PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lance Briggs: FA Want List?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone mentioned London Fletcher. Is he a free agent this coming offseason? If so, I'd definitely throw a good chunk of cash his way. He's a stud. He's not Takeo Spikes, but he's real good.

He's 32 and only 5-11. I'd pursue Briggs and Thomas before him.

Someone mentioned London Fletcher. Is he a free agent this coming offseason? If so, I'd definitely throw a good chunk of cash his way. He's a stud. He's not Takeo Spikes, but he's real good.

Id have to agree although it goes back to the youth thing. Hes going to be in his tenth year next year and he wont be getting any younger either. It would be great to bring him on board though.

This team should really adress the draft and FA with LB's and DB's because this team is hurting in both.

The number one priority in free agency for the New England Patriots will be cornerback, especially if Asante Samuel departs. The depth at cornerback position is especially thin:

Ellis Hobbs
Asante Samuel (unrestricted free agent in 2007)
Chad Scott
Randall Gay (injured reserve)

Unlike LB, CB is one area where the Pats have had success from BB-era drafts: Gay was a UDFA, Samuel was a 4th rounder, and Hobbs was a #3. With their plethora of picks, I feel comfortable looking to the draft and low-priced FAs for DBs. Moreover, history says that the Pats will not let Samuel walk for nothing. So, more picks could be on the way.

Last edited:
He would be on my list of potential FA's for the pats..

No way. If the Bears give him that kind of money they would be the Colts of defense.

Please elaborate.

As far as I can tell, the Bears have been spending more on offense than they have on defense.

The highest LB drafted in the BB era was Ryan Claridge (5th).

Undersized DEs are used by BB to play OLB, not ILB. In Bruschi's case, he was initially used as a situational edge rusher, but was too small and slow to be effective in that role. Years later, Bruschi developed into a ILB.

It will likely take at least 3 years for a rookie LB to learn BB's system. Therefore, since the Pats are playing for the present, it's unrealistic to expect a rookie to come in and start in 2007. Moreover, this doesn't look like a strong draft.

Why didn't BB draft LBs on day one? Because none of them were worth drafting when the Pats were on the clock. Therefore, FA is the only way to go.

Why Briggs?

Here's a list...

2007 NFL FA LBs

Outside of Briggs, I don't see any Vrabels or Tedys on that list. Maybe Thomas. But he'll turn 30 next year and will also have his suitors. Better to overspend on a great LB then a solid one.

I don't understand why we can't draft linebackers and also pick up free agents.

Not every free agent works out either, (Beisel).

I'd love to draft an undersized DE and use him as a pass rusher until he's ready to play OLB.

Or draft a LB like Briggs who was a LB in college.

Lat year was a weak year for WR, but we picked one high. Maybe we go against the tide this year.

Hard to say BB can't pick linebackers who succeed. What's he picked 2 in his whole tenure?

I suppose if Lamarr Woodley's available we pick 2 tight ends instead?

I suppose if Lamarr Woodley's available we pick 2 tight ends instead?

FRom all accounts he will be available for one of our picks but so will Paul Posluszny by some reports. I like both preferably.

I'd love to draft an undersized DE and use him as a pass rusher until he's ready to play OLB.

Lat year was a weak year for WR, but we picked one high. Maybe we go against the tide this year.

Hard to say BB can't pick linebackers who succeed. What's he picked 2 in his whole tenure?

Yes. Two. Claridge, who was a bust, and TBC, who in his 4th season, has yet to prove himself and who might not be back in '07. Why did BB only select 2 LBs in the draft? Because he didn't think any were worth it. Looking back at BB's tenure, his LBs must be battle tested and experienced. Rookies take time (about 3 years) and the Pats aren't ready to rebuild.

Because Beisel sucked, the Pats shouldn't pursue Briggs? :wha: That's silly. Beisel was also a DE in college.

Briggs was a 3rd round pick, so what. Brady was a 6th. BB doesn't have a wand that produces stars. Briggs is a proven commodity.

IMO, due to their success, many Pats fans think that LBs should come cheaply. That's because they found oil in their backyard with Vrabel and Bruschi. Don't count on that happening anytime soon. There are more teams that use the 3-4 and look for similar players: Jets, Browns, Dallas, SD, SF, and Pittsburgh.

Times are changing, the market is changing, and the Pats LBs are long in the tooth. If the Pats want to be a SB caliber team in '07, they are going to have to pay big money this off season.

Last edited:

Undersized DEs are used by BB to play OLB, not ILB. In Bruschi's case, he was initially used as a situational edge rusher, but was too small and slow to be effective in that role. Years later, Bruschi developed into a ILB.

It will likely take at least 3 years for a rookie LB to learn BB's system. Therefore, since the Pats are playing for the present, it's unrealistic to expect a rookie to come in and start in 2007. Moreover, this doesn't look like a strong draft.

Why didn't BB draft LBs on day one? Because none of them were worth drafting when the Pats were on the clock. Therefore, FA is the only way to go.

Why Briggs?

Here's a list...

2007 NFL FA LBs

Outside of Briggs, I don't see any Vrabels or Tedys on that list. Maybe Thomas. But he'll turn 30 next year and will also have his suitors. Better to overspend on a great LB then a solid one.

I think BB would draft a college LB if he found one that had what he wants out of that position and there is good value.

Claridge was probably that kind of guy, before he went off the deep end.

Looking at the FA link, they seem to think Cato June will be the top FA defensive player available. They also said Briggs will likely leave Chicago. I think he will too. The Bears are confident in their ability to develop LBs. That's what they do.

If BB thinks Briggs is special, I could see him getting into the running. If not, then it would be interesting to see if he would be interested in Adalius Thomas. His versatility is pretty impressive but he'll be 30 next year and probably command a lot of money so that's an issue.

Why Briggs?

Here's a list...

2007 NFL FA LBs

I think BB would draft a college LB if he found one that had what he wants out of that position and there is good value.

Claridge was probably that kind of guy, before he went off the deep end.

Looking at the FA link, they seem to think Cato June will be the top FA defensive player available. They also said Briggs will likely leave Chicago. I think he will too. The Bears are confident in their ability to develop LBs. That's what they do.

If BB thinks Briggs is special, I could see him getting into the running. If not, then it would be interesting to see if he would be interested in Adalius Thomas. His versatility is pretty impressive but he's aging and will likely get a fat deal.

Every year it is said college LB crop is poor, yet there are some pretty good LBs in the league year in and year out. Not all of them are converted DEs. BB might draft a guy who in 2 or 3 years becomes a household name. But because there aren't a lot of big names coming out doesnt mean a gem or two isn't somewhere at the bottom of the heap.

Last edited:
After seeing Lance Briggs play, I think he's worth lots of dollars. We've got a ton of cap space next year and I think we're gonna have a serious look at this guy.

After seeing Lance Briggs play, I think he's worth lots of dollars. We've got a ton of cap space next year and I think we're gonna have a serious look at this guy.

I hope so; the guy was a stud on Monday night; he looked the stand-out LB on their team, which is something given Urlacher had a pretty great game too. (One play aside)

What seems crystal clear to me is that this LB unit cannot be rebuilt in the draft - even if BB were minded to do so, which he probably isn't it - and there has to be other activity. Free agency is the most obvious avenue - and I'd be happy to see them pay top whack for Briggs - but I wouldn't be surprised to see one of our first rounders disappearing in that particular direction (although it could easily be used to help rebuild the secondary).

hmm, no one responded to anything i said on the first page so i'll pointedly ask:

why wouldn't the Bears franchise Briggs?

this whole discussion seems silly unless there is an answer to that question. even if they don't want to pay him they can franchise him if only to trade his rights. with teams across the league awash in cap room next year there will be plenty of suitors for his services. even w/o an extension the escalation of salaries makes the franchise # for LBs palatable. i just don't see any scenario where chicago does not franchise him.

am i missing something? is there someone else the Bears would use the tag on instead? am i mistaken in believing you can franchise-and-trade someone? if I'm not missing something than any discussion of acquiring Briggs would have to focus on a trade with chicago. yeah it is technically still a possibility he hits FA but realistically the notion seems foolish.

hmm, no one responded to anything i said on the first page so i'll pointedly ask:

this whole discussion seems silly unless there is an answer to that question. even if they don't want to pay him they can franchise him if only to trade his rights. with teams across the league awash in cap room next year there will be plenty of suitors for his services. even w/o an extension the escalation of salaries makes the franchise # for LBs palatable. i just don't see any scenario where chicago does not franchise him.

am i missing something? is there someone else the Bears would use the tag on instead? am i mistaken in believing you can franchise-and-trade someone? if I'm not missing something than any discussion of acquiring Briggs would have to focus on a trade with chicago. yeah it is technically still a possibility he hits FA but realistically the notion seems foolish.
I dont think anyone doubted the Bears Franchising him or using a transition tag or something. I think most were just speaking as if he actually made it to FA without complications.

Good question.

That depends on the Bears cap situation. They are paying Urlacher top dollar and with the market changing in favor of the players, the Bears might not want two pricey LBs. Moreover, if the '07 market dictates that Briggs gets more than Urlacher, then it gets dicey. There's no way Briggs will play under a one year tender. Not while his market value is at its peak.

If the Bears do tag him, in hopes of trading him, ironically, that could be to the Pats advantage. BB has a good relationship with Bears GM Angelo and has the ammunition to make a deal. Moreover, dealing with the Bears will allow the Pats to negotiate exclusively with Briggs w/o the pressure of a bidding war.

Miguel, do you have any Bears cap info? :D

Y'all forget that Belichick was the DC under Tuna when the Pats drafted Tedy Bruschi. He started the conversion to DE, situational rusher and OLB. I'm certain thart he had input on drafting Tedy. It wasn't until he returned in 2000 as HC that he moved him inside to ILB and stardom.

So Tedy is a draftee (3rd round) and a four year transition to LB. TBC is a draftee (7th) and a four year project who is now seeing snaps.

Any draftee at LB that they pick is probably a 2 or 3 year project as well. thats why he wants someone else to pay the tuition first.

Y'all forget that Belichick was the DC under Tuna when the Pats drafted Tedy Bruschi. He started the conversion to DE, situational rusher and OLB. I'm certain thart he had input on drafting Tedy. It wasn't until he returned in 2000 as HC that he moved him inside to ILB and stardom.

So Tedy is a draftee (3rd round) and a four year transition to LB. TBC is a draftee (7th) and a four year project who is now seeing snaps.

Any draftee at LB that they pick is probably a 2 or 3 year project as well. thats why he wants someone else to pay the tuition first.

But we pay a premium in free agency. Is there any indication we're prepared to take on a huge free agent contract? Where's the precedent?

If not, why even talk about Briggs? BTW, we'll need more than one LB in the next 5-6 years.

Yeah, Parcells was nice enough to draft McGinest, Bruschi and TJ for us.

He apparently thought we could draft LBs in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounds and get 10-12 years out of them.

It really couldn't have worked out much better, yet now it's forbidden.

I'm clueless. Since 2000 we've drafted 2 in the 7th and 1 in the 5th.

I like Parcells plan better.

Last edited:
But we pay a premium in free agency. Is there any indication we're prepared to take on a huge free agent contract? Where's the precedent?

If not, why even talk about Briggs? BTW, we'll need more than one LB in the next 5-6 years.

Yeah, Parcells was nice enough to draft McGinest, Bruschi and TJ for us.

He apparently thought we could draft LBs in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounds and get 10-12 years out of them.

It really couldn't have worked out much better, yet now it's forbidden.

I'm clueless. Since 2000 we've drafted 2 in the 7th and 1 in the 5th.

I like Parcells plan better.

Colvin is the precedent. Dillon's contract is a precedent. The Pats will pay someone they think will be worth it. We see teams overpay for former Pats and we see that the Pats don't enter silly sweepstakes for guys like Antwaan Randle-El and people assume the Pats will never sign anyone to a big deal. I could see them going after Briggs IF he hit free agency, which he won't.

As for the drafting, you focus on one only position. I too have no idea why the current regime hasn't even tried drafting any LBs. But do you really want to turn this into a thread where you make the arguement that Parcells was better at drafting than BB/Pioli?

I'm sorry if I'm wrong, but weren't the best linebackers gone before the Pats were on the clock ???
Bill always said, he'll grab the best player available when it's his turn, which seems to work pretty well !! I like our new running back. I understand the need at linebacker is scary, but I wasn't scared until Jr broke his arm ! I suspect Bill will figure something out

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes