PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Krafts want to own more teams, NFL to invade Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. As much as it has gained in popularity over across the pond, especially in the UK (Great Pats Fan Club there, and I have met several of them at one time or another) American football will never have a shot against those sports that you mentioned.

In fact, if they did put an NFL team in a couple of the major cities in Europe the bulk of the fans in the buildings would probably be American servicemen stationed nearby and their families.

IMO, if they did expand there, my guess is it would be a failure with teams giving away tickets just to get people into the seats.

I don't think the NFL is concerned as to who is filling their seats, whether they're American Soldiers or the locals, does it really matter? As long as the seats are filled my friend. I do agree that football would have a tough time against soccer, rugby and cricket, but I do think given enough time and proper planning it could be successful. Think about it, we have hockey, baseball, basketball and football as major sports here and there's no lack of attendance for nearly any of them (give or take a few teams). Why can't Europe add another sport?

Look, I'm not going to sit here and say that Goodell is doing an outstanding job, but what he is trying to do is understandable. Adding a team or two to Europe would bring in more revenue and at the end of the day any business is trying to do one thing and one thing only, increase cash flow. I believe it's only a matter of time before the NFL is in Europe, we're already playing games there and I'm pretty sure they've all been sold out or damn close to it.

Sure, its a business, but who takes it in the arse when all they think of is business and forget who pays the freight? Goodell needs to be axed. He couldnt give a rats arse about you, me or any fans at all. He is corporate bred and thats how his life has been. He doesnt know you and I exist, and he couldnt care less.

Why can't Europe add another sport?

Because other than the one game played in London each season, Europeans will not fill the stadiums as they do for the other sports. And even then, the majority of the fans in Wembley are Americans that flew over to support their home team.

It just wont happen.

Dumdums - environmentalists griped about concorde but it was FALLING OUT OF THE FREAKING SKY that pretty much sealed the deal for that one.

But aside from the falling out of the sky issue, the bigger problem is that air travel in general is an economically very difficult to sustain business. Its natural niche is what it was a long time ago -- something the rich did, the so-called "jet set." Fuel prices will probably return that paradigm within the next couple of decades.

But for moving football teams over an ocean? That would work. Hell, let England and Germany have a couple divisions, putz around among themselves, and send a couple teams over every year for a first-round smack-down. I could deal with it. For that matter, what's jet-lag for X games per year, if you have an extra week b/w games? Do the Europe games right before the bye week.

Last edited:
Dumdums - environmentalists griped about concorde but it was FALLING OUT OF THE FREAKING SKY that pretty much sealed the deal for that one.

But aside from the falling out of the sky issue, the bigger problem is that air travel in general is an economically very difficult to sustain business. Its natural niche is what it was a long time ago -- something the rich did, the so-called "jet set." Fuel prices will probably return that paradigm within the next couple of decades.

But for moving football teams over an ocean? That would work. Hell, let England and Germany have a couple divisions, putz around among themselves, and send a couple teams over every year for a first-round smack-down. I could deal with it. For that matter, what's jet-lag for X games per year, if you have an extra week b/w games? Do the Europe games right before the bye week.

Having their own divisions would defeat the purpose, IMO. It wouldnt be far removed from the WFL. Never gonna happen, or at least, it shouldnt. The time differential make sit difficult too, for American audiences.

Why did they stop NFL Europe? I liked watching it. It definitely wasn't the same as the regular NFL but it was still entertaining.

Why did they stop NFL Europe? I liked watching it. It definitely wasn't the same as the regular NFL but it was still entertaining.

Because the stadiums were 75% empty so they piled everyone that was there into the seats opposite the tv cameras. And tv viewership was minimal

Screw expanding. Football will never be big in Eurpoe. That's why they have that sport over there where players flop 24/7 like *****es

Last edited:
To make this a reality they would have to market NFL much harder than they are.

I don't know how it is in either Germany or The U.K., but here there is no exposure in the media at all. Well, there was an article about Tebow :bricks:, one pre-SB and then a score box on the SB result. They have regular broadcast of the matches on one channel, but other than that one channel there is nothing.

They would have to pump a lot more money into the German and U.K. markets to attempt this. And even then it's a pretty big chance it will fail.

IMO, at this point it's probably more money than it's worth.

I think the issue the NFL need to address is the the consistent support level for a new/transplanted team in Europe. I'm in Ireland and know a lot of avid NFL fans over here, but anyone who is really into it already supports a team. It's great to go along to the London game between a couple of random teams once a year, but if (say) the Rams were permenantly based there, would I go along to every home game? Not a chance - I'd go when the Pats where playing, and maybe one other game a year if a group of mates was going. I'd say a lot of people are like that - they won't suddenly switch support from the Pats to the Monarchs or whoever just because they're closer. So the NFL would be really be relying on support from the away team's local fans until the team was established enough to have its own local support base.
Maybe that's a question for those of you living in a city with an NFL team other than the Pats - do you go along regularly to games of your local team? Because that seems to be what the NFL think will happen over here. People here support their teams because of family ties, or from living there in the past, or because they're near their holiday golf resort (I'm looking at you, Miami) - as I said, the majority of these won't change just because another team is nearby. So using the attendance at the London game as a gauge of popularity for a London-based team is flawed.

The main reason it's a bad idea:

Do they expect fans of the sport who already follow teams to just drop them and start supporting the new teams?

Sorry Roger but I wouldn't stop supporting the Pats, especially for a London team.

You dont have to drop the team, pretty sad that you wouldnt want to support a local team. Im Opposite to you.

Why would I be a Jets fan?

I think the fact that you hold very strong opinions about football without even understanding many of football's most basic concepts is why he'd think you are a Jets fan. It's a pretty reasonable assumption considering the nature of most Jets fans.

Sure, its a business, but who takes it in the arse when all they think of is business and forget who pays the freight? Goodell needs to be axed. He couldnt give a rats arse about you, me or any fans at all. He is corporate bred and thats how his life has been. He doesnt know you and I exist, and he couldnt care less.

The new CBA is tied to this expansion.

Last edited:
I think the issue the NFL need to address is the the consistent support level for a new/transplanted team in Europe. I'm in Ireland and know a lot of avid NFL fans over here, but anyone who is really into it already supports a team. It's great to go along to the London game between a couple of random teams once a year, but if (say) the Rams were permenantly based there, would I go along to every home game? Not a chance - I'd go when the Pats where playing, and maybe one other game a year if a group of mates was going. I'd say a lot of people are like that - they won't suddenly switch support from the Pats to the Monarchs or whoever just because they're closer. So the NFL would be really be relying on support from the away team's local fans until the team was established enough to have its own local support base.
Maybe that's a question for those of you living in a city with an NFL team other than the Pats - do you go along regularly to games of your local team? Because that seems to be what the NFL think will happen over here. People here support their teams because of family ties, or from living there in the past, or because they're near their holiday golf resort (I'm looking at you, Miami) - as I said, the majority of these won't change just because another team is nearby. So using the attendance at the London game as a gauge of popularity for a London-based team is flawed.

The NFL is about loyalty. Glad to see youve got it.

I live where there is a different NFL team, but I dont support them and never will.

It fell out of the sky because it ran into debris that had fallen off a DC-10 on the runway during takeoff and a tire blew up. It was not due to any inherent safety risk of the plane itself. The Concorde was considered the safest plane in the world until the DC-10 caused that crash. It was used as an excuse to fool dum dums to bring its demise. I guess it worked.

Screw expanding. Football will never be big in Eurpoe. That's why they have that sport over there where players flop 24/7 like *****es

Hey! Leave basketball out of this...

Any NFL team in Europe would be an abysmal failure. No free agent would want to go there and every road trip would be hell. I have no idea if it would work financially but it just would not work competitively, period, end of discussion.

And before anyone says "free agents will go wherever the money is" that may be true but a European NFL team would have to significantly overpay each and every one they got, so unless you want separate salary cap rules for such a team, they just wouldn't have a chance.

Last edited:
Goodell is the worst commissioner in the history of the NFL. Sure, maybe he has brought in a lot of money, but coming from his family background as the son of a former United States Senator is all one needs to know as to where his priorities are, and they are not with the fans of the NFL.

Worst decision the owners ever made, letting that man be commissioner.
Your statement is silly. Goodell is light years ahead of Tagliabue. Bringing in money is kinda his job and you begrudgeingly admit that is something he is good at. Well if he's good at that, then he's a pretty decent commissioner.

If he's so horrible to the fans, then why is the NFL enjoying record popularity?

Just out of curiosity, what is your evidence to support this assertion? What precisely has Goodell done that makes you so certain he hates us so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back