PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Last 3 in 2014...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty confident that it is.
Why else would you play nickel against Geno Smith all day?
Short week of preparation after losing key guys.

The Pats didn't trot out that game plan against Luck.

Which is my point. If they didn't use that game plan against Luck in Indy, do you really think they are going to revert back to it against Miami at home?

I was just thinking the same thing. I'm glad that someone else either has insomnia like me, or is choosing to start their day at the crack ass of dawn ;)

Woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't get back to sleep. Fell asleep after I posted this. I guess I really needed to write the post so much, it was keeping me up.

Which is my point. If they didn't use that game plan against Luck in Indy, do you really think they are going to revert back to it against Miami at home?
Ryan Tannehill has more rushing yards out of the read option than any quarterback in the NFL. Yes, it is a distinct possibility that the coaching staff trots that out again.

Ryan Tannehill has more rushing yards out of the read option than any quarterback in the NFL. Yes, it is a distinct possibility that the coaching staff trots that out again.

At this point, I think it's time to just trust the defensive coaches and accept whatever they think gives them the best chance of winning.

At this point, I think it's time to just trust the defensive coaches and accept whatever they think gives them the best chance of winning.

You can do that. I'll continue to criticize that game plan especially as it applies to teams like the Jets and Dolphins.

And we could hold him to 5.6 yards per attempt, like we did in the opener. The problem there was the offense and the run defense, not the pass rush.

Edit: Yards per pass attempt I should say. He rushed 3 times for -2 yards in that game, I assume on kneeldowns.

And we could hold him to 5.6 yards per attempt, like we did in the opener. The problem there was the offense and the run defense, not the pass rush.

Tannehill was having very few issues finding the holes in the zone when he did drop back to pass. If the team was lining up man to man, their receivers wouldn't be able to get open. Our CB's would have locked them down because we're much better equipped to play press man. As I said earlier, if you're that concerned about Tannehill running, dedicate a spy to him. Miami is not an offensive juggernaut. They won't be able to make you pay for doing that and they certainly won't come anywhere near 33 points again.

Tannehill was having very few issues finding the holes in the zone when he did drop back to pass. If the team was lining up man to man, their receivers wouldn't be able to get open. Our CB's would have locked them down because we're much better equipped to play press man. As I said earlier, if you're that concerned about Tannehill running, dedicate a spy to him. Miami is not an offensive juggernaut. They won't be able to make you pay for doing that and they certainly won't come anywhere near 33 points again.

They certainly won't... because our run defense is better and they don't have Moreno anymore. I'm not saying we won't change the philosophy, just that I don't think we need to. That game was not lost by our lack of pressure on Tannehill.

They won't be able to make you pay for doing that and they certainly won't come anywhere near 33 points again.

To be fair to the defense 17 points they allowed came when Miami started at the NE 15, 30, and 15

Ya I know they could have stopped them on the 2 TD and kept them to FGs. But when your offense and ST are the reason why the other team is starting basically in your red zone 3 times hard to really put it on the defense.

In that game the defense only gave up 1 long TD drive of 85 yards and Miami's other long drives were 55, 66, and 50 and they settled for FGs on all 3.

They certainly won't... because our run defense is better and they don't have Moreno anymore. I'm not saying we won't change the philosophy, just that I don't think we need to. That game was not lost by our lack of pressure on Tannehill.

No. That game was lost because they had no trouble running on us and, when they were forced into third downs, had no problem picking apart the off zone we were giving them time and time again because Belichick didn't want his DB's to turn their backs to the offensive backfield. This team is much, MUCH better equipped to shut and offense down going man to man and playing press across the board than they are sitting back in a zone and making sure they don't get gashed by a run or beat over the top. Play the way I state they should, and this should be a very easy double digit win. Play the way they did in Week 1 or against the Jets, and they'll have to hang on for dear life.

I wasn't going to use that example given how recent it is, but that gameplan only guaranteed that the Pats died by 1,000 papercuts. Any defensive game plan that forces one punt for the entirety of the game and doesn't hold until the opponent is in the red zone (thereby chewing up T.O.P. and taking opportunities away from an offense that desperately needed them) is a **** one. The difference here is that Green Bay has enough weapons to make you pay for dedicating a spy to Rodgers. The Dolphins and the Jets do not. Why we continue to play the latter two like that is absolutely beyond me.

Call that damned push-off against Adams (on Dennard) and Green bay is punting. that's the thing about the bend-don't-break...you need a couple of breaks or you'll never get off the field.

I agree with being more aggressive against Miami and the Jets.

No. That game was lost because they had no trouble running on us and, when they were forced into third downs, had no problem picking apart the off zone we were giving them time and time again because Belichick didn't want his DB's to turn their backs to the offensive backfield. This team is much, MUCH better equipped to shut and offense down going man to man and playing press across the board than they are sitting back in a zone and making sure they don't get gashed by a run or beat over the top. Play the way I state they should, and this should be a very easy double digit win. Play the way they did in Week 1 or against the Jets, and they'll have to hang on for dear life.

Again, only if the offense struggles and the run D is non existent again. I really think you're overstating the deficiencies in the pass defense gameplan, but I can see we're just going back and forth on this. I'd rather we just agree to disagree.

I just wish BB would listen to all these fans who can educate him about how is players are supposed to used.
We would be like 100-0 the last 6 years.

You can do that. I'll continue to criticize that game plan especially as it applies to teams like the Jets and Dolphins.

You'll criticize game plans that haven't even happened yet?

Buffalo. They are a QB away from being s really good team. Miami,can't setup the run and the jets secondary,is crap.

You'll criticize game plans that haven't even happened yet?

That's a nice construction of a straw man since I never said that. I'll criticize it's use previously and all future uses if it's rolled out again.

That's a nice construction of a straw man since I never said that. I'll criticize it's use previously and all future uses if it's rolled out again.

It's not a straw man at all. I said:

The implication being moving forward. The coaches have figured out the unit and the results have been excellent for weeks now.

To which you replied:

Which is exactly what I said, criticizing the team for game plans that haven't even happened yet. I agreed with you back in the first meeting with the Jets that their approach was puzzling, but that isn't germane to this discussion, it was purely looking ahead. Even more so when you consider that they didn't use the heavy zone against the recent mobile quarterbacks they've faced.

Last edited:
The Fish are next up and they need our best beatdown possible! And thereby serve notice to NY and Buffalo what's in store for them.......... 13-3 or bust!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes