first place, rather than glibly downplaying the actions of people who will do far more for others than you ever will.
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

That to whom much is given, much is expected...

This is a good effort..
  7. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +555 / 7 / -9

And that's all I am saying.

Obviously, people who have only, oh, say, a million in cash at death, could also sign on. There are a lot more millionaires than billionaires, and you could still take care of your surviving family (assuming a standard end-of-life scenario.) I personally think kids should start at or close to a level playing field. I am against willing TONS of money to kids, because it just turns them into buttwipes.

But that's just me.

I don't know how anybody could be against this effort, and I have no idea why we'd want to trivialize it - but knew it was inevitable we would.

PFnV
  8. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

Even more why politicize it??? Some things need to be taken at face value..
  9. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +375 / 3 / -15

I just LOVE how often you use this idiotic statement. For those who have actually EARNED their wealth, NOTHING has been "GIVEN" to them.

THEY EARNED IT!

"To those who have EARNED much, not much is expected"

I like that one better!

NOw if you're referring to those who inherit their wealth, then your favorite quote applies.
  10. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

That's a good point. I know that if I had spent years building a financial empire, I would want the freedom to be able to do what I want with it.

But I am agreeing with PFinVA's original statement. The idea of these guys donating there money is awesome. Yes, it may not be much considering the enormity of the problem, but think of how many lives that money will affect and/or save! A lot to be sure. Charity is definitely the way to go, a lot of charitable organizations do some amazing work. Good for these guys for trying to help their fellow man.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  11. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +375 / 3 / -15

You're right Army (and so is PFiVA)! What Bill Gates has done on a social level is even better than what he has accomplished in business.

What gets me are those who use the phrase "the wealthy" as if they are somehow more inherently evil or even just less good than the average Joe or Jane. Wealthy people are no different than anyone else as far as "good or bad" goes and we need to stop pointing our fingers at them as if they are more to blame than anyone else.
  12. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

Dear dumbass.. it is a biblical quote, take it or leave it.. it has to do with charity, and a very good way to live your life .. no more, no less.. thanks for paying attention.

Luke 12:48

13. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +375 / 3 / -15

You should at least get a warning for NAME CALLING.

Moderators?

You must be very frustrated Darryl...but you need to get over it!:D
  14. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +507 / 6 / -2

It comes down to jelousy and envy PR. They see people with a lot more than them, and they think it isn't fair.
  15. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

In the immortal words of Wolfie.. terms like "whiny bytch" come to mind, but I do not play that came..

The reality is that you minimized a comment that is well known amongst most, and did not understand the context... so instead of checking what it meant, you just reacted.. not a very intelligent way to proceed.
  16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

There are two types of wealthy. Those who made it from scratch and hard work and those who were born into it and have never done a day's work in their lives. That's a big difference to me and a lot of people. Paris Hilton comes to mind, but you know who I mean- the ones who pay little or no taxes proportionally to their wealth because of shelters. Gates and Buffet are good in my book (I think). Anyone who makes the choice to give their money to charity (as long as it isn't the HRCC) is doing a good thing.
  17. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +247 / 3 / -4

Just 1 addition here: plenty of people born into wealth avoid being f*ckups and lead productive lives of their own, some living pretty ordinary lives financially speaking, but with a very nice nest egg providing comfort most of us don't have, and others going on to add to their financial headstart.
  18. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +375 / 3 / -15

I was familiar with the origins of your favorite quote. I was merely pointing out that just because you make more does not mean one should/must give more.

Some people would prefer to spend their money building a secure future for their children, travelling the world or "heaven forbid" just spending it on themselves!

Neither you nor I are in a position to say what others "should" do.
  19. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +375 / 3 / -15

...or the democratic party! Neither party is more righteos or moral than the other!;)

My greatest wish is that no one ever donated money to either party.
  20. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If a guy worth $50 billion gives $25 billion to charity posthumously, he hasn't sacrificed a single thing. So while I agree they'll do far more than I ever will, I know that I've sacrificed far more than they - or you - ever will.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2010