PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

larry birds rookie year.

It was only a year or so before Larry signed with us, that things hit rock bottom...I remained a huge Celtics fan, but the fact is, Red was leaving. Red didn't take the flight down to NYC to talk with Sonny Werblin about the weather. In retrospect, it was the least Red could do, for his own self-esteem. Amazingly ironic, isn't it, that John Y. and Walter shared the same last name? Anyway, besides Larry, we got M.L., coach Fitch and Mr. Mangurian as principal owner. Notice please, that we did NOT replace our Lucky the Leprechaun logo with GreenMax Headroom and dress Bird and his teammates up like clowns. This in stark contrast to the Patriots destroying their logo and uniforms in '93.

It was only a year or so before Larry signed with us, that things hit rock bottom...I remained a huge Celtics fan, but the fact is, Red was leaving. Red didn't take the flight down to NYC to talk with Sonny Werblin about the weather. In retrospect, it was the least Red could do, for his own self-esteem. Amazingly ironic, isn't it, that John Y. and Walter shared the same last name? Anyway, besides Larry, we got M.L., coach Fitch and Mr. Mangurian as principal owner. Notice please, that we did NOT replace our Lucky the Leprechaun logo with GreenMax Headroom and dress Bird and his teammates up like clowns. This in stark contrast to the Patriots destroying their logo and uniforms in '93.
that's nice but i like the current pats uniforms. the old ones didn't have the logo on the sleeve. that ruins it for me. anyway what larry did to turn the Celtics around was amazing. he did it without mchale and dj and parish. they went from 20 something wins to 61 in 1980 larry's rookie year.

They went from 29 to 61 wins.. When they started off strong one of the reporters asked the Washington Center (Hayes?)what he thought about the Celtics and his famous response was,
" Come back to me when they win 29 games." They did and 32 more..

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back