Welcome to PatsFans.com

LA Times: Declassified Vietnam Reports Reveal U.S. Atrocities

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by maverick4, Aug 7, 2006.

1. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationw...0,6350517.story?page=1&coll=la-home-headlines

De-classified files show that the extent of rapes and killings of Vietnamese women and children and civilians was far greater than previously thought, the LA Times reported today. Many of the crimes went unpunished and were hidden or silenced.

We are not as morally superior as we would like to think.

There are a lot of similarities with this and what is going on in isolated incidents in Iraq right now, IMO.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  2. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Re: Declassified Vietnam Reports Reveal U.S. Atrocities

I think your right. I think the incidents will get worse as the army scrapes the barrel for recruits to meet its goals and once over there, anything goes.
  3. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +272 / 38 / -4

#75 Jersey

Bull****! Please tell me anywhere where their is any credible report of drug use by US soilders, certainly nothing remotely close to that of Vietnam!

What rape allegations?

It always amazes me to see how quickly and without any evidence whatsoever that the left will disparage our military!

The LA Times, haw many times have they been discredited this year alone?
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

The LA Times and the rest of the sore losers must really be running scared, are they going to start rehashing the Viet Nam Sh!t all over again.

Anything to drag America down and the f-cking left wing will be leading the charge, sometimes I wish the Muslims did take America over one of the first things they would do is storm the NY Times building and start decapitating EDITORS.
  5. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

So let me get this straight: we send out some thugs out all over the world, who in isolated incidents commit all kinds of atrocities, and we expect the natives not to hate us with all their hearts?

As more news about the rape/murder of the Iraqi girl and her family comes out, the more disgusting it sounds. In addition to being premeditated, they drank and played golf beforehand, and then afterwards many of them drank and had a barbecue.
  6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +234 / 8 / -13

Thanks for being so clear about how you view the brave men and women who defend this country.:mad: :bricks:
  7. Mainefan

Mainefan Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

"What rape allegations?" Ted?

Try reading this: http://tinyurl.com/zwt59
  8. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Whether you like to believe it or not, there are people in the military who are there only because the military needs to fill recruitment quotas.

I said 'some' thugs, meaning there are definitely honorable and good men in the military, like some of my relatives for example.

That doesn't change the fact that there are a minority of soldiers who commit the worst of crimes, and often get away with it, while at the same time inciting hatred towards the US all over the world. These bad apples do more harm than we can imagine.

Think of the inverse situation, if a larger, more superior army invaded your homeland, and you learned of isolated rapes and murders of innocent women and children?
  9. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +272 / 38 / -4

#75 Jersey

WHo was giving the testimoney, Murtha?

Policemen are accused of all kinds of ridiculous things everyday, it doesn't mean that they are true. I find it hard to believe that a group of US soilders would hold down a young girl and rape and kill her. Take any five people you want, you would have to go far and wide before you could put five people together that would allow such an action to take place without at least one person objecting. The soilders are the same way, they are from all walks of life and different parts of the country, and I find it almost impossible to believe that any group of US soilders could committ such an act, is there a chance one sicko could do it? of course, but a whole group, highly doubtful.
    P.s. I glad to see you used a reputable source such as Rueters, you know some news agencies have recently been caught slanting the news.
  10. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/08/07/iraq.mahmoudiya.ap/index.html

FreeTedWilliams, how about CNN, and the Associated Press, then?

In addition to the premeditated rape of a teenage girl and the murder of her parents and baby sister, the soldiers also played golf beforehand and had a bbq afterwards.

The extent to which some people will ignore or explain away news is beyond me. It is almost child-like in its refusal to deal with reality or the truth. It's hard to realize that we are not more moral than everyone else and not the saviors we think we are, but it's important not to brush away the truth.

11. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What's happened before can and does happen today..

Unless your a neo-con, they have changed americans wickedness with politics.

I believe you can buy that remedy here.
    http://mediamatters.org/static/audio/savage-20060418-duke.mp3
  12. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +234 / 8 / -13

If this incident haapened as reported the soldiers should get the death penalty.

I will assume that the soldiers are innocent until proven guilty> i aslo think some of the other crimes reported alleging crimes by US soldiers have been fabricated (Haditha for example). I do object with the media and politicans assume the guilt of soldiers facing allegations. It is ironic because those who auume the guilt of soldiers are the first one to insist on full rights for terrorist.
  13. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

You are correct; innocent until proven guilty.

However, as these de-classified papers about Vietnam show, oftentimes atrocious crimes by us are swept under the rug, hidden, and suppressed in foreign lands.

It's important that these kind of incidents become known and, if the trials result in conviction, that the criminals be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

As more information comes out, past and present, Iraq is starting to look more and more like Vietnam.

14. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well then, that proves it. Things may or may not have been swept under the rug 30+ years ago so today's soldiers MUST be guilty.
  15. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Mai Lai, next question.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2005
  16. Mainefan

Mainefan Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Fox News is also carrying this story, Ted.

But I realize they may not be objective enough for you. Who would you believe, Pat Robertson? Antonin Scalia, George Bush? They're not in the news business.

Maybe the FreePress or NewsMax or Ann Coulter. They reputable enough for you?

It's getting to be an old saying, but denial isn't just a river in Egypt.
  17. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's pretty reprehensible the way you gloat with glee over these findings.
  18. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

NEM is right. I am absolutely disgusted if this is true, and lately have become very cynical over our foreign involvements. A few years ago I was one of the most patriotic people you would ever find, I LOVED this country, everything single thing about it. I'll admit I put a little too much trust in our leaders, and didn't really do much of my own investigating until a few years ago.

With my new knowledge, I think the foreign policy of this nation over the past forty years has been embarassing, and that we should learn from our mistakes and go back to the ideals that made us great in the first place. It gets a little harder to love your land when you realize that we're not necessarily the 'light of the world', and you feel ashamed at our past actions.

I think it's time for all of us to acknowledge the crimes our own soldiers have committed in the past, and re-evaluate our role in the world and make the necessary changes to once again be a great, moral country.
  19. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Also: I didn't think it inappropriate to post this at this time, as the information included in the article was only recently de-classified.
  20. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Excellent post. Don't give up. Love of country can be used for exactly what you're proposing. Shame is a good thing. Not enough people have it in this country anymore. It's the lack of shame that permits our government to continue to act as if we're right all the time. It's also the lack of shame in our society today that lets us tell ourselves that everything we do is good. Killing thousands of children for the sake of freedom is shameful, but we are told to treat every member of the military as if they are heroes.