PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lions trade LB Kyle Van Noy (& 7th) to Patriots for 6th round draft pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude... I thought this was a Costanza moment...

NlLb4_f-thumbnail-100-0_s-600x0.jpg
Sadly, it isn't the result of cold water.

LB health has been problematic this year:
  • Hightower -- great player who keeps getting dinged up
  • Collins -- great player who keeps getting dinged up
  • Freeny -- IR
  • Roberts -- dinged up in his breakout game
  • McClellin -- can't get/stay on the field
I don't think BB has fixed ideas right now for what roles guys will fill. He probably wants multiple candidates in the hope that SOMEBODY will be both effective and healthy.

Could be also about heavier rotation - like they did with DE's in Pittsburgh.
Fresher Collins and High in the 4th quarters and in playoffs could be crucial.

LB health has been problematic this year:
  • Hightower -- great player who keeps getting dinged up
  • Collins -- great player who keeps getting dinged up

They've each only had 1 this year.

You would think that with Mingo, Roberts, McClellan, and Ninko able to play LB we have plenty of LB depth (especially when you compare it to DT and the OL). Besides 7.22 is not exactly an earth shattering 3 cone time. Though being picked #40 is impressive.

I can't say I understand this trade, but like I said in an earlier post, BB/Casserio's in-season personnel moves have been overwhelmingly positive over the years. No all were home runs, but most didn't hurt.
Gotta disagree. I think Ninko is a linebacker by name only. I wouldn't want to see him play away from the line for long. Love Roberts but he's undersized and not suited for a lot of situations. And if McClellan takes another concussion he could be done for the year so I see this as a necessary depth move.

Your handy helpful Joe Kerr is only here to assist you in your time of dire need, Galeb...may I suggest (ahem) an accoutrement to aid in handling your shrimp-like issue...

nail-art-tweezers-1.jpg

Gotta disagree. I think Ninko is a linebacker by name only. I wouldn't want to see him play away from the line for long. Love Roberts but he's undersized and not suited for a lot of situations. And if McClellan takes another concussion he could be done for the year so I see this as a necessary depth move.

Really don't know where this is coming from?
Ninko was practicing with LB unit the whole TC .. BB clearly wanted him for both options .. and he was used more as OLB so far .. and he was solid as a rock. It is added value to this team and added versatility.
Roberts is proving just the opposite .. that he is not (playing) undersized and can be used in many situations.
_

The good thing about this no risk trade - Pats gave up virtually nothing for a cheap signing - is that this is the guy that BB personally worked out, that he obviously still likes something about him and that he got him from his former director of pro scouting ..

I'm told size isn't everything. o_O

That said, how big is your tongue?

;)
Neither of us is dumb enough to buy the idea that "isn't everything"="doesn't matter". That said, your encouragement is much appreciated. What are your thoughts on erectile dysfunction?

Has Bill finally done it? I think he has!

Let the Crable 2.0 era begin!

Seems like this trade is an indirect message that the pass rushers are not getting the job done and de's playing linebacker could be de's again.

Some de on the pats defense is having an omg moment.

• Agree
Reactions: jah
I can live with Van Noy & Detroit's 7th-rounder for our 6th-rounder.

I'm still waiting for Bill to trade for an OT, DT and Pass-Rusher; i.e.: Real Needs.

I can live with Van Noy & Detroit's 7th-rounder for our 6th-rounder.

I'm still waiting for Bill to trade for an OT, DT and Pass-Rusher; i.e.: Real Needs.

Unless the injuries to Valentine and Hamilton are long term, DT is not a need. There's a difference between being momentarily understaffed and having a real need. If this team has an Achilles heel when at full strength, it's the OL.

If your backup DTs are Vinnie Valentine & Woody Hamilton, then DT is indeed a need.

I do agree with your take on the OL, however.

sure would be nice to see herr sea-bass return........

If your backup DTs are Vinnie Valentine & Woody Hamilton, then DT is indeed a need.

I do agree with your take on the OL, however.

Based on everything I've seen, both Valentine and Hamilton and fine backups at the DT position. In fact, assuming they're healthy, we have a particularly strong rotation at that position in my opinion.

Van Noy is yet another Lions second-round draft pick that didn’t work out ... He had 21 tackles and never quite made the splash plays Detroit had drafted him for.

Sounds familiar? Same like with Mingo .. when high draft pick doesn't bring everything one expected and fills that role & “make a splash" .. they don't have the patience to use him in a smaller yet productive possibly important role.

And here's what BB is probably seeing:

He was highly touted out of BYU as a player who had a knack for forcing turnovers and making big plays with 26 career sacks, 11 forced fumbles and seven interceptions.

_
New scheme might bring out best in newly acquired LB Kyle Van Noy

And here's BB about the trade:

“He was on-the-line SAM in their 4-3 package, he was off the line, inside linebacker in their nickel package,” Belichick said. “He didn’t really play a lot his first two years. This year was when he had his most playing time, played in the kicking game.”

Belichick was asked if having a previous relationship with Quinn helped facilitate the trade. “It could. There’s a lot of teams that don’t — that seem kind of reluctant to trade this time of year especially,” Belichick said. “It’s one of those things that came up fairly quickly. It just worked out. It wasn’t somebody we talked about or anything like that previously. It kind of came up, so we were able to work it out. Bob’s great to work with. We made another trade with another team in our conference, so if it’s there to be made, it’s there to be made. If it’s not, it’s not.”

Read more at: Bill Belichick Reacts To Patriots Trading AJ Derby, For Kyle Van Noy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back