PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

La Canfora: MRI confirms torn ACL and MCL, expected to make full recovery for 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Welker's Injury Confirmed

Brady had an infection too. IIRC didn't the infection come back at some point during his recovery? Ugh :(

Brady says he was ready to get back to work in February. That was 4 months post op for him. Thing is that was six weeks before the off season program started and as a result he was ready for all of the off season and mini camp and TC and pre season. Wes probably won't be ready for any of the off season and will have to start that conditioning sometime in late May or June barring complications. He won't be ready for the start of camp and it's not likely they will rush him to catch up given the potential downside to that approach. Losing an off season impacts even veteran guys when they are rehabbing. He could start the season active depending on roster needs and be eased back in or start the season on PUP more likely. It will be a lot more important to have him back sound than to have him back early.

I am guessing from the reports this is not the same as the Brady injury, or rather that the injury would be more significant given their capabilities allowing them to perform their respective roles so well. Brady is no runner, so even though he suffered what sounds to be greater damage than Welker, he doesn't have to do nearly as much with his legs to perform his role on the team.

Welker relies heavily on quickness and cuts, so I expect any diminished capability in his ability to do that will greatly effect his productivity. Here's hoping Wes recovers quickly, and doesn't lose to any great degree the skills that make him a great receiver. I have no doubt he will throw everything he has into getting back into playing condition to the extent possible.

He could start the season active depending on roster needs and be eased back in or start the season on PUP more likely. It will be a lot more important to have him back sound than to have him back early.

Yep. Still think PUP is best case. Seems to be pushing it if they keep a roster spot for him and deactivate him each week early in the season.

But i'm not Wes.;)

Re: La Canfora: MRI confirms torn ACL and MCL, expected to make fully recovery for 20

It won't surprise me if Wes is ready by September but I'm not expecting him to be the same WR in the first year back.

We'll see Wes return to being Wes in 2012.

Maybe he'll be Wes by the playoffs next season, if the Patriots qualify. With the murderer's row schedule, the Patriots should be hoping for 11-5.

Re: La Canfora: MRI confirms torn ACL and MCL, expected to make fully recovery for 20

It won't surprise me if Wes is ready by September but I'm not expecting him to be the same WR in the first year back.

We'll see Wes return to being Wes in 2012.

Maybe he'll be Wes by the playoffs next season, if the Patriots qualify. With the murderer's row schedule, the Patriots should be hoping for 11-5.

Don't you mean 2011?

Sadly, I think by the time Wes is back to whatever he's going to be, perhaps 80-85% of pre-injury WW, Edelman will be the better option. Of course, it won't hurt to have two guys that can work the slot.

Those kind of expert opinions are a dime a dozen. Hasn't seen him and doesn't know when the surgery will be performed and isn't accounting for the fact that completing rehab and being cleared to return to full activity just means your ready to commence getting into football shape for these guys. He may be at that point come August, but by then the team is breaking camp and in pre season and they have to keep moving forward without him. He will get back when he's ready to play and not when he's ready to start conditioning for a football season. If he recovers as well as Tom did he could be ready to get back to football shape by mid to late June assuming he has surgery within the next month or so (depending on whether they opt to the mcl to heal on it's own or they plan to repair it when the acl is done which while speeding up the process on the one hand opens the patient up to increased risk of infection on the other as was the case with Brady). But that would still put him months behind his peers relative to off season conditioning. QB's battling the same scenario have come back in time for camp, but they aren't being asked to condition and perform like a slot WR, either.

When is Welkers contract up? It wouldn't suprise me to see Edelman hit the ground running and take Welkers spot. BB is always trying to get a younger, cheaper guy to do the job. It's a part of BUILDING a team.

Last edited:

Don't you mean 2011?

I'm sure that is what he meant - although the conventional wisdom is there won't be an NFL 2011. At least not a full 16 game version.

Last edited:

When is Welkers contract up? It would suprise me to see Edelman hit the ground running and takes Welkers spot. BB is always trying to get younger, cheaper guy to do the job. It's a part of BUILDING a team.

Welker is signed though 2011. Hes a 4.2m hit in 2010 and a 4.3m hit in 2011.

If he can't come back, then i'm sure an injury settlement would be negotiated and he'd be released. If in 2010 he shows hes back, I'd venture to think that the Pats would be fine w/ a guy catching 120 balls a year making 4.3m.

My .02$

He was wearing a brace and had a slight limp......:confused: That all points to a weakend knee and rightfully so.

He's going to wear a brace for the rest of his life as a trainers precaution. Manning wears the same one and he never tore his ACL and hopes never to. Tommy wasn't limping, although some in the media tried to manufacture a limp to maintain dramatic interest. And he got those ribs cracked in pre season which will temporarily alter your gait a little I believe...

Don't you mean 2011?

Yes, sorry. Messed that up.

He's going to wear a brace for the rest of his life as a trainers precaution. Manning wears the same one and he never tore his ACL and hopes never to. Tommy wasn't limping, although some in the media tried to manufacture a limp to maintain dramatic interest. And he got those ribs cracked in pre season which will temporarily alter your gait a little I believe...

A lot of these guys who don't rely on their legs for running should be wearing braces. The ACL is a ligament and it holds a knee together! It could use reinforcement.

When is Welkers contract up? It wouldn't suprise me to see Edelman hit the ground running and take Welkers spot. BB is always trying to get a younger, cheaper guy to do the job. It's a part of BUILDING a team.

You guys are the ADHD generation of teambuilding. Edleman isn't Welker and he may never be. They have some similarities but the are not identical and can serve different as well as overlapping roles here. Edleman missed much of his rookie season with a broken arm. Who's to say he turns out to be even as remotely durable as Welker has been through his first six seasons in the NFL.

You guys are the ADHD generation of teambuilding. Edleman isn't Welker and he may never be. They have some similarities but the are not identical and can serve different as well as overlapping roles here. Edleman missed much of his rookie season with a broken arm. Who's to say he turns out to be even as remotely durable as Welker has been through his first six seasons in the NFL.

We're going to have to put up with the "trade Welker, keep Edelman" stuff that is inspired by the "trade Brady, keep Cassel" crowd.

Totally different players...I may be off the deep end but Edleman reminds me of Rickey Proehl although Edlman has a little more size.

Re: La Canfora: MRI confirms torn ACL and MCL, expected to make full recovery for 201

Hopefully Dr. Andrews performs the operation....No one is better and more knowledgable.

Re: La Canfora: MRI confirms torn ACL and MCL, expected to make full recovery for 201

I always thought there was a good chance Welker would be able to play the entire year last year. Listening to D&C yesterday, they were talking about his career being over.

An ACL tear is not that big of an injury anymore. Players come back at near pre-injury condition after 7-9 months all the time these days.

Hopefully Dr. Andrews performs the operation....No one is better and more knowledgable.
Brady's buddy is world class too. I assume Welker will go with who the Patriots recommend but if Neil Elattrache does it, he's in great hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes