PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

La Canfora: MRI confirms torn ACL and MCL, expected to make full recovery for 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: La Canfora: MRI confirms torn ACL and MCL, expected to make full recovery for 201

That's good news. Because Brady's injury happened right at the start of the season, I didn't know if he needed 11-12 months to recover or just couldn't come back for the '08 season, so I was worried Wes might be out until next December.

Re: La Canfora: MRI confirms torn ACL and MCL, expected to make full recovery for 201

Hopefully Dr. Andrews performs the operation....No one is better and more knowledgable.

Actually, from what my understanding is that Dr. Andrews is more of a diagnostician than a surgeon at this point. He is the guy who looks at players and makes the calls for the best treatment, but doesn't usually do the surgery himself anymore. I could be wrong.

That's good news. Because Brady's injury happened right at the start of the season, I didn't know if he needed 11-12 months to recover or just couldn't come back for the '08 season, so I was worried Wes might be out until next December.

Brady was ready by most accounts (sorry Tom E Curran) for minicamps. He just didn't actually participate until later. He really only needed 8-9 months to get back on the field.

For similar timelines, Braylon Edwards got hurt a month earlier and returned for preseason. Deion Branch got hurt a couple of weeks later and returned after a stint on the PUP.

Welker may be delayed a little extra if they wait for the MCL to heal before doing the ACL. The timeline for Week 1 is possible though aggressive, the timeline for after being PUPed is exceptionally reasonable.

Re: La Canfora: MRI confirms torn ACL and MCL, expected to make fully recovery for 20

Yes, sorry. Messed that up.

Actually conventional wisdom is that you are back in the next season but not 100% yourself until the next season after that, so in a way, you are correct.

Brady's buddy is world class too. I assume Welker will go with who the Patriots recommend but if Neil Elattrache does it, he's in great hands.

Guys tend to go with the guy their peers recommend with an eye to where you want to spend the first month or so of your rehab. Welker may not want to be stuck in NE when there isn't a soul around and it's -degrees half the time. He may want to be near his family or on the left coast with his QB. You aren't supposed to fly for a time after the surgery which is one reason why Brady opted for the left coast. He wasn't needed here for anyting more than consultation and behind the scenes moral support which he and Cassel and Josh and Bill had ample access to the technology to handle long distance.

Hopefully the team takes it slow with the rehab and doesn't push the issue. Welker's game is predicated on hard, aggressive cutting, unlike a Braylon Edwards or a Tom Brady.

Re: Welker's Injury Confirmed

Those kind of expert opinions are a dime a dozen. Hasn't seen him and doesn't know when the surgery will be performed and isn't accounting for the fact that completing rehab and being cleared to return to full activity just means your ready to commence getting into football shape for these guys. He may be at that point come August, but by then the team is breaking camp and in pre season and they have to keep moving forward without him. He will get back when he's ready to play and not when he's ready to start conditioning for a football season. If he recovers as well as Tom did he could be ready to get back to football shape by mid to late June assuming he has surgery within the next month or so (depending on whether they opt to the mcl to heal on it's own or they plan to repair it when the acl is done which while speeding up the process on the one hand opens the patient up to increased risk of infection on the other as was the case with Brady). But that would still put him months behind his peers relative to off season conditioning. QB's battling the same scenario have come back in time for camp, but they aren't being asked to condition and perform like a slot WR, either.

It's not an opinion, it's an estimate, he never said anything as if it were a fact, he said "approximately 6-9 months."

Speaking of opinions being a dime a dozen....

Re: La Canfora: MRI confirms torn ACL and MCL, expected to make fully recovery for 20

You guys are the ADHD generation of teambuilding. Edleman isn't Welker and he may never be. They have some similarities but the are not identical and can serve different as well as overlapping roles here. Edleman missed much of his rookie season with a broken arm. Who's to say he turns out to be even as remotely durable as Welker has been through his first six seasons in the NFL.

but given the Patriots Blueprint for a team, would it be surprising if this were to eventually happen?

Actually conventional wisdom is that you are back in the next season but not 100% yourself until the next season after that, so in a way, you are correct.

That's more like urban myth. It's really an individual thing with physical and mental components that vary depending on your makeup and timing. Sometimes players will not appear to regain their form because they rushed through or missed out on an offseason program. Brady didn't and his numbers reflect it. Palmer was fine physically although mentally I've never been convinced he ever had IT to begin with. Ditto guys like McNabb and Culpepper. Rivers was fine. He's slowly emotionally maturing and improving or so they say but that had little to do with his rehabbing from his ACL. Hell, he had his removed and played the next week in the playoffs... His difficulties tended to emanate from within (his own lack of emotional control and and that teams) as opposed to some physical deficiencies. Ditto guys like Edwards... Branch has never been the same but that had as much to do with the circumstances he chose to place himself in as the injury he needed to overcome...

The really sad thing is that in this forum where just about EVERY player on the team including Brady has been critisized sooner or later in Patsfans.com, the fact remains that I cannot remember one single thread..or even one single post in here that ever said anything negative about Wes at anytime since he arrived in 2007...No one has been as much of a 100% positive player for his fans than Mr Welker has been.

Even NE Patriot never said anything bad about him :)

Last edited:

I did some internet searches and several of the medical journals that I read that studied ACL reconstructions on NFL RBs and WRs says that 68% of the players return to preinjury state near immediately upon returning from injury.

Re: Welker's Injury Confirmed

A QB with mechanics and reads is different than any other position. I think people tend to forget that for QB's, the second year is the year for full recovery.

Does anyone know if weight is a determining factor? Would this injury limit a 185 lb Welker vs a 240 lb RB?

Good point- I would imagine that weight would matter.

That said, I'm not particularly concerned with when Welker comes back. Just that he does come back as close to 100% as possible. If he can be ready for TC, excellent- if he needs to be PUPed, then that's a tough break, but really not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. We needed to improve our WR depth with or without Welker, so the silver lining is that this will help us do exactly that.

I did some internet searches and several of the medical journals that I read that studied ACL reconstructions on NFL RBs and WRs says that 68% of the players return to preinjury state near immediately upon returning from injury.

One has to factor in the mental recovery as well. Players including Palmer have said that the mental recovery is more difficult than the physical recovery. I am not sure that this topic is covered in medical journals which tend to stay away from abstract matters.

One has to factor in the mental recovery as well. Players including Palmer have said that the mental recovery is more difficult than the physical recovery. I am not sure that this topic is covered in medical journals which tend to stay away from abstract matters.

I'm sure they measured production on the field as the indicator. So if a player caught 100 balls for 1100 yards the year of their injury, they caught about the same the following year. But without reading the entire article (only read the abstracts), I do not know the methodology.

Here's another recent example :

"Eagles MLB Stewart Bradley (torn ACL, injured reserve) "appeared perfectly healthy" when spotted at the team complex on Monday.
Bradley's loss was the initial uppercut to a Philly linebacker corps that's been ravaged by injuries all year. Now five months removed from the injury, the silver lining is that Bradley should be ready for the starting of 2010 camp."

The really sad thing is that in this forum where just about EVERY player on the team including Brady has been critisized sooner or later in Patsfans.com, the fact remains that I cannot remember one single thread..or even one single post in here that ever said anything negative about Wes at anytime since he arrived in 2007...No one has been as much of a 100% positive player for his fans than Mr Welker has been.

I think incredible would be a better description of the situation than sad. However there were those who lambasted BB for overpaying in draft picks and compensation for a slot receiver. In fact the immortal NEM was convinced that he was a colossal mistake made all to clear by the subsequent signings of Stallworth and Moss and boldly predicted he would be cut in TC unless Belichick was just too arrogant and stubborn to admit he'd made a mistake... Although by the time he was spouting that crap I think he'd been banned here.

Maybe that's why this thread feels like patsfans.com during the "dynasty" years for this site.

Great discussion and interesting comments.

Mo

Have you seen Branch play at all? A knee injury is a great excuse for under performing.

Wes was my vote for MVP of SB 42, had we won.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back