Welcome to PatsFans.com

KY proposes smoking ban in cars with kids

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Jan 18, 2011.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +607 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

KY proposes smoking ban in cars with kids - KLTV 7 News Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |

'
    I don't think the necks will be happy about this.
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

Have issues with legislating a commonsense issue.. all this does is make for more difficult police work..

Pretty confident that if passed, there will be a load of unintended consequences..
  3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +365 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

And I have issues with anyone trying to say a parent can't smoke a cigarette around their own child but they can (and do) carry semi-automatic weapons into schools, churches and fair grounds where other people's children are present with impunity.

Honestly (and I am only using these two people as examples because everyone knows them) if given a choice, I'd much rather my 9 year old daughter attend a birthday party for Sasha Obama and risk her dad lighting up in her presence than I would send her to visit with Willow Palin where she's liable to shoot herself with a stray moose gun left locked and loaded somewhere they thought the kids couldn't get to.

When they quit passing laws which allow people I don't know to carry guns into my kid's school they can start passing laws which tell me I can't smoke in a car with him, either.
  4. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +156 / 2 / -2

I understand what you're saying, mrs, but the cigarette smoke, in an enclosed space, is clearly harmful. How harmful can be debated, but I don't think many people would dispute that it's harmful. A gun is not -- it has the potential to be devastating, but it's generally harmless.

I honestly have no idea what to think about this law, except that I wish it were unnecessary. Unfortunately, with some parents it isn't.
  5. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 12 / -2

I think it is about time somebody addressed this issue.

I grew up in a house of smokers and I suffered from bronchitis on a regular
    basis. Years later I find out that 2nd hand smoke sure did not help my
    bronchitis.

I remember my parents taking me on the Sunday drive as a child
    Man I hated those Sunday drives in a car filled with cigarette smoke.
    I remember being sick to my stomach from the smoke and my parents
    called it "being car sick"..... yeah sick in a car because of 2nd hand smoke.

If you can't smoke in a bar or a restaurant, you should not be able to smoke
    in a car with a child.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  6. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +607 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

You think it would be in this day and age of all that we know.
  7. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +607 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

I knew 3 people now deceased whose spouse's were heavy smokers ... they were non smokers ... all 3 died of throat cancer. I would hate to live with that guilt - I've never smoked (cigarettes) ... so i guess it's easy for me to say.

Neither my wife, myself or my kids smoke ... I like that.
  8. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +204 / 3 / -10

9. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 12 / -2

Smoking with your kids in your car should trigger a call to DSS.
    This is a form of child abuse, when you put your own addiction ahead
    of your childs health.

My father had a cabnet full of guns under lock and key.
    The amo was locked in a safe away from the guns.

Trust me when I tell you.... cigarettes caused me much more harm
    than the guns in our home.

Too bad they were not as responsible with their addictions, as they
    were with the guns.
  10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

This makes no sense, police are already overburdened.. on a list of to do things on a shift this will probably come in at 122 or higher.

To make more laws that are difficult to enforce on an already burdened legal system makes little sense.. more government intervention never did much of anything.

Should people be smoking with children in cars?? Of course not, but not every issue falls into the purvue of law enforcement..

The less government intervention is usually better, to suggest it is a child welfare issue denotes a lack of knowledge in this field.. as the last thing these really expensive and overburded agencies need is to become involved with people who smoke cigarettes... what are you going to do put the kids in foster care because a parent smokes??? The courts do not need additional burdens either..

Both my parents died with a cigarette in their hands, and I smoked for almost 30 years before I quit 19 years ago.. my son finally, who is 37, quit about a month ago, but my daughter never did.. for the grace of god, no one has gotten cancer of the lungs in my family.

It is about choice, and making education avalable so people understand the consequence of their actions on others..
  11. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +365 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

It is....and the same people who are asking for state intervention in this matter are some of the same people who totally freak out over any governmental agency attempting to limit salt intake or ban Happy Meals.

Salt and sugar are the next generation's cigarettes - there is more and more information coming available about the health risks of certain foods for children in this generation as there was information about cigarettes in the previous one....and the dangers and health risks are equally worrisome.

How can you be for government interference in one and not in the other?
  12. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +376 / 0 / -1

#54 Jersey

Smoking with your kids around at all is dumb, but why, oh why are we legislating this?

While I see Darryl's point about overburdening law enforcement, I think the net effect is that the police are going to be pretty lax about enforcing it, like they are with the cell phone, eating, and looking tired while driving laws here in the northeast.

Education is the way to go. You'd be amazed how much people don't know or realize.

...or we can just clap them in irons and send them to the stocks.
  13. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I HATE the idea of anyone smoking in their car with their kids along for the ride, I hope its not a widespread thing, but on the other hand is this ban really going to do anything? My guess is that people who smoke in their cars with kids are also smoking at home with kids, and the kids are spending a lot more time in a smoky house than in a smoky car. Wouldn't be worth the burden of enforcement in that case, right?
  14. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +156 / 2 / -2

I think there are two differences.

First, salt and sugar aren't inherently bad for you. In fact, both are needed (in some form) to live. Same doesn't go for cigarette smoke.

Second is the harm caused. Is one car ride with a smoker going to cause (permanent) harm in any degree? No idea. But I'm confident that an order of fries or a candy bar isn't going to cause any damage.
  15. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 12 / -2

Treat it like the seat belt law.
    Give a hefty fine if you pull over a driver and smell smoke while there
    are kids in the car.
  16. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Do we expect Ru Paul, er, I mean Rand, to sign off on this?
  17. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +204 / 3 / -10

Like many have written, passing a law would be too expensive to enforce (and I agree), so we all responsible citizens should just publically ridicule those parents we see smoking in a car with children.

We could even have signs made that we could have our passengers flash as we drive by such low-lifes.

Or maybe we could force these smoking parents to display a sign that says,

"Baby on Board and I'm Smoking!"
  18. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

I couldn't agree more Darryl. I totally agree.

Wow. Just wow. Save the children! :bricks:

Plus there's that "goddam piece of paper" with a certain text written next to the number two, that the Mrs might run into some problems with.

Bingo. Why can't people smoke in a restaurant or bar? Who is the government to tell the owner of a private establishment that he or she cannot allow patrons to smoke? This is exactly why I hate nanny state laws like these. Once you start to pass one nanny state law, an entire hoard of ugly nanny's (not the hot ones :D) come looking to shake your liberty to death.

When they do, don't complain when some reject looks to pass some laws that prevent people from taking too many vitamins. :p

You are partly correct here. Some of the people who would whine about the gubmit forcing an adult to wear a seatbelt or be fined, restrictions on happy meals, and/or some beaurocrats messing with their food are looking for this law to pass. However, the gubmit has no right to restrict my ability to enjoy sweets, or a smoke, because some other people are stupid, fat, and lazy.

To all of you who want to see this law pass, I ask what's next? Will it then be illegal to smoke a cigarette in your house if you have a child in it? Already here in Boston they've moved to outlaw cigarette smoking in outdoor area's (say a roof deck) of the bars and clubs in the city. This is why I'm always wary of passing behavior laws to appease, or control the few, at the cost of the many. I know, I know, we gotta Save the Children! :D
  19. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +156 / 2 / -2

I can see an argument for prohibiting smoking ina house with children, but I don't support it at all. I think where I come out on that and the car is similar to a parent hitting their kids. I don't think slapping your kid should be illegal.
    But if there's clear damage done, and a pattern of abuse, then there is a crime.

Same goes for smoking, I've concluded. If a kid has asthma, for example -- this is just an example, I don't know if it's medically sounds -- and smoking is clearly harmful to the kid, the parent should be told not to smoke around the child. If the kid keeps on going to the ER because of asthma attacks triggered by parents smoking, they should be investigated for abuse / endangerment of the child.

MAybe that pov is misguided. If it is, I'm sure somebody will let me know. :)

And not to get too far OT, but I really hope nobody opposes this but supports smoking bans in bars and clubs. In this situation, at least we're talking about kids who have no say. When it's a bar, it's adults by definition, and every person hanging out or working there is doing so by choice. (What might bother me most about smoking bans is how many people support them simply because they're happy their clothes don't smell like smoke after they go out drinking -- as if that's a sound basis for laws.)
  20. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

I have the same issues with seat belt laws, texting laws etc. Police are already overburdened... why create more paperwork, and other work for them.

Let police do their job, the next step will be intervening in homes where parents make the crappy choice of smoking on the presence of their kids...

More laws are seldom the answer.... when is the last time you heard of anyone cited for texting while driving?? This is just another feel good law that will not be enforced..