Welcome to PatsFans.com

KSM and 4 others to face trials in NYC Civilian Courts.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patriot_in_NY, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

What could go wrong? :rolleyes:

I can't believe this hasn't been posted yet.

Looks like we're headed back to the "Law Enforcement" model for terrorism like we did in the 1990's. It worked so well back then, right?

Good luck to "the One" should KSM get off on a technicality. I imagine the collective anger at that will be fairly high.
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +241 / 8 / -26

You mean the constitutional model???
  3. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

The attacks on Sept. 11 was an act of war, committed by a transnational terrorist group aligned with, and protected by the Taliban, which was a regime that was recognized as a government by three nations who are sitting members of the UN.

KSM and co. should not get the full protection of American criminal system.

Course, as they are outside the command and structure of a uniformed military, they shouldn't be afford the full protection of the laws of war either. This is a sui generis situation that nobody could have planned for, but there certainly is a need to deal with these type of transnational terrorists. Certainly not within the criminal court system, and probably a system much closer to the military one. The civilian courts and law enforcement agencies are not equipped to handle the complexities of the international scope of these events.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +488 / 2 / -9

I was going to post it this morning but I knew what the reaction would be, when I post this stuff they blame me for putting it in the newspaper, the left wing always goes after the messenger (Fox News)
  5. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

To try these people in a military court validates them, it raises they're stature as more than just religious fanatics.

By trying them in a civilian court in the city they are most famous for attacking sends a message that we are not afraid.

This whole absurd idea that we can't allow terrorists into this country to be triad, or imprisioned just gives them what they were try to achieve in the first place, that they can scare and manipulate us.
  6. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +488 / 2 / -9

You said the word "religious" thats racist unless you mean "christian"
  7. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Translation: I got nothing :confused2:

Classic....... I forgot more then you'll ever know, but I don't have the time or energy...... Whatever then.

I'd love to have SOMEONE ELSE that has a little more energy to go into how this decision to try KSM in the civilian courts is good for the country. How the Law Enforcement model (which this move represents) used from 1992-2001, is superior to the military/CIA based one we used from 2001-now.

Should be an interesting discussion should anyone with the time or inclination choose to discuss it.
  8. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

That doesn't make sense. First, bringing them here for trail is a HUGE security risk. I don't think it has anything to do with "making some kind of political statement". How is it that KSM, who masterminded what amounts to an act of war against this country, becomes eligible for our civil protections afforded in our court system. War criminals need to be tried in a military setting. This is not just some guy that killed a bunch of people. The Pentagon was attacked, which makes this an act of war, not a crime.

Which of course is besides the main point of switching back to the Law Enforcement model from a military model.

**ADDED**

Keep in mind, we're not totally going that way as it appears (from the article) that Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri (USS Cole bomber) is going to be tried under a military commission. Not sure what the purpose of the "hybrid" approach is, beyond the speculative "better case" approach. This inconsistency is worse then all one, or the other IMO.
  9. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I don't really agree with this decision, IMO you try these guys in a military court, and if there is sufficient evidence presented you execute them. Done and done. Why move guys captured on foreign soil to the US court system? There may be a good legal justification for it, but I do not know what it is. I mean, what do the feds plan to do if he's found innocent on a technicality, release him? Does anyone think that would actually happen? No way do they let this guy free again while he breathes, which to me makes this whole trial process a sham. And if its not a sham and they'd actually consider setting him free, well, that's a possibility I just can't even consider.
  10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +241 / 8 / -26

A quick and dirty look of the news indicates that the details have not yet been disclosed, so may want to wait for what Holder has to say...
  11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +374 / 4 / -2

I'm going to wait until more details are available, but on the surface, these animals should not be tried in a civilian court.
  12. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +488 / 2 / -9

God Jesus, we can only hope and pray that nobody offends them.
  13. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +474 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

14. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think they should just let the guy go free. They should announce the specific time and place, say 2 in the morning in Central Park, and let the good citizens of New York do what they feel is best.
  15. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

I think to role model our system of jurisprudence is important to getting the facts out to the world and establishing the barbarism of the enemy. If the trial took place in a military court, it would have less legitimacy in the eys of the world, and that's important to our ability to discredit our enemies claims about us.

Obviously, the government feels it has a strong case. As Ms.Patsfans link says,

"If the government has sufficient admissible evidence to prevail in federal court, then the case goes to a federal court. If the evidence admissible in federal court is insufficient to obtain a conviction, then the detainee goes to a military commission. If there is insufficient evidence for either a commission or a court, then the detainee potentially will go to a National Security Court, or must challenge his detention via habeas [corpus] and establish that he is, in fact, being held illegally."

There will be vastly greater transparency in this type of trial than a military trial, and I think that's good for the families of victims, for our foreign policy, and for the American public in that bogus conspiracy theories, etc. will probably be debunked. In the highly unlikely event, a jury finds him innocent, I feel certain that the government, through the Patriot Act or Homeland Security Act, will have recourse.
  16. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I know you think you know what's better for the families of victims than they themselves do, but let me assure you that from everything I am hearing they most certainly do not share your sentiment.

I do agree with one thing you say. If a jury found him not guilty (there's no such thing as being found innocent) then the government wouldn't exactly just let him walk away a free man like O.J. They would just bring him back to holding and come up with something else.

These men will never breathe free air again.
  17. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

Patters was doing what he should for the forum.

This idea of trying these prisoners as mere criminals is insane. They are enemy combatants not American citizens accused of theft or something. This is the sort of politically correct deadly nonsense the government specializes in. This is the sort of 'tolerance' that led to the Ft Hood massacre. We don't want to deal with the issue that there is a segment of Islamic groups that is at war with the Western world and wants to impose Sharia law worldwide. MAny want to pretend this is not real. It puts all of us in mortal danger.
  18. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +241 / 8 / -26

For the sense of civility and to avoid the rush to judgement... here is the press release... not sure if I agree or not... it has taken 8 years prior to this, and nothing was done...

POLITICO 44: Dealing with Cole, 9/11 suspects - POLITICO.com

19. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +241 / 8 / -26

IF he was doing what he should have been, don't you think State crossed the line...??? Or do you have your rightie blinders on...

Your intolerance comments and Ft. Hood, have no bearing on this... and make no sense..
  20. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Isn't fearmongering fun? Unfortunately what puts us in mortal danger from people like this is economic empire and its attendant necessary oppression. You know, the thing that got us into this mess in the first place?

Oooooh, mortal danger. Shivers.