Welcome to PatsFans.com

LA Driver Convicted on 6 Felony Counts After Running Down Cyclists

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by apple strudel, Nov 3, 2009.

1. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I'm sure nobody here has been following this story but it's a big one in the cycling community. Last year in LA a doctor ran down a group of cyclists who were riding three abreast at the tail end of a charity race (they had stopped and waited for a cyclist who had either crashed or had a mechanical).

More specifically, he pulled alongside them, rolled down the passenger window and told them to ride single file. He got the finger in return and that pissed him off so he decided to pull in front of the pack and brake hard. The front rider nearly had his nose amputated after crashing into the rear window, the second rider flew over the car and dislocated his shoulder. The driver apparently has a history of trying to run down cyclists, and at the scene he told a cop that he wanted to "teach them a lesson". To this day, nobody understands what lesson he was trying to teach.

The DA pressed felony charges and today he was convicted on 6 of them, including a misdemeanor. In my view this is absolutely the right decision. While nobody is saying that it's cool for the cyclists to give him the finger, they certainly didn't deserve what happened to them. I don't think enough drivers understand how vulnerable cyclists really are. So drivers, please drive safely.

http://www.velonews.com/article/99813/road-rage-verdict-victims-speak

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +469 / 12 / -14

Certainly road rage isn't an excuse to asult someone with your vehicle.

3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

Obviously this guy has an issue but cyclists have to ride single file. I know this is a personal issue for you but cyclists are second class citizens on the road, sorry. I am not a "cyclist" but I ride 20-30 minutes a day to get a little exercise and I'll ride off the road if I have to. Riding non single file is just asking for trouble.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  4. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

In MA the law states that cyclists can ride two abreast. This is a good law, designed to protect the cyclists. Further, I believe the cyclists in this case moved to single file after the driver pulled up. Why get upset for something that really only costs you 30 seconds of time, tops?

Not according to the law.

These guys were riding 3 abreast and the main reason for that is that there were at the end (a ways back) of a charity ride. In those rides obviously they don't ride in pacelines.

5. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

I'm not talking about the law, I'm talking about what makes sense. It makes no sense to ride 3 wide. If it's lawful, great, but it's still dangerous. I wouldn't dream of riding 2 wide.

6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,150 / 5 / -10

If your a Bike Rider be very careful there are some real Crazy People driving cars today, country roads can be just as dangerous as City Streets (Mass Ave).

How in the name of God do some of these weird looking crazy freaks get drivers licenses, is that another "political thing"-------------------:confused:

7. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +252 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

A similar thing happened (though no arrests or injuries) in a 5K race (running) I was in a couple of years ago. It's similar because I think the same mentality exists in a lot of people.

The route was marked and signs were up and there were even cops at some of the intersections. There was a group of 4 runners a little ahead of me that were almost hit as a car full of young girls veered at them at hollered "get out of the Fukcing road!"

I think a lot of drivers take on ahole personalities behind the wheel. You'd never see them behave that way in almost any other facet of their lives. I understand some frustration of having a commute interrupted but so many people become unreasonably irate. What is it? I don't get it.

8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

AFAIC, (my opinion, not the law), the road is for cars. Anyone else is "a guest". That's how I treat it when I'm on my bike. I try to be respectful of bikers when I'm driving but IMO bikers or runners are asking for trouble if they consider themselves to be equal. Again, I'm saying what makes sense to me not what the law says.

9. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Actually, if you think about it, it does make sense. For cyclists and motorcycles visibility is key, and riders riding 2 or 3 abreast are more visible from the rear than a paceline is, especially around curves. It's the same idea that says that it's actually safer for the cyclist to take the lane or for the cyclist to keep a straight line even if there's space on the right between parked cars (if you veer right in this case you're obscured by the cars). If you try riding solo through a mountain pass you'll see that your biggest worry is that cars won't see you.

10. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Bicycle Safety: How to Not Get Hit by Cars

Check out the number of "ride to the left" recommendations.

11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

That's a little complicated for me ;) I just ride on country type roads, none of this city riding. Again, I just think bike riders need to be the ones to take extra precautions even if the law says otherwise.

12. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +252 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

I respect your opinion,....but.... Roads are for cars and are designed for cars but when you get a license to drive you must understand that the law allows for these "guests" It may be annoying especially with those that want to impose their right of way but we have to suck it up and keep our cool.

13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

I don't disagree. But cyclists need to realize that while the law is on their side, they are the ones most at risk of physical harm so they need to do what makes sense, not necessarily what's legal. When I'm on a 2 lane road (one in each direction) and I have a car coming up behind me and one towards me (so the car behind can't pull out around me), I pull off onto the dirt and sand (I live in the desert). I don't HAVE to but it's better than getting hit.

14. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

On a 50 mile ride that's just not possible unless you live, well, in the middle of the desert. With a lot of car traffic, especially with the assh0le drivers in eastern MA, you just have to ride with them, ride defensively, and try to stay as visible as you can. That usually means riding more in the lane than not.

15. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Um, roads are for cars and motorcycles and trucks - anything that can keep up with traffic. I've yet to see a road, other than Lake Shore Drive in Chicago, which prohibits motorcycles or trucks. They're not "guests," they're licensed by the state and their drivers hold valid driver's licenses and pay taxes to use the roads just like the drivers of automobiles.

Bicycles are a bit different since they cannot keep up with traffic for the most part. Here in Va and DC there are alot of roads which have special lanes for bicycle riders but where they don't the cyclists generally stay to the right of the road and out of traffic. I do have one guy that I come across several mornings a week who insists on riding in the middle of the lane - and honestly, he drives me nuts because I'm terrified that either I'm going to accidently hit him or someone else is going to. I'm not a bicyclist by any means, so I don't know the "rules" and I don't know the etiquette but it does seem pretty dangerous to hold up rush hour traffic on a busy street and I do believe the guy has a death wish or something.

It's been my experience that most people aren't too nice to motorcyclists, either. I've been run off the road more times than I care to think about - people tend to follow too close and to pass too close as well. It almost seems like it's a game to some automobile drivers to harrass anyone on a motorcycle.

What's up with that, anyhow?

The dude that hit the people in the story - I hope he lost his license and went to jail.....regardless of the "laws" concerning cyclists, if you see them you're responsible for them and he obviously saw them. It doesn't always matter if you're right or not, does it? Hurting someone is always wrong. Hurting them deliberately is a special kind of wrong.

16. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

It's called taking the lane and there's a subset of cyclists who think that all cyclists should ride in the middle of the road because it's safer for them. In cities it makes sense for the cyclist since people open their doors into traffic without looking all the time. Treat this guy exactly like a slow car. Either ride behind him by a couple of car lengths or pass him without buzzing him.

I try to treat motorcyclists like brethren because of the 2 wheels thing, but they still tend to look down on cyclists. It's weird.

17. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,016 / 42 / -31

#24 Jersey

I've wanted to friggin ram them on more than 1 occasion. Riding 3 wide with all the gear on so it looks like their from the tour. Pompous azzes ... maybe if a few more get rammed they will ride in a single file like their supposed to.

18. alvinnf

alvinnf In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +16 / 2 / -0

Nothing fires me up more than whan a couple cyclists are in the middle of the road shootin the breeze and they make no attempt to get the hell out of the way. That's just bad for business!

19. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Road rager spotted.

You apparently don't know the law in MA. MA allows cyclists to ride two abreast so long as cars have room to pass.

Also, you're pretty ignorant about why cyclists wear what they do - it has nothing to do with how you look (it's kind of stupid looking on average people, you know), it has everything to do with comfort first, and performance second. Try riding for 3-4 hours at a stretch and tell me how your butt feels if you don't have a comfortable bib with chamois on, or how your eyes feel without the sunglasses, or how your feet feel with shoes that don't eliminate hot spots, or how gross you feel if your jersey doesn't wick moisture.

20. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Share the road. It's really that simple. But if that's all it takes to fire you up, you may want some blood pressure medication, too.