PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft says he handicapped Pete in NE

Status
Not open for further replies.

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/kraft-admits-he-handicapped-carroll-new-england

"I think coming off the situation I had been in," Kraft said Tuesday, "although I had a great coach [in Parcells], I believed in more checks and balances like my other businesses, and I think I probably handicapped Pete from doing as good a job as he could've done because I was coming off a situation that I was reacting to."

I wonder what Parcells thinks about hearing Kraft say that about his successor...

Parcells should feel guilty, but he probably doesn't.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
I think it's pretty widely known that in his early years Bob Kraft was (admittedly) too "Jerry Jones" about his ownership role and did not allow his head coaches to "pick the groceries" like they wanted to. He started being more hands-off with BB and look at the success it brought him!

There's a common thread through 99% of athletic champions: They have to fail before they succeed. Brady is the outlier, winning as a rookie, but Kraft had to go through two stints with good coaches without winning before finding a situation that worked. Belichick had to fail in Cleveland, Carroll had to fail in New England. You learn a lot more from losing than you do from winning.

I was always a Carroll fan and remain one. The team declined each year under his tenure but look at the drafts he was given.

And even a player like Robert Edwards, who looked amazing in his rookie season, ended up blowing his knee up in the ****ing sand.

The media was in full-on rabid mode at the time, pushing the narrative that Kraft was an interfering owner (including the stupid "timing Tebucky Jones with a stop watch" Dan S. said as satire or whatever that is repeated as fact by idiots to this day) and that Carroll was too nice to be a winner.

The problem during Carroll's tenure was Bobby Grier. Both with his **** drafts and undermining Carroll when he'd try to discipline - especially Terry Glenn.

I still remember that 97 defense which was on a pace, at one point, to set the sack record. And I still hate Todd Collins for holding back on Kordell Stewart's sideline scramble...

I think it's pretty widely known that in his early years Bob Kraft was (admittedly) too "Jerry Jones" about his ownership role and did not allow his head coaches to "pick the groceries" like they wanted to. He started being more hands-off with BB and look at the success it brought him!

I believe that was part of the deal when BB took the job. He'd have been a fool had he not insisted on it.

I think that had a lot to do with the way BB presented himself and the way it resonated with Mr Kraft.

He wasn't just a designer of plays and a teacher, but he was someone who could articulate what was going on in the way that a businessman could appreciate. Partly his economics background but mostly his very objective, analytical attitude towards the job.

I'm sure that Mr Kraft knew by then that he'd have to give his coach more autonomy. BB convinced him that it was OK to do it.

Bob was a lot less like Jerry Jones than believed. It's not like HE believed he knew better, rather than believing in a group of experts that he had hired to do the job he directed them to do. He had a GM to find the players and he THOUGHT he had a HC to lead those players. It didn't turn out that way. It was never Kraft telling anyone to pick his guy as opposed to the one they scouted

Parcells was just a spoiled child to took his ball to the Jets when he didn't get his way. Carroll paid a price for that behavior. BTW- the mediot parasites who had kissed Parcell's sweaty balls for 5 years, did their level best to run Carroll out of town, just like they did tried with BB at first. for the simple crime of not being entertaining and making their jobs easier. To this day if those pukes got to pick our HC, Rex Ryan would get the job, 9 times out of 10. :rolleyes:

Where Bob had to learn HIS lesson was at the contract table where in the late 90's he fell in love with some of his players. BB cured him of that pretty much.

Players, even players who liked Pete, have said he was in over his head. Yeah, Kraft and Grier were probably major issues for Carroll, but Carroll wasn't ready for the job, yet, either. He'd already failed in New York, too, so it's not as if this was all about the Carroll being the lone warrior against a tide of suck.

when kraft bought the team, initially he was losing tons of money

he wanted parcells to go offense in 96 draft, not because he thought that would help the team the best, but because he though offense brought in profits, as all he cares about is bottom line profit. he shouldnt hae interfered at all with the draft, and just let parcells go defense, which would have helped the team best, but if he was going to meddle, he should have done it weeks before the draft, not minutes before the patriots were about to draft on draft day, in a move used to embarrass and humiliate parcells, kraft is a scumbag through and through

to saying how much he cares about his wife and making the whole 2011 season about her, having her intials on the jerseys etc, to her dying then days later hes with some other chick

to not publically backing his coach/qb right away when deflategate came out, the backing them as soon as he realized the NFL had no proof and thus backing them would have no negative repurcussions on HIM

Bye, Bethel. Too bad you've not recovered yet (or learned how to spell).

The problem during Carroll's tenure was Bobby Grier. Both with his **** drafts and undermining Carroll when he'd try to discipline - especially Terry Glenn.

I still remember that 97 defense which was on a pace, at one point, to set the sack record. And I still hate Todd Collins for holding back on Kordell Stewart's sideline scramble...

I wasn't a Pumped & Jacked fan then (or now), but these 2 points are spot-on. Booby Grier's drafts
were garbage right from the start (Chris Can'tHe, the slow dwarf), then the existing talent eroded
enough to expose the non-existent depth created from them.

And I too will never forget the sight of Todd Collins allowing Slash to run past him, down the sidelines
for PitsDirt's only feckin TD of the game.

Bj. I don't care if you dislike Kraft, disagree with the way he handles the team etc.You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

But until you've lost a life partner I really don't think your the person to judge Kraft and the relationships he chooses to have. It might be me but I just find it in poor taste unless you've walked in their shoes.

to saying how much he cares about his wife and making the whole 2011 season about her, having her intials on the jerseys etc, to her dying then days later hes with some other chick

Hey -

Shut up.

There's a common thread through 99% of athletic champions: They have to fail before they succeed. Brady is the outlier, winning as a rookie, but Kraft had to go through two stints with good coaches without winning before finding a situation that worked. Belichick had to fail in Cleveland, Carroll had to fail in New England. You learn a lot more from losing than you do from winning.

If that's the case the Rats should be the largest repository of knowledge in the universe.

I think both Kraft and Pete as well as BB are much smarter now than they were their first day on the job. They have all learned and grown and matured and changed and gotten better. No matter how old you are, you can always learn and improve and grow.

I wasn't a Pumped & Jacked fan then (or now), but these 2 points are spot-on. Booby Grier's drafts
were garbage right from the start (Chris Can'tHe, the slow dwarf), then the existing talent eroded
enough to expose the non-existent depth created from them.

And I too will never forget the sight of Todd Collins allowing Slash to run past him, down the sidelines
for PitsDirt's only feckin TD of the game.

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/04/20/s...-with-jets-picks-patriots-draft-superbly.html

With the abundance of picks -- 10 in the seven rounds -- and because their player personnel director, Bobby Grier, is one of the best talent evaluators in the business, the Patriots had the best draft of any team this year,

----
*laugh track sound*

Wouldn't let him put an Adderall dispenser in the locker room.

;)

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/04/20/s...-with-jets-picks-patriots-draft-superbly.html

With the abundance of picks -- 10 in the seven rounds -- and because their player personnel director, Bobby Grier, is one of the best talent evaluators in the business, the Patriots had the best draft of any team this year,

----
*laugh track sound*

Man, what a mess of a draft. Spires wasn't bad, Edwards was going to be damn good but got shafted by bad luck. Tebucky - not bad (once the figured out the best role for him). Otherwise - absolute waste of picks.

Although, the idea of no Roberts, no Jones, but the thought of Charles Woodson lining up opposite of Ty Law ... damn ... so close.

Reactions: sb1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing