Welcome to PatsFans.com

Kraft's Comments on Patriots Playoff Loss

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by robertweathers, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robertweathers

robertweathers Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I don't disagree with his observations but I was suprised by how candid and blunt he was in voicing his assessment of the team's performance.

I don't think he was being a Steinbrenner-type. He is passionate over the team and is clearly still emotional over the loss.

Kraft on what was missing in loss - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  2. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0

#75 Jersey

How much class can a owner have? He is the definition of what every fan in America would like there owner to be like.
  3. letekro

letekro Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The Matthew Slater thing was emblematic of the performance overall. They had their chances, but failed to execute at every key moment.
  4. PatsDeb

PatsDeb PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -1

Well, he signs the paychecks, and he didn't say anything that I (and probably most) don't agree with. I couldn't believe my eyes when Brady threw that INT. There is no way he could see where it was going, so he shouldn't have thrown it. The fake punt was unreal. Hadn't they seen the Jets try the exact same thing (with the exact same results) a few weeks previously!?

My one consolation is that everyone seems to be having a lousy time in Dallas because the city was unprepared for the weather (see how I can rationalize things?). So maybe it's good (HA-sarcasm) that the Pats aren't there.
  5. D-Money

D-Money Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The guy wants to win and is dissapointed.Cant blame him.I thought it was an awful loss.I do feel the slow start doomed this team.
  6. Lavictoire

Lavictoire Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Last year in the offseason whenever Kraft was asked about that playoff loss to the Ravens, Kraft would say how humiliated he was and never again, etc, etc.He practically said this will not keep happening and I think I was the only one who thought he was calling out Bill Bellichick. i know if I was the coach I'd be cringing and taking his comments personally.This seems to be the same thing again. He's calling out Bellichick. I don't know what the playoff breakdown is all about.
  7. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0

Disable Jersey

Reading Kraft's comments, several thoughts come to mind. Kraft sounds like the true fan at the core that he is, his most likeable aspect. As with last season's one and done debacle, Kraft's comments reflect some criticism of both the team's preparation and players' execution. While I think that criticism of the coaching and player execution is warranted, Kraft needs to look in a mirror and do his job - take concerted action with Roger Goodell. Spygate was in 2007 and the Patriots org was prohibited from commenting about it. Years later pre-Super Bowl we have the Commish suddenly raising the issue out of nowhere again. Whats up with that? DO SOMETHING Kraft; that's the job of the owner.
  8. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

Bob Kraft is saying what many of us have been saying all along. The loss was a bitter disappointment to all of us. But the Patriots lost the game, and the Jets were fortunate on that day.

I think he was too kind to the Jets. That's why he's the owner and we post on a message board.
  9. Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -1

Well, the game plan is kinda BB's responsibility, and it's become a pattern of losing when we most need to win.
  10. The Gr8est

The Gr8est Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If he really wants to win then he can grow a set and start fighting back against the Omissioner and the NFL's constant trashing of the Pats reputation.

Why don't you start by showing that you give a **** Bob?!
  11. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I think the Pats F.O. focuses particularly on the LAST playoff game of the season and what happened wrong in it and what was missing and goes out to improve on it in the offseason so it does not hopefully be a factor again.

If that is the case expect Kraft and Co. to grab an O Guard,a deep WR threat and a pass rusher

....BUT then again those positions were going to be needed BEFORE the Jets game even started :snob:
  12. RayClay

RayClay Rookie

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

100% Bingo. The jets had and executed a great game plan thanks to their corners. Still, that game plan required us not to go up by 10-14 points and they didn't prevent that, we did.

As a Belichick fan, you have to recognize a great defensive game plan, but it is the playoffs. You blow multiple opportunities and good teams will find a way to beat you.
  13. BoTown

BoTown Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I read an article on PFT talking about Kraft talking about the negotiations and how they should get rid of the lawyers in the discussions. Then I made the mistake of reading the comments. Always a few idiots with the "cheating" remarks. This will never end in my lifetime, which is too bad because it's painstakingly annoying.
  14. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

It Is What It Is -- Patriots owner Robert Kraft on Belichick/Goodell: ‘Tired of the whole subject’ -- weei.com -- Alex Speier

It's interesting to compare and contrast the reporting above to Ian Rapoport's not so thinly veiled sarcastic opinion on Kraft clarifying his comment:

BostonHerald.com --- Rap Sheet --- Patriots owner Robert Kraft answers what was missing from the playoffs: “I don’t know… a good game plan.” (Updated!)

15. DropKickFlutie

DropKickFlutie Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Kraft's comments have got me fired up.

1. The owner should take a stand and fight back against the Video Witch Hunt, instead of being a eunach and not responding to all these un-truths, thinking they will simply go away with time. This is on the owner.

2. The jab at Belichick by criticizing a bad game plan, is pretty rich given that the owner has generally spent the lowest NFL money on good coordinators for several years. He had that one year with Dom Capers only because he thought Belichick might be suspended, and aside from that he's basically relied on Belichick to do the jobs of 5 people at once. It's clear the team has a good game plan going into games, and once the game starts his coordinators are helpless to adjust if things go bad.
    Kraft may be a good owner, but if Belichick leaves this team is in huge trouble.
  16. The Gr8est

The Gr8est Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I fully agree that Kraft needs to aggressively defend the Pats, and I'd actually like to see him take the fight to the NFL. Screw this behind the scenes stuff, Goodell wants to publicly criticize the Pats, then Kraft should go after Goodell publicly.

Maybe ask the media why the Rats get favored treatment from the Omissioner for their transgressions. Point out that maybe there is no coincidence that the team that turned the Pats in for Spygate gets treated with kid gloves by the Omissioner. Ask if there is a perceived conflict of interest in the fact that the team that Goodell used to intern for, and whose former owner's company, Hess Oil, is providing employment for one of Goodell's brothers, seem to be treated to a different standard after committing rules violations and blatant cheating. Ask if the Pats will be allowed to investigate and punish themselves as the Rats were allowed to do, next time they are accused of a violation. Ask why the Broncos got a slap on the wrist for doing what the Pats had already been severely punished for.

As for the assistant coach issue, how do you know that that isn't what BB wants? I'm sure he doesn't like losing assistants to other teams, but how do you know that Kraft is not allowing him to replace them?
  17. VinnyPatrollie

VinnyPatrollie Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#26 Jersey

Point 1. + a baziilion. It's time to give us fans relief from all the Spygate speculation and rival bullspit. I'm tired of hearing the Pats wouldn't have cheated if it didn't benefit them, so therefor all the SB wins are illegit. I want Bill to stand up and say...This is what we did, and this is why we did it, and this is what the other guys do. Show the public the difference between the view of the coaches from the sideline vs. the legal location. Big whoop-dee-do.

Point 2. It's true that Bill does the job of 5 people but only because he's a control freak. When he leaves, Kraft will pay for coordinators. Where the team is cheap, is payroll. Look it up, they are generally in the bottom 1/4th of the league in total player payroll. I'd like to see that practice end and get a few FA studs in here.
  18. robertweathers

robertweathers Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Please explain to me how Krafts public jousting with Goodell will make Spygate go away.

1. BB is responsible for hiring coordinators and staff- not Kraft.
    2. The team did a great job of making 1/2 time adjustments all year long.
    3. The Capers hire was because he knows the 3-4 and how to generate a pass rush via blitzing (which didn't work because the 08 defense did not have the talent to execute.
  19. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Robert should be seen and not heard on football matters. He's not taken out of context, he's just better served limiting his interaction with the media to nodding and smiling. There is a good reason for one voice to represent this franchise on the field, and it isn't Bob's. If he wanted to be helpful as many here suggested he should be more vocal privately league related business and football matters.
  20. BPF

BPF Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I heard him on the Big Show today, he said he was taken out of context on the game plan quote, he meant the Jets had a good plan and it worked not that the Pats didn't have a good one.
  21. robertweathers

robertweathers Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

What Kraft said reminded me when Felger and a fired-up Jonathan went at it on air a few years ago about the salary cap. As it pertained to Asante, JK said (paraphrasing), "We would have won if he caught the ball and we are going to give him the deal he wanted?".

It's just like politicians who comment on sports- they shouldn't as it portrays them as the fan Mazzarotti bashes on a daily basis.
  22. The Gr8est

The Gr8est Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well however Kraft has been handling it up to now hasn't worked out so well for the Pats.
  23. Ron Sellers

Ron Sellers Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Please help me out with that statement. I consider "the Pats are cheap" line to be one of those internet myths that has been repeated so often that people assume it to be true - but has no basis in fact.

Hopefully you're not basing that statement on Shaughnessy's recent column; if so you may want to check this out:
    Fun With NFL Payrolls and Draft "Value" | Boston Sports Media Watch
    Shaughnessy Column Corrected | Boston Sports Media Watch

Pats spend to the cap limit minus a small amount in case they need to replace an injured player pretty much every year. This past year their payroll was reportedly the NFL's highest according to National Football Post. Take what people with an agenda or an axe to grind (reporters like Shaughnessy, fans of opposing teams) have to say with a very large grain of salt.
  24. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

It's great. The owner is basically saying what his fans are saying without doublespeak or cover-up.

Saying that what was missing was "a game plan" is as brutal as any comment that's been made on this Board about the loss.

Kraft rocks.
  25. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0

#75 Jersey

I agree Pfs74. I appreciate his honesty. I love it when they keep it real as they say.
  26. MoLewisrocks

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

When owners start thinking or talking like message board fans it's generally detrimental to their franchise. Kraft has gotten exactly what he bargained for - a consistently competitive team for a decade and counting - and three little bonuses he and the rest of this fanbase hardly dared to dream of when he bought Shaeffer Stadium back in the day... His 1/32nd of the NFL under the direction of Belichick and Brady has gone to 4 of the last 10 superbowls.
  27. dhamz

dhamz Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

It won't. It would do the opposite.
  28. MoLewisrocks

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Exactly. Public venting or posturing is just inflamatory rhetoric that feeds beasts. Same as Krafts bizarro banging of the anti lawyer drum incessantly yesterday. Way to alienate the guy you have to negotiate with, Lawyer DeMaurice Smith... Businessmen hammered out the last deal and it lasted all of two years, Robert...and led to where we sit today... Business men on both sides to a great extent are screwing up the whole product by viewing it as little more than that. A perfect example is the bs line about fans wanting an 18 game schedule and/or not wanting a preseason. Fact is fans don't want more games, season ticket holders just don't want to pay regular season prices to watch what are largely scrimmages and they won't be any happier paying full price to watch teams tanking at the end of an expanded season because they've locked in their playoff spot and need to rest starters wholesale for the playoffs or opponents will have fallen so far off the pace guys will already be getting a jump on off season surgeries...

The businessmen in suits gave the businessmen in pads too much to avoid a work stoppage that scared the **** out of them in 2006 because they had been so absorbed with fighting each other they weren't prepared to deal from a historic position of strength. Lawyers had nothing to do with that debaucle. Face that and do what you have to to get back to a sustainable revenue model without having to bs everyone about how just growing the pie ever larger will fix everything...lest you totally ruin the game in the growth process.
  29. robertweathers

robertweathers Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Yep. Reading between the lines he has no use for DeMaurice. Seems he would have preferred that Troy Vincent or Trace Armstrong had landed the gig.
  30. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

As a general point I agree that Kraft should reserve most of his opinions, public or private, for things like the CBA negotiation, where he can play a big role...otherwise we end up with Dan Snyder. :) But at a once a year event like Kraft's own Presser after Goodell's "State of the NFL" press conference? I'm OK with his speaking like a fan there.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.