PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lack of a salary cap leaves wide range of spending in NFL clubs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think its different than the bruins.....the pats spend money....they just don't want to spend it NOW given the unknown state of the labor agreement

Haven't the Pats doled out over $80M in contracts ($45M in guaranteed cash) NOW to Wilfork, Bodden, Neal and Faulk? Does anyone believe the Pats aren't going to lob a mint at Brady in the near future? They are likely going to have to give Mankins big buck in the next year and also give Ghost a market deal. They are spending a ton NOW to keep the core of their team together.

This is being done in the context of the likely situation in 2011:
a) A new cap structure, including rookie wage scale
b) A stagnation (or even reduction) in the cap on player compensation compared to 2009
c) 2x the number of normal free agents on the market

So the Pats:
- Have kept a relatively good sense of continuity on the roster (2009 was a bump in the road needing to shed some aging vets)
- Have a fleet of youngsters ready to contribute big while costing relatively little
- Are flexible enough to pounce on a big FA class in 2011
- Have a potential huge draft pick in 2011 to replace one of their UFAs (Moss, Light, Maroney) or get a big-time playmaker (Peterson)

I can understand hating on the player acquisition (I've never been a big fan of the Brace pick myself). I can't understand the negativity for the gameplan they are executing.

June roster cuts haven't been signifcant for years. Theya re especially insignifcant in a no-cap year.

I think this year they may be more significant if teams decide that they won't have to carry overpaid contracts beyond this year. Usually teams carry some guys because they are afraid of the cap hit for releasing them a year or two early. This is the perfect year to dump underachievers.

Of course, the question then is, do teams want to sign guys who underperformed on their previous contracts.

I think this year they may be more significant if teams decide that they won't have to carry overpaid contracts beyond this year. Usually teams carry some guys because they are afraid of the cap hit for releasing them a year or two early. This is the perfect year to dump underachievers.

Of course, the question then is, do teams want to sign guys who underperformed on their previous contracts.

Just like our very own Adalius.:D

Last edited:
June roster cuts haven't been signifcant for years. Theya re especially insignifcant in a no-cap year.

We'll see. I'd be surprised if we don't see some good players with bad contracts cut.

As long as they're signed for significantly less than the previous contract, sure. Underperforming a $7M per year contract and performing on par with a $4M per year contract can be pretty much the same performance.

When guys underperform a contract, it's oftentimes because their GM just spent stupidly in the first place. Doesn't make them bad players.

Last edited:
I think its different than the bruins.....the pats spend money....they just don't want to spend it NOW given the unknown state of the labor agreement

Could it be equally that the Patriots are poised for the colossal free agent year in 2011?

There are two ways things could go.
One - no deal, lockout.
Two - deal, new CBA, football continues.

Behind door number two, every player that was tendered under the uncapped year is a potential free agent, with the additions of the Brady's and Manning's and other veterans coming up. That huge list of 215 players prevented from tasting free agency in the four & five-year class, DeMarcus Ware, Logan Mankins, Vincent Jackson, etc. -- all suddenly burst onto free agency, with all the normal fourth year players. At the same time a new cap comes into place.

Teams with salary cap space in 2011 can seriously re-stock.

Which makes it very very surprising to me that the Patriots have been structuring their contracts with minimum 2010 impact and large 2011 acceleration.

Haven't the Pats doled out over $80M in contracts ($45M in guaranteed cash) NOW to Wilfork, Bodden, Neal and Faulk? Does anyone believe the Pats aren't going to lob a mint at Brady in the near future? They are likely going to have to give Mankins big buck in the next year and also give Ghost a market deal. They are spending a ton NOW to keep the core of their team together.

This is being done in the context of the likely situation in 2011:
a) A new cap structure, including rookie wage scale
b) A stagnation (or even reduction) in the cap on player compensation compared to 2009
c) 2x the number of normal free agents on the market

So the Pats:
- Have kept a relatively good sense of continuity on the roster (2009 was a bump in the road needing to shed some aging vets)
- Have a fleet of youngsters ready to contribute big while costing relatively little
- Are flexible enough to pounce on a big FA class in 2011
- Have a potential huge draft pick in 2011 to replace one of their UFAs (Moss, Light, Maroney) or get a big-time playmaker (Peterson)

I can understand hating on the player acquisition (I've never been a big fan of the Brace pick myself). I can't understand the negativity for the gameplan they are executing.

I think you are misunderstanding me.......I'm not down on the pats if they are indeed preparing themselves in the face of labor uncertainty

BTW, the numbers you gave out (80M/45M guaranteed) are roughly what the bears paid for peppers alone.......

really, my only beef is that braintrust has not stuck to rule #1 when it coems to the 3-4 and its that LB's are the most important part of the unit....maybe they are minding it and just feel there's nobody out there worth developing....you can argue mayo,guyton,TBC, and OLB to be named later....I believe that NONE of them are prepared to play the game like the previous crew that was here.....sure they have stats, but somebody has to make those tackled.....you look at reche caldwell by stats and you can say 'he had a decent year, he's not bad'....but yeah, he's bad....I see our current LB core the same way......and that is really the only beef I have......and given the nature of what these guys are supposed to do, I don't see it rutning around in a year......

I can see pretty simple fixes for every other hole the team has, but not this one

Could it be equally that the Patriots are poised for the colossal free agent year in 2011?

There are two ways things could go.
One - no deal, lockout.
Two - deal, new CBA, football continues.

Behind door number two, every player that was tendered under the uncapped year is a potential free agent, with the additions of the Brady's and Manning's and other veterans coming up. That huge list of 215 players prevented from tasting free agency in the four & five-year class, DeMarcus Ware, Logan Mankins, Vincent Jackson, etc. -- all suddenly burst onto free agency, with all the normal fourth year players. At the same time a new cap comes into place.

Teams with salary cap space in 2011 can seriously re-stock.

Which makes it very very surprising to me that the Patriots have been structuring their contracts with minimum 2010 impact and large 2011 acceleration.

the potential for a free-for-all in free agency is huge, but it only matters if they actually play in 2011 and there is no lockout.....I will also not be suprised that if a CBA does get done, that they will do something to limit player movement given how many free agents there stands to be if they do play in 2011

you also need to understand that the following pats are FA's in 2011:
moss
brady
light
mankins
maroney
taylor
faulk
ghost

so the pats are going to have to do plenty of spending on their own before they even get out of the gate

really, my only beef is that braintrust has not stuck to rule #1 when it coems to the 3-4 and its that LB's are the most important part of the unit....maybe they are minding it and just feel there's nobody out there worth developing....you can argue mayo,guyton,TBC, and OLB to be named later....I believe that NONE of them are prepared to play the game like the previous crew that was here.....sure they have stats, but somebody has to make those tackled.....you look at reche caldwell by stats and you can say 'he had a decent year, he's not bad'....but yeah, he's bad....I see our current LB core the same way......and that is really the only beef I have......and given the nature of what these guys are supposed to do, I don't see it rutning around in a year......

I can see pretty simple fixes for every other hole the team has, but not this one

That is fair and I basically agree with you. The Pats defense seems to be at their best when they can put 4+ LB on the field (either base or nickel) that can move around, do everything and cause confusion for the QB and blockers.

Where I diverge a little from you is that I believe that the parts in place (Mayo, Guyton, TBC, even McKenzie) have the talent to succeed but the scheme is making them predictable. I do believe the Pats need to add to the LB corps but I would like to see player flexibility, not really talented one-trick ponies. That is why I like Misi in this draft and have Hughes back on my radar based on his combine position drills.

I'm assuming that the Pats will add a vet LB at some point. If Jason Taylor has anything left, I expect him to be on the roster before long. He is obviously a step or 2 slower and was never outstanding against the run, but he does (did?) have the ability to line up all over the field.

So I'm a little more hopeful that the Pats can make a significant leap forward at the LB position in 2010. But I will grant you that it is definitely more hope than certainty.

the potential for a free-for-all in free agency is huge, but it only matters if they actually play in 2011 and there is no lockout.....I will also not be suprised that if a CBA does get done, that they will do something to limit player movement given how many free agents there stands to be if they do play in 2011

At some point, the NFLPA is going to have to just accept getting their butts kicked by the owners. As far as player movement, this is where the players are likely to stick by their guns and the owners will likely give a little. After getting screwed over in 2010, the 5th year guys will go postal if the next CBA screws them over again.

you also need to understand that the following pats are FA's in 2011:
moss
brady
light
mankins
maroney
taylor
faulk
ghost

so the pats are going to have to do plenty of spending on their own before they even get out of the gate

Absolutely. I see Moss, Taylor and Faulk almost certainly not coming back and Brady will get his big contract. The rest will be affected by the salary cap in the next CBA. Mankins is the prize but I can't see the Pats breaking the bank for a guard if it puts them close to the cap. Ghost should be able to get a fair deal with the Pats, but if he want to get greedy he could be gone.

Light and Maroney are interesting because I believe Belichick likes both of them...but they aren't worth market deals based on age or production. If they want to come back on short, below-market deals I think they could manage it. If they want the money, it will have to come from someone else.

This forward thinking that you are doing is interesting because it affects what the Pats are doing today.

That is fair and I basically agree with you. The Pats defense seems to be at their best when they can put 4+ LB on the field (either base or nickel) that can move around, do everything and cause confusion for the QB and blockers.

Where I diverge a little from you is that I believe that the parts in place (Mayo, Guyton, TBC, even McKenzie) have the talent to succeed but the scheme is making them predictable. I do believe the Pats need to add to the LB corps but I would like to see player flexibility, not really talented one-trick ponies. That is why I like Misi in this draft and have Hughes back on my radar based on his combine position drills.

I'm assuming that the Pats will add a vet LB at some point. If Jason Taylor has anything left, I expect him to be on the roster before long. He is obviously a step or 2 slower and was never outstanding against the run, but he does (did?) have the ability to line up all over the field.

So I'm a little more hopeful that the Pats can make a significant leap forward at the LB position in 2010. But I will grant you that it is definitely more hope than certainty.

yeah.......I just don't see the full set of skills with this unit.....as for thoughts on the scheme, the coach ain't gonne change it.

guyton and mayo really need to take the next step in their development......I just think that they will never recognize the way phifer and bruschi did in the past, and that their reactions will be much slower even though they are fast players.....

I think part of the problem is that BB has these guys too scared to make mistakes, and that's what you need to do in order to improve in recognition

The Pats were pretty much up against the cap last year within a few million. Just because one year they are low in payouts doesn't mean they are flushed with cash the next. The Pats did payout a lot of bonuses in 2007 and 2008. They should have enough money to extend Brady though.
Stop. There is no way to explain it. The Patriots are cheap. Kraft and Belichick knew we would lose in the first round of the playoffs and had a meeting and decided it would cost $10,000,000 more to win the SB, and decided it wasn't worth it.
Why do you insist on taking facts into consideration? It doesnt matter that the amount of cash spent isnt the only factor. It doesnt matter that the difference between the top and bottom of cash spent is the happenstance of if your stars got their signing bonus this year or others.
Can't you just read it, accept it, stop asking questions and join the lynchmob. My God the decade of the Patriots being the dominant franchise has been over for almost 3 months, stop living in the past, and start ripping this cheap organization and its absent minded buffoon of a coach and GM.

yeah.......I just don't see the full set of skills with this unit.....as for thoughts on the scheme, the coach ain't gonne change it.

guyton and mayo really need to take the next step in their development......I just think that they will never recognize the way phifer and bruschi did in the past, and that their reactions will be much slower even though they are fast players.....

I think part of the problem is that BB has these guys too scared to make mistakes, and that's what you need to do in order to improve in recognition
What leads you to the conclusion that BB has them afraid to make mistakes?
I have not heard that description of BB from any player who has ever played for him.
I also think you are wrong to lump Mayo and Guyton. Mayo's LB skills are excellent, Guyton is an athlete learning to be a LB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back