PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft to speak at 1PM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since it has been stated in the past Kraft has almost no recouse people on here were looking for Kraft to sue the nfl and owners? Just like Sterling and David did? Just wondering how far fans expected Kraft to take this.
Easy answer. I expected him at the very least to take it through the process of the appeal and show it to be a farce.

Bob Kraft's capitulation speech.

32735-cowardly_lion.jpg

I think the collective Message Board may be over-reacting a bit. I've gotta think there's a quid pro quo involved...and that Kraft has no compelling reason to get in front of the cameras otherwise. The chronology of events could be as follows:

Last 2 weeks: the brouhaha we're all familiar with...
This week: NFL meetings in Orlando
Today: Kraft and Goodell make peace
Today: Kraft announces, after careful consideration, he will not sue the League
Today and tomorrow: media swarming all over the subject, offering all sorts of opinions from "guilty as charged" to classy move
Later this week: Goodell announces a more lenient punishment for both the Patriots and Brady (doesn't he only have 10 days from the day Brady appealed?) whereby he acknowledges the continued leadership of Kraft while showing himself to be a "bigger man"...able to recognize the punishment may not have been fairly applied and even crediting Kraft's remarks of today in his decision-making process on the appeal.

Note: this doesn't necessarily change Brady's strategy...I'm guessing...unless he is fully exonerated.
But, but, that would mean the appeal process is rigged. Tell me it ain't so.

I've said all I'd like to say about this. You don't think Kraft has affected Brady's case at all and I would be upset with him if I were Brady's lawyer...I'm not his lawyer so it doesn't matter. I stand by what I said though. If you weaken part of the case, you weaken the entire case.

Also, what is filed in his NFL appeal, will not be what is filed if he takes it to court. It will be a labor dispute case.

That makes no sense. Brady is a different animal than the Patriots. That is not in dispute.
So a judge/third party is going to say "hey, the Patriots begrudgingly accepted it, you should too. Sure, the contractual law is utterly different, however, the law of 'they did so you do it too' is fully in place".
It's an implausible argument. A judge/third party will stand on contracts and law that applies to a player and the league(by extension the Patriots themselves), period. Bob Kraft can jump in a lake hollering 'screw Brady' and it will not change that fact.

Further, if a labor dispute is all the recourse Brady has, he should give up right after the Goody farce appeal. Hey, Tom can be labeled a cheater but spends a lot of resource and drags it on for someone to say 'you are only a 2 game or 1 game suspension type cheater, not a 4 game'. Ahhh victory!

The NFLPA filing clearly shows one fight is about actual guilt. Kraft saying repeatedly 'I don't agree with the assignment of guilty but my contractual obligation requires me to take it' is of no import on the matter, none. And any belief that after the appeal Brady must give up the assignment of guilt is your own opinion -- one I do not believe will be the case regardless of what law or contract wording his legal team uses to get this thing on front of a judge/third party.

Easy answer. I expected him at the very least to take it through the process of the appeal and show it to be a farce.

Not that easy, anything less than Kraft suing the leauge was going upset the fans. Unfortunately for much of the fans on here there was no chance Kraft was going to turn into those nut jobs sterling and Davis.

Last edited:
I think it should go more along the lines of, "Bob, I want to be released from my contract."

I wish Kraft would have just set aside any decision then threw support behind Brady. He didn't and I don't like it one bit. But I disagree with the belief that Brady would want out or is fuming mad at Kraft. . Look, you feel and think what you think is right but is just isn't pragmatic. Brady is a Patriot. He likes being a Patriot, he likes BB, and I bet he continues to like Kraft. Further, I'd be very surprised if Kraft didn't talk with Brady before the PC.
Despite many on hear strongly feeling Kraft just made Brady's avenue of justice all but impossible, Kraft did not change the landscape for Brady. If he had said 'we are guilty and I accept the punishment' I would entirely agree. However, Kraft did not even hint at that. He said he does not agree repeatedly but the contract/agreement the league has with its members makes this his only viable decision'. How does that change the landscape for a player who has nothing whatsoever to do with the contracts the league and teams have? Brady has different contracts with different words in it and different avenues for dispute.

Why would he even want to be in this league with this kind of BS. He is a 73 year old billionaire : he doesn't need money. Obviously he doesn't need self respect either.

He doesn't take the hit. The team takes the hit for two picks and WORSE, the (soon to be much smaller) FANBASE takes the f@@@ing hit.

yeah, I understand that, and probably agree, but the reality of it is there probably much he could do about it.
I don't think he has much of a legal avenue as an owner --- there are no unions or labor laws protecting him.

he's not going to federal court to file an antitrust suit against the league over a draft pick.
it sux, but what was he supposed to do?

I wish Kraft would have just set aside any decision then threw support behind Brady. He didn't and I don't like it one bit. But I disagree with the belief that Brady would want out or is fuming mad at Kraft. . Look, you feel and think what you think is right but is just isn't pragmatic. Brady is a Patriot. He likes being a Patriot, he likes BB, and I bet he continues to like Kraft. Further, I'd be very surprised if Kraft didn't talk with Brady before the PC.
Despite many on hear strongly feeling Kraft just made Brady's avenue of justice all but impossible, Kraft did not change the landscape for Brady. If he had said 'we are guilty and I accept the punishment' I would entirely agree. However, Kraft did not even hint at that. He said he does not agree repeatedly but the contract/agreement the league has with its members makes this his only viable decision'. How does that change the landscape for a player who has nothing whatsoever to do with the contracts the league and teams have? Brady has different contracts with different words in it and different avenues for dispute.
We'll see.

yeah, I understand that, and probably agree, but the reality of it is there probably much he could do about it.
I don't think he has much of a legal avenue as an owner --- there are no unions or labor laws protecting him.

he's not going to federal court to file an antitrust suit against the league over a draft pick.
Yes, he clearly had only two options, publicly announce he would take the punishment with no fight or sue over anti-trust.

Oh wait, no those were not his only options at all and that's merely the well known logical fallacy of false dichotomy. He had many options up to and including not publicly humiliating his players, and appealing.

I can't even bear to read through these pages. So he just accepted everything?

Yup, all 31 owners lined up with their flies down, with Goodell at the front of the line.. and just ran the train on Kraft 1 after the other while he said "Thank you sir, may I have another"

No, I don't accept that at all.

There are two scenarios here: either they did something wrong or they didn't.

In the first circumstance, there are degrees of rule-breaking - was it just those two guys? Was Brady involved? Etc.

If you're not going to fight, then ADMIT guilt (because you just did anyway).

If you aren't guilty, then fight as far as you can - and I don't care if it means a harsher penalty. I really don't. Principle has to matter, or you're nothing.

Anyone think this is going away? Anyone thinks we won't hear the catcalls and the whole thing all over again at the draft next year? Or the year after, in round 4?

I won't hear it because I won't be watching. Nor will I go back to Gillette (I've been to 2 Superbowls on the "team" package, which is hugely expensive, by the way. Nope, not another dime. Ever. Won't watch a movie at Patriot's place if that's the only place it's showing.

if you did it, admit it. If you didn't do it, then fight. Some things matter more than efficiency and the almighty dollar.

Come on folks, think this through. A team and a player are two distinct entities. A player is a member of the NFLPA, a team is a member of the conference that just took place in SF.

So the 32 get together. At the get together Kraft says I'll fall on the sword my emperor! So the Emperor calls up Brady and they magically reach a deal? Brady just rolls over for a game or too reduction?
Remember this, the NFLPA is now involved. A phone call to clear this up with everyone isn't in the cards. The appeal is happening and is being heard by Goodell. Remember, unlike Kraft's options, Brady has filed a formal appeal that he is innocent. It isn't over until at minimum that is heard and I would be shocked if it ends there. Hell, never even mind Brady, the NFLPA must be seeing that Goodell is reasserting he will be punishment decider and hear the appeals too, and understand this can't be just meekly accepted.
Then I have a solution. Have the league fine the other 31 teams a 1st and 4th round pick just because based on a trumped up charge (it's been established that no evidence is necessary). Then play the season.

Unbelievably disappointed doesn't even begin to describe how i feel

Last edited:
Then I have a solution. Have the league fine the other 31 teams a 1st and 4th round pick just because based on a trumped up charge (it's been established that no evidence is necessary). Then play the season.

Oddly enough it appears the league office can do that without consequence. The only recourse for the 32 teams is fire Goodell and hire someone else who will change that decision. ((side note: I'd like to think this mess has caused the owners to at least consider changes to their collective contract -- something that has a formal and INDEPENDENT arbitrator be involved in disputes).

But fining all other 31 teams remains nothing whatsoever to do with the players. That is a different animal altogether. And like the side note above, I'd like to think the players are thinking 'JHC! We can be found guilty on a sham, biased investigation with only Rog to hear an appeal of it' and consider fighting for new language in the next CBA that requires an outside arbitrator for not only punishment but guilt appeals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes