PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lack of TE play: scheme or personnel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say it's personnel. Ben Watson drops too many passes. He did a little better this year, but dropped 2 (tipped one, I think, on that INT) on Sunday. I think they have schemed around him now for the better part of 2 years. Seems like they didn't give Baker much of a chance, but maybe he didn't show enough.

I think the lack of TE involvement is interesting. BB has characteristically liked TEs, because they can create matchup problems. Either you have an LB smaller than the TE, and you always run at the LB with that TE, or you have an LB who can't cover the TE, so you run passes at him.

I think part of the Patriots demise this year is that every player is more or less one dimensional. They can rush, catch, or block. There aren't too many offensive skill players on this team who can do all 3 at a professional level. This makes the Patriots very easy to game plan for. You know BB isn't going to use Randy/Wes to EVER run the ball. You know BB isn't going to use LoMo or to block too much, or Morris as a pass-catcher. You know Kevin Faulk is a change of pass/third down back. And, you sure as hell know Brady isn't taking one step past the LOS.

I think part of the failures of this year's team were the one-dimensional players. It is too easy to isolate them and attack their weaknesses (ala Vollmer in the playoffs).

The TEs are a big part of this, because the diversity that they usually bring can allow for some subtle but important deception and matchup problems. This is why BB usually drafts TEs high in the draft.
Yeah, the offense is incredibly predictable. Trent Dilfer said there are teams that don't believe in mixing up play-calling and personnel in order to keep teams off-balance. The Patriots are one of those teams.

It's hard to believe. The Patriots are going to come out the same way on every play and try to execute it no matter what. It's stupid and boneheaded. If the defense can tell what kind of play you're going to run based on personnel and formation, you've given them an advantage that you don't have. It makes absolutely no sense.

Yeah, the offense is incredibly predictable. Trent Dilfer said there are teams that don't believe in mixing up play-calling and personnel in order to keep teams off-balance. The Patriots are one of those teams.

It's hard to believe. The Patriots are going to come out the same way on every play and try to execute it no matter what. It's stupid and boneheaded. If the defense can tell what kind of play you're going to run based on personnel and formation, you've given them an advantage that you don't have. It makes absolutely no sense.

Yep, I agree.

But you dare not criticize the brain trust or you'll get called a troll or jets fan.

BB and his crappy offense are holding the fans hostage. Some of them apparently have stockholm syndrome. The defense is just as imaginative.

Scheme and lack of pass protection. TEs arent the first look in any of our plays, more like 3rd or 4th and Brady doesnt have enough time to progress that far in his reads. How about a basic TE screen...thats a novel idea and play from jv football that other teams use with great success (see Jason Witten)

Scheme. Most TEs make their bread and butter on stop-option routes that post up in the middle of the filed. Generally NE's scheme has the TE go vertical, triggering deep pass drops by the linebacker that the slot receiver or Faulk then exploits underneath. Otherwise they run out routes in order to cross up or pick defensive backs.

I don't think I've seen Watson make a catch where he wasn't running and Brady was throwing over a defender. Thomas was drafted because he had similar receiving skills but he never developed into enough of a blocker to stay on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes