Welcome to PatsFans.com

Lamar Hunt has passed away

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Alk, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Alk

Alk In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

2. captain stone

captain stone Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +308 / 60 / -29

No Jersey Selected

If there were a Mount Rushmore for NFL owner/execs, Lamar Hunt (as well as George Halas) would have a place there. Especially if an old AFL kid like me were doing the placing.

3. csfoster

csfoster Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

As a die-hard AFL/AFC Chargers fan since the beginning of time, I can only say that Lamar Hunt deserves every single one of the great many worthy tributes that will be forthcoming.

4. Digger44

Digger44 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Best wishes to the family of Mr. Superbowl.

5. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,160 / 22 / -13

Disable Jersey

Condolences to his family. I thank him for the early AFL when I was a kid. I loved the Chiefs next to the Pats.

6. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +538 / 47 / -48

#50 Jersey

The NFL has lost a true pioneer in the sport. One can only hope that the newer owners actually learned something from him.

7. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

They were talking about him a few days ago on Foxsports radio. Wishing him well but, eluding to the fact he wasn't long for this world. He lived a good life and made a difference. R.I.P.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  8. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

It is good to see the legacy he leaves behind, I hope this has been of great enjoyment to him. We the fan are fortunate to know new owners like Bob Kraft have taken up the reins of leadership to carry on Mr. Hunt's efforts and move them forward.

9. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

http://www.patriots.com/mediacenter/index.cfm?ac=audionewsdetail&pid=23069&pcid=85

Q: Can you talk about Lamar Hunt and what he meant to the game in your eyes?

BB: I think he was certainly one of the founding fathers of the AFL and the AFL-NFL merger and how all of that came about. He was a huge staunch supporter of the AFL and then as it is now the AFC. I think that franchise has had a good impact on the entire league. I think the Kansas City fans and their whole football environment on game day and Arrow Head and all that they’ve created there has been something that certainly has been an invigorating part of the game. It's hard to play there, but I'm just saying the whole environment that they've created. Lamar has been there through it all and I said yesterday, I had the opportunity to be in Kansas City for that 101 Dinner, which is one of the top postseason award dinners for football. It honors, not just pro football, it's a first-class thing. He's been a big part of that and it’s comparable to the Maxwell Club and The Touchdown Club of Washington, and stuff like that. They've done a lot of things right out there, a lot of things to promote the game of football and I think a lot of things done in the spirit of the game that I respect. Certainly, he’s a big part of that. I've had minimal direct contact with him, owners meetings and stuff like that, that 101 Club dinner, the Super Bowl and that type of deal, but truly a gentleman, a smart guy and very respectful. I think he respected the game a lot too. When he spoke in league meetings you always had the sense that he was speaking from the heart, Wellington Mara-ish, what was best for the game. It wasn’t about what was best for the Chiefs. It was about what was best for the game and I think that came across in a genuine, sincere manner, so I believed it. It's a tough loss.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  10. Sean Pa Patriot

Sean Pa Patriot Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

He was to AFC Owners , what Wellington Mara was to NFC Owners.. He will be missed a great asset to the nfl has been lost..