PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft stepped in to keep Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nick Cafardo said:
Team sources said Patriots owner Robert Kraft, after the departures of Willie McGinest and Adam Vinatieri, stepped into the negotiations to help retain the 34-year-old Brown. Kraft has allowed Bill Belichick and Scott Pioli to run the business side of football, but with the losses of two of his favorites, Kraft wanted Brown to know the Patriots cared about keeping him.
-----
Brown was courted by new Jets coach Eric Mangini, who as the the Patriots' secondary coach converted Brown to defensive back two seasons ago. Mangini and Brown have a strong bond, but Brown, who declined an offer from the New Orleans Saints last season despite the lure of more playing time and money, will likely retire a Patriot.
-----
With the Jets tugging at Brown, perhaps to assume the vacated role of retired Wayne Chrebet, the allure was tempting not only because of Mangini but because of old friend Curtis Martin. But Brown had promised his family he'd stay with the Patriots or retire.
I suggest remedial reading for those who thought Kraft 'interfered' with the football operations to bring back a favorite. BB/SP used their trump card of Mr. Kraft's personal relationship with Troy to take Mangini's ace.

Patters, your my hero of the day! :cool:

I expect this "intervention" story is just the Kraft PR machine in motion.

Basically BB is letting Kraft take credit for a heartstring signing that shows him asserting some control, to resign a guy at the veteran minimum to fill a 4th or 5th WR position that BB probably would have signed anyway

This way Kraft stays out of the big $ issues and is perceived to have "pushed" BB to sign someone at the veteran minimum - which isn't that huge an accomplishment

I have no doubt that Kraft/ BB & SP were all on the same page on this. If Kraft trumped BB, you would see a new coach here within about 1 week. BB would walk out were that to be the case.

This owner/GM/HC relationship is as good as it gets and has been the most successful ever. Look for many more years and championships to follow!!

Anyone notice that Cafardo misleads/lies to you in his article?

Nick Cafardo said:
Brown didn't want to leave the Patriots with the lasting images of a muffed punt he incurred in the Patriots' 27-13 loss to the Denver Broncos in the divisional playoff round last January. Brown was cut because his cap number was too high, with the thought he could return if the price was right.

Hey NICK, Brown wasn't cut this year. His contract was up. If you were talking about LAST year, then you need to say so.

EDIT: Nice catch Dhamz. Glad I am not the only one who caught it.

Last edited:
1. Not sure if I believe it.

2. He who has the gold makes the rules. End of story.

1. Not sure if I believe it.

If it is true...
2. He who has the gold makes the rules.

If it is true, I wished he also stepped in on the Adam V. situation. :bricks:

DaBruinz said:
Anyone notice that Cafardo misleads/lies to you in his article?

Hey NICK, Brown wasn't cut this year. His contract was up. If you were talking about LAST year, then you need to say so.

EDIT: Nice catch Dhamz. Glad I am not the only one who caught it.

Damn, beat me to it! I said the same thing to myself when I read that this afternoon.

According to Glen Ordway on WEEI, Cafardo wrote a very misleading story.

Kraft "stepped in" to help arrange some marketing and promotional work for Troy to help him cash in on his popularity>

Kraft did not need to swoop in to convince BB that he shouldn't let another beloved player leave - yet that's the way Cafardo makes it seem.

So with Troy balancing playing for the veteran minimum or retireing, Kraft comes in to sweeten the pot a little with promotional income for Troy.

Globe really is a disgrace

JoeSixPat said:
According to Glen Ordway on WEEI, Cafardo wrote a very misleading story.

Kraft "stepped in" to help arrange some marketing and promotional work for Troy to help him cash in on his popularity>

Kraft did not need to swoop in to convince BB that he shouldn't let another beloved player leave - yet that's the way Cafardo makes it seem.

So with Troy balancing playing for the veteran minimum or retireing, Kraft comes in to sweeten the pot a little with promotional income for Troy.

We have mentioned this before, but it really is incomprehensible that a leading newspaper such as the Globe continues to allow uninformed and downright nasty writers with agendas of their own to continue to spew their venom when it comes to Patriots coverage. Cafardo has been a joke ever since Grier and Bledsoe left town, leaving him with no sources - it really shows. Borges continues to try to discredit any and all BB accomplishments and his disdain for all things Patriots is obvious. I actually thought his writing about the CBA was excellent, which further proves the point that he is totally biased against the Patriots.

Mike Reiss is awesome and I have nothing against Jerome Solomon, I hope Cafardo and Borges do not poison them.

Once again I write SHAME on you Boston Globe..

The real story is that Cafardo indicates he has a "team source". If I was that guy I'd be looking for another job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back