Welcome to PatsFans.com

La Renowned French economist to join Obama’s team test update:

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +440 / 5 / -2

Another intellectual who's never had a real job. Is it any wonder the western world is in the position it's in. I always thought it was people who actually did real world stuff, and did it well, that were respected and held in high esteem. Apparently that's not the case. I did some googling and I can't find any real job this 40 year old has had. I see degrees from prestigous schools, and some director posts or what have you, from what looks like a charity, but no job at some economic firm in the real world. If someone knows what her real world economic qualifications are, can you post it please.

La Renowned French economist to join Obama’s team test update:

06/01/2013

[​IMG]
    France’s Esther Duflo, a star economist who was once named one of Time magazine’s 100 most influential people in the world, has been nominated by US President Barack Obama to help shape US global development policy.

Duflo, who was raised in a “left-leaning Protestant” family, said she became aware of economic divides and social injustice at a very early age.

“I was always conscientious of the gap between my existence and that of the world’s poor,” she told weekly French magazine l’Express in a January, 2011 article. “As a child, I was extremely troubled by the complete randomness of chance that I was born in Paris to an intellectual, middle class family, when I could have just as easily been born in Chad. It’s a question of luck. It inspired in me a sense of responsibility.”

While Duflo may feel that her privilege in life is the result of chance, President Obama’s intention to appoint her to his Global Development Council is not. Ever since completing her undergraduate studies at Paris’s prestigious Ecole Normale Supérieure in 1994, Duflo has led a distinguished career, collecting numerous academic honours and awards along the way.

Renowned French economist to join Obama
  2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +898 / 7 / -17

#87 Jersey

She has some novel and creative solutions to poverty ... we'll see.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  3. Real World

Ratings:
    +440 / 5 / -2

[​IMG]

The fiscal cliff deal

America’s European moment

The troubling similarities between the fiscal mismanagement in Washington and the mess in the euro zone

Jan 5th 2013 | from the print edition

FOR the past three years America’s leaders have looked on Europe’s management of the euro crisis with barely disguised contempt. In the White House and on Capitol Hill there has been incredulity that Europe’s politicians could be so incompetent at handling an economic problem; so addicted to last-minute, short-term fixes; and so incapable of agreeing on a long-term strategy for the single currency.

Those criticisms were all valid, but now those who made them should take the planks from their own eyes. America’s economy may not be in as bad a state as Europe’s, but the failures of its politicians—epitomised by this week’s 11th-hour deal to avoid the calamity of the “fiscal cliff”—suggest that Washington’s pattern of dysfunction is disturbingly similar to the euro zone’s in three depressing ways.

Can-kicking is a transatlantic sport

http://www.economist.com/news/leade...ween-fiscal-mismanagement-washington-and-mess
  4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +344 / 3 / -13

The Economist is THE best economic read anyone could possibly buy. I love that magazine.

5. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +344 / 3 / -13

This statement alone should have EXCLUDED her from consideration.:rolleyes:

Does she realize the USA will NOT be moving further left?
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -26

Looks like an excellent choice..

It is what happens in American Politics.. the authors of the Iraq Crusade.. Wolfowitz, Perle and Cheney all sent our young men and women to war, but all avoided the draft..

It is what it is..
  7. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +344 / 3 / -13

Why? She's a typical bleeding-heart and we will not be starting more gov't programs for the disadvantaged. Nor will the US be increasing our budget anytime soon.

So how is she going to help?

EXTREMELY POOR CHOICE.
  8. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -26

I keep hearing and I believe that we are part of a global economy, so what is wrong with choosing an extremely intelligent woman who brings a european perspective to the table??..

Xenophobia again..
  9. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +344 / 3 / -13

Another Darryl word he looked up in his thesaurus. Strange, 4 years ago your posts read like you never graduated high school...and look how far you've come! What changed?

Back to the topic...

She has no practical experience in real world economics....just theoretical bs. I'd prefer a woman with business experience who understands what a budget is all about.

Yes, we compete in a global economy, but we don't have a global gov't and never will in our lifetime....Thank you God!
  10. Real World

Ratings:
    +440 / 5 / -2

I really like them french fried potators. Mmmmm, Hmmmmm....

Iraq, really? :confused:
  11. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +344 / 3 / -13

Please keep posting these topics! I LOVE reading liberals off-topic comments. Did you see how Darryl actually tried to turn it around and bring up the vaunted...."Other side"?

Talk about a laugher!!!! :rofl:
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +440 / 5 / -2

It's not worth trying to explain. It's a great choice PR! Global economy...Xnophobia...misgynomist....Iraq!

Ok, back to reality. This hire isnt surprising at all consider the person, and administration that made it. It falls right in line with not having anyone with business experience on the economic team. Intellectuals, government lifers, and check cashers all day long. It takes a novice to what other novices to hire. hehehe....
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +440 / 5 / -2

When we hit our greece like moment at some point inside my lifetime, some of us will be saying we told you all so.
  14. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +898 / 7 / -17

#87 Jersey

she has some radical different ideas on poverty and a few models in Africa and India that are showing some success. I'm not sure how that translates to this country ... but hey ... a different opinion or point of view might be what the administration needs. We have too many idiots in government so if they can toss one idiot and gain an intelligent person I am all for it.

Now if only 1 woman ... at least 1 woman could crack his inner circle. :rolleyes:
  15. Real World

Ratings:
    +440 / 5 / -2

A different opinion or point of view would mean hiring someone from the real world, with actual real world experience, and a resume of accomplishment. hiring another book smaht intellectual with no real world job is hardly changing the perspective. Its reinforcing the current failed one.
  16. Hamar

Hamar Rookie

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -1

And there will be certain people still yelling: "It's because of Bush!!".
  17. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -26

Guess the "Freedom Fry Movement" will once again be resurrected..

BTW in case you did not notice she is an American Citizen .. and she is eminently qualified to sit on a Global Development Council

Esther Duflo: Can this woman change the world? - Telegraph

18. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -26

More information on the Global Development Council..

FACT SHEET: The President

More members of the Global Developmental Council..

19. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Not seeing the drama. Obama hired an economist with a Ph.D from MIT to join his team.
  20. Nunchucks

Nunchucks Rookie

Ratings:
    +194 / 8 / -8

Yeah, we are doing so awful compared to the rest of the world....oh, wait.