PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kyle Arrington not getting it done per PFF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone name a player...ANY player...even ONE player in this secondary that would be a certain starter on most teams??.........anyone?,anyone?

It is what it is

I'm hoping Tavon Wilson in a year or two.

The Patriots secondary is like a graveyard for cornerback's careers.

I think guys like Law, Samuel, Hobbs and Gay would disagree with that assessment.

I think guys like Law, Samuel, Hobbs and Gay would disagree with that assessment.

I agree on Samuel and Law. Gay was only serviceable and Hobbs is a polarizing one like Mccourty. Some defended him, I feel like he was picked on frequently. He was valuable though as a returner.

I agree on Samuel and Law. Gay was only serviceable and Hobbs is a polarizing one like Mccourty. Some defended him, I feel like he was picked on frequently. He was valuable though as a returner.

Neither Hobbs nor Gay had the Patriots as a career graveyard, regardless of fan opinion. That's what your claim was.

No he was not. I have been anti-Arrington for three seasons and now feel vindicated, as I was regarding Hobbs.

Arrington had seven interceptions last season, a nice number..nut FIVE came when he was standing all alone after being deked and beaten only tohave the balls be tipped off of the receivers fingers or overthrown. One came when he was flat on the ground and the ball rolled on to his stomach. LOOK PAST THE NUMBERS. HE SUCKS, HE IS THE WORST COVER CORNER ON THE ROSTER AND SHOULD HAVE BEEN CUT...

Sorry, but those are the facts.

You weren't vindicated regarding Hobbs.

Neither Hobbs nor Gay had the Patriots as a career graveyard, regardless of fan opinion. That's what your claim was.

Alright then, for the past five years or so, at least since 2007, it's been a graveyard. Butler, Wilhite, Bodden, Springs, Deltha O Neal and Dowling seems to be going that way.

Alright then, for the past five years or so, at least since 2007, it's been a graveyard. Butler, Wilhite, Bodden, Springs, Deltha O Neal and Dowling seems to be going that way.

There's definitely an issue at CB in recent years. We've got a thread talking about it, in terms of coaching v. talent, as a matter of fact.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/953836-coaching.htmlhttp://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/953836-coaching.html

Check it out. Weigh in. Different takes are always nice.

Another PFF fail.

How many targets are we talking about here? Corners are also on the field on plays they aren't targeted. With such a small sample size, this stat doesn't mean that much in a vacuum. All it does is prove what we've known - Arrington has been beat a few times. What happened on the rest of the plays?

True. It basically says that the ball is thrown in Arrington's direction only when he's been beaten his man.

If we want to have a discussion about how he's not a very good cover corner, then fine--that's true, and I think almost everyone would agree--but this stat by PFF tells you very little, and certainly doesn't say what PFF is claiming it does. Not that I'm surprised; garbage sources are garbage sources for a reason.

Last edited:

Think folks also have to remember that this is one of the youngest Defensive Backfields in the league, believe the oldest is 26...

They will get better as the season progresses...

The poor statistics are also due to the bend, don't break defense as well..

Arrington is a nickel/dime guy being forced into the starter role due to the incompetence/injuries of other players both past and present. I don't call him out often, because I consider him a player who's woefully overmatched pretty much every game he plays.

Saying that Arrington isn't getting it done is like saying a #4 center's not getting it done because he's getting owned by all stars: It may be true, but it's to be expected.

He's really good on special teams, though.

I didn't really need PFF to tell me Arrington is not getting it done

Another PFF fail.

How many targets are we talking about here? Corners are also on the field on plays they aren't targeted. With such a small sample size, this stat doesn't mean that much in a vacuum. All it does is prove what we've known - Arrington has been beat a few times. What happened on the rest of the plays?

Yeah even though Arrington has been bad, this stat sounds completely useless. So if a CB is on the field for 20 pass plays and blankets his guy for 19 of them with nothing thrown his way, but the coverage is less than perfect once and results in a 15 yard completion, he would probably have the same stat?

Another PFF fail.

How is that a fail? When teams throw at Arrington, they usually complete those passes and for big yardage. That's pretty much it. Even if he's got absolutely perfect coverage when teams don't go after him, it's still a strong indicative of bad performance. You can't just discard this information as meaningless.

Yeah even though Arrington has been bad, this stat sounds completely useless. So if a CB is on the field for 20 pass plays and blankets his guy for 19 of them with nothing thrown his way, but the coverage is less than perfect once and results in a 15 yard completion, he would probably have the same stat?

Is this what you believe is happening with Arrington, though? Thing is, a pretty signifcant part of being a cornerback is having the ability to prevent a catch when the football is thrown your way. Revis is pretty much the best CB the NFL has seen in the past 20 years. He still sees passes coming his way with reasonable frequency. Not nearly 81% of them are completed, though.

Last edited:
RE: the PFF analysis...it the situation were anywhere close to being what they are implying, why aren't teams just crushing the Pats in the first half? If the Pats secondary (and Arrington in particular) is inept, then the league is somewhere below inept for not scoring at will against them.

I'm not an Arrington cheerleader (the only ball in the air I want him chasing is a punt), but he is doing the job he is asked to do. Keeps everything in front of him and makes a sure tackle. Supports the run and screens on the edges. The issue with Arrington isn't now. The issue will be in the playoffs defending a lead with under 3 minutes to play. Arrington hasn't shown the ability to step up and create a stop/force a turnover.

Is this what you believe is happening with Arrington, though? Thing is, a pretty signifcant part of being a cornerback is having the ability to prevent a catch when the football is thrown your way. Revis is pretty much the best CB the NFL has seen in the past 20 years. He still sees passes coming his way with reasonable frequency. Not nearly 81% of them are completed, though.

Of course not, I'm just giving an example of how misleading that stat could be. And like I said, Arrington has been bad there's no disputing that but that stat really tells me nothing about his performance.

No he was not. I have been anti-Arrington for three seasons and now feel vindicated, as I was regarding Hobbs.

Arrington had seven interceptions last season, a nice number..nut FIVE came when he was standing all alone after being deked and beaten only tohave the balls be tipped off of the receivers fingers or overthrown. One came when he was flat on the ground and the ball rolled on to his stomach. LOOK PAST THE NUMBERS. HE SUCKS, HE IS THE WORST COVER CORNER ON THE ROSTER AND SHOULD HAVE BEEN CUT...

Sorry, but those are the facts.

Yikes! that's not saying much about those Second and Third Rounders who are no longer with the Team. It's time for Mr. Dowling to step up! what might have been if we had Taken another in the Top of that Second Round instead of him.:snob:

Hopefully the Dennard era begins as quickly as possible.

There is something about that kid. He earned time in BBs eyes....

Why BB believes Moore was a better fit to cover D Thomas downfield instead of Dowling remains the mystery of mysteries. Dowling was drafted for the D Thomas' of the NFL. From the QBs vantage point....I'm much more likely to target the midget DB instead of of the DB that has more physical presence. Cromartie comes to mind. His stride length alone gets him back into the play.

I don't think that Belichick is nearly that pathetically stupid.

Moore did a great job on Fitzgerald with proper safety help, and my guess is that was also the plan for Thomas. I doubt that Belichick would ever be dumb enough to leave Moore one on one with Thomas.

When he realized that the safety help was lacking a bit, he decided to try Dennard's skillset, which is obviously much better suited to cover Thomas than Moore's will ever be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes