PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

LaRon Landry helmet to helmet hit on Julian Edelman

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not a penalty to execute a tackle that is not textbook. There is no way that it is a penalty to have your head down when you tackle. Poor fundamentals but not a penalty in any way.

I agree, it is not a penalty to execute a poor tackle or have your head down during a tackle.

However, it appears he's leading with his head. That's the part that could be spearing.

It's pretty close and I could see the shoulder. I also think he is leading with the helmet though.

I agree, it is not a penalty to execute a poor tackle or have your head down during a tackle.

However, it appears he's leading with his head. That's the part that could be spearing.

It's pretty close and I could see the shoulder. I also think he is leading with the helmet though.

It's not spearing. Going frame by frame from 0:13 to 0:14 makes it clear. The one who ends up leading with his head is Edelman, not Landry.

Last edited:
I wonder if the people who think this wasn't a clean hit maybe aren't taking into account the angle that the hit came from? It's not like Landry was in front of JE. Considering the angle and how low Edelperson was, Landry would probably have had to hip-check him to avoid a collision involving his helmet.

What do you want him to lead with, his feet? It is impossible to make a proper tackle without your head getting there first. The problem is when you use your head to deliver the blow, which is not what Landry did, he delivered the blow with his shoulder. Please explain what you would have wanted him to do, because I am totally confusued now.

Landry should have led with his bicep.

landrygiant0212-e1330035559302.jpg

After reviewing the play 7000 further times, I will concede that it was not spearing.

What a productive Sunday this has been :p

It has been proposed here that it's OK to hit a runner with your helmet, as Landry did to Edelman, because he was running and therefore not defenseless.

I was surprised no one challenged that as I thought Landry was guilty of what we used to call spearing. I'm not a rule expert, but i believe I'm right and he should have been penalized.

Rule 12, Section 2, Article 8 (Unnecessary roughness) in the NFL rulebook

NFL rulebook: Unnecessary roughness - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN

They give special attention to marginal, or incidental shots to those in defenseless postures, but leading with the crown of your helmet has always been a penalty. Right or wrong?

[I haven't rewatched it, BTW, my memory of the contact could be wrong]

I will have to agree with only if you agree that several of Brandon Spikes bone jarring hits that caused fumbles were also against the rules. Most of Spikes hits happened when he lowered his head and drove it into the ball carrier. I am not going to say those hits were illegal and neither should you.

I wish this was a penalty, but it was a clean hit. I hope Edelman has a speedy recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back