PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

lack of measurement.....the fix is in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That one at the beginning of the game was clearly half a yard short at least and would've been 4th down. They gave them the first and next play was a big pass completion. I was SO pissed off.

IIRC in replay it was all in the middle of a scrum so it would have been hard to overturn with clear direct visual video evidence (where exactly was the ball exactly when his knee was down), even though I agree it seemed pretty clear to common sense. I remember looking at the replay of the scrum, and thinking it was too hard to tell. But the network didn't actually show it from a lot of angles.

They changed the rule after Hochuli brain-farted and screwed over the Chargers a few years ago.

It used to be just what you said.

After the post-Hochuli change the rule is that it can be challenged and that if the video review shows (a) that the ball was out and (b) that the ball was "clearly recovered" by the defense then the call will be reversed. Even if replay shows the ball came out, if the defense can't be seen clearly recovering the ball then they won't reverse the call.

That's why you heard Coleman say the phrase "clearly recovered" when he announced the result of the challenge.

This is one of the rule changes for the good. I also thought they instructed the refs to be a little less trigger-happy with whistle blows in ambiguous turnover situations, so I was very surprised last night when they started to frantically blow them like Tijuana streetwalkers before the play had settled. It was definitely strange, but they got it right in the end so that was nice.

...After the post-Hochuli change the rule is that it can be challenged and that if the video review shows (a) that the ball was out and (b) that the ball was "clearly recovered" by the defense then the call will be reversed. Even if replay shows the ball came out, if the defense can't be seen clearly recovering the ball then they won't reverse the call.

That's why you heard Coleman say the phrase "clearly recovered" when he announced the result of the challenge.

Thanks. But...so I'm mumbling at the TV about what a bunch of ignorant idiots the announcers are, when in reality it was me who was the ignorant idiot. A reversal of a call in my own house.

I was re-watching the game keeping an eye on where the ball was marked when there was a first down and the Business Insider guy was absolutely correct.

At least in the first half every time there was a first down the blue LOS line and the yellow first down line were exactly on yard lines. However, on plays that didn't gain a first down the blue LOS line was between yard lines plenty of times.

So quite clearly the refs are "rounding off" when placing the ball after every first down

They have billions of dollars, so how hard is it to color the grass a different shade every yard?

I want the hash-marks to return to their original width, so that the zebras don't have to re-spot the ball
after almost every other play. They feck-up a lot of those spots, too.

That one at the beginning of the game was clearly half a yard short at least and would've been 4th down. They gave them the first and next play was a big pass completion. I was SO pissed off.

Poorly officiated game.

I thought at least 1 of the PI calls on Houston was bogus. Ive seen far worse be not called.

Hey, measurements can be tricky. Depending on how you do it can make a big difference. And doing it WRONG can give you a really embarrassing result.

Oh, you're talking about measuring first down.

Never mind. o_O

I see what you did there old man :)

raw

Mitchell has not shown an extra gear but he has made plays with quickness and good instinct. As they learn his strengths and he learns the game I expect big plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back