PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kyle Eckel appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
OK--so he did have a false start on the punt. [Amazing--"the punt" is uniquely specifying. . . .]

That said, he also had a tackle on the first KO, where the Bills were kept inside their 20. He also looks like he can actually catch passes, and not just take the ball and run up the middle for a yard or two.

While I don't expect him to have a 200-yard, 4-TD game anytime soon, he does look like another solid role player, and another good UDFA find by Belioli.

He was a Steve Belichick find

Awesome to see Eckel back with the team, living up to the promise he showed in the preseason last year. Hope he sticks this time.

I liked him when he was here the first time around, and when NE released him I figured they simply didn't want to wait out his commitment to the Navy.

Funny thing is the Dolphins were impressed with his performance with the Patriots so they gave him a shot, even with the Navy commitment, which speaks volumes. I'm glad (for whatever reason) he didn't work out in Miami, because he's a decent player.

I'm a Navy vet (enlisted) so I'm a built-in Eckel fan! I hope he has lots of success in NE!

:rocker:

I was an Eckel fan right from the start... he was my darkhorse choice to make the team

I was disappointed when the Fins took him and even more disappointed when I heard the allegations against him... and am not sure if that was resolved fully or the case was just dropped...

But I'm glad to have him back in a football sense

That being said, he and Evans are often major beneficiaries of a pass happy offense where teams aren't as concerned about the run... that could be making them look better than they are...

Still - Eckel's gotten a lot of trash time when defenses DO expect the run and he hasn't been half bad then either.

Basically he's not yet fully developed and is not as good as he looks - but he could wind up having a long Patrick Pass-like career or better.

What allegations?

OK--so he did have a false start on the punt. [Amazing--"the punt" is uniquely specifying. . . .]

That said, he also had a tackle on the first KO, where the Bills were kept inside their 20. He also looks like he can actually catch passes, and not just take the ball and run up the middle for a yard or two.

While I don't expect him to have a 200-yard, 4-TD game anytime soon, he does look like another solid role player, and another good UDFA find by Belioli.

He is no starter...ever. The holes he was running through were massive. As you can already tell by the tone of this post, I don't appreciate him that much and am pretty sure he will not be a permanent fixture on this team. But with all of this said, he did contribute. Which was nice.

I'm a Navy vet (enlisted) so I'm a built-in Eckel fan! I hope he has lots of success in NE!

:rocker:

I'm assuming you missed the Globe piece this weekend? A disappointing read. I grew up in a USNA household that admired Joe Bellino and Roger Staubach - stars on the field; officers and gentlemen off. Now, there was NEVER any doubt in my mind that Kyle's future was in football and not commanding men aboard a cruiser. And I have no problem with that. I just wish he would be disassociated with USNA when mentioned in primetime football broadcasts. What I mean to say is: Kyle Eckel's USNA education is the first thing we hear about him, but given his ignominious detachment from the Navy, we should treat his connection as no more special than Randy Moss's connection with Marshall. USNA is a place he attended for four years and certainly not a part of his identity. Not in my mind, at least. I suspect not in his, either.

I'm assuming you missed the Globe piece this weekend? A disappointing read. I grew up in a USNA household that admired Joe Bellino and Roger Staubach - stars on the field; officers and gentlemen off. Now, there was NEVER any doubt in my mind that Kyle's future was in football and not commanding men aboard a cruiser. And I have no problem with that. I just wish he would be disassociated with USNA when mentioned in primetime football broadcasts. What I mean to say is: Kyle Eckel's USNA education is the first thing we hear about him, but given his ignominious detachment from the Navy, we should treat his connection as no more special than Randy Moss's connection with Marshall. USNA is a place he attended for four years and certainly not a part of his identity. Not in my mind, at least. I suspect not in his, either.
Take the stick out of your butt. It will help you lighten up.

Last edited:
OOhhh... another shady cheaty type like Moss. No worries, he'll fit right in here.

PS

I think his accusation was a fight/sexual assault in a bar. Boy never heard of *that* one in the Navy. No Sir! Officers and Gentlemen every man jack of them!

Last edited:

Lo Jack,
I went to the same HS as Heisman winner Joe Bellino. Nice guy. Graduated with his younger brother. I respect your perspective.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/11/18/troubled_waters/

Here is the link.

The article has a lot of circumstantial material and goes out of its way to balance the negative with some positive assessments, but the fact remains that Eckel seems to have been around trouble more than he should have been and that he and the Navy did not part on good terms.

Many of the Patriots seem from what I read to be very admirable people (Ty Warren, Jarvis Green, for example) but there is no law that says that all of them will be.

OOhhh... another shady cheaty type like Moss. No worries, he'll fit right in here.

PS

I think his accusation was a fight/sexual assault in a bar. Boy never heard of *that* one in the Navy. No Sir! Officers and Gentlemen every man jack of them!
That wasn't the allegation, and that's not what my post is about. I understand that this board wants to make everything about Patriots vs. The World. It ain't. Not in this case.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/11/18/troubled_waters/

Here is the link.

The article has a lot of circumstantial material and goes out of its way to balance the negative with some positive assessments, but the fact remains that Eckel seems to have been around trouble more than he should have been and that he and the Navy did not part on good terms.

Many of the Patriots seem from what I read to be very admirable people (Ty Warren, Jarvis Green, for example) but there is no law that says that all of them will be.
This is my own personal belief--there aren't all that many situations that in my mind are "unforgivable." Nothing Kyle is alleged to have done falls in that category [cf., for example, Michael Vick].

If he puts his nose to the grindstone here, I'm willing to forgive him whatever he might have done in the past.

Here is the link.

You surprise me Mike. I'd figure you for being all over this one. S'alright. Just this one time.

My only point is that the Navy disconnected from Kyle Eckel, and so we should stop hearing about his USNA connection as a point of emphasis each time he hits the field. He brought no glory to the Academy. Allegation or not, he was still "Anchor Man" of his class. He never did carry himself as an officer should. Many others haven't, either (*cough* Max *cough* Lane). I'd like to disassociate them, as well.

This is my own personal belief--there aren't all that many situations that in my mind are "unforgivable." Nothing Kyle is alleged to have done falls in that category [cf., for example, Michael Vick].

If he puts his nose to the grindstone here, I'm willing to forgive him whatever he might have done in the past.

And I'd agree with that.

That wasn't the allegation, and that's not what my post is about. I understand that this board wants to make everything about Patriots vs. The World. It ain't. Not in this case.

In case you hadn't noticed. It *is* the Patriots Against the World...Matey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes