PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft Quotes Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends which thermometer you used :)

So 2 things:
- If this is important, why don't the gauges match each other league-wide?
- If this is important, why didn't the ref write down anything about his observations?
- Finally, if this is supposed to be a "fact finding" report, what "fact" - other than the pre-arrived conclusion - supports flipping the only testimony you actually have on which gauge the official was using, the official's own testimony on the subject?

I half expect Walt Anderson to appear in a press conference defending the Wells "Report," blinking "torture" in morse code.

Because the conclusion came first then the fact finding, or fact manipulation came later.

To your first part, I don't agree, because in the leagues eyes, its not psi that is important, its a scheme to violate rules to gain an advantage. And I get that. Had the Patriots actually developed a scheme to get balls down to 11 psi because Brady felt he threw a ball below spec psi better than one at the requirement, and they manipulated the system to trick the ref into approving the ball the snuck off and deflated it, they woul deserve the penalties they got. Of course the problem is they didn't do that.

Because the conclusion came first then the fact finding, or fact manipulation came later.

We do not disagree on this.
We do not disagree that there is no proof of the accusation - there is proof neither of a specific instance nor of a systematic effort.

To your first part, I don't agree, because in the leagues eyes, its not psi that is important, its a scheme to violate rules to gain an advantage.

I think you mean where I said, tongue in cheek, that it depends on what "thermometer" you use, extending your temperature argument. They have in effect proven that if you take a ball in from a 50 degree field and put it in a 70 degree room, it will, with time, end up at room temperature. And that's it. Until you flip the gauges.

Then the narrative they used, via unsupported "Oh we flipped the gauges," becomes:
(1) The Colts' balls didn't behave that way, and
(2) The balls behaved in a way the ideal gas law did not explain.

This in turn is used to bootstrap their way to "more probably than not" creating a competitive advantage through a systematic effort.

And I get that. Had the Patriots actually developed a scheme to get balls down to 11 psi because Brady felt he threw a ball below spec psi better than one at the requirement, and they manipulated the system to trick the ref into approving the ball the snuck off and deflated it, they woul deserve the penalties they got. Of course the problem is they didn't do that.

I strongly agree that it does not look like they did that. I strongly agree that the NFL* was trying very hard to prove their "point," and that it was a fault-finding mission rather than a fact-finding mission.

However, I disagree w/everyone saying they know nothing happened. It sure looks like nothing of the sort happened, just like it sure looks like we know what's happening in the pile when there's a fumble...

This is sort of important. Another important piece is that this rule was completely unimportant before the Pats-Clots game - to everybody in the NFL*. We have the football-heaters on the sidelines. We have Aaron Rodgers talking about how he wants the balls rock-hard. We have the texts between J. and M. saying an official went rogue and pumped 'em up to 16 PSI. None of that's important enough to follow up if we're to believe the NFL*. Once again, shades of Danny Aiello c 2006: "That's football."

Here's why that's important: There will be another rule that only the Pats have to follow. The rulebook is now a weapon, because it is applied selectively.

Any infraction - even as in this case, an unproven accusation of an infraction - can be trumped up into a "systematic effort" by the Pats.

NFLPA has the bridge here to player personnel issues which also involve capricious/arbitrary punishment, leaks to media as part of the process, etc.

To your first part, I don't agree, because in the leagues eyes, its not psi that is important, its a scheme to violate rules to gain an advantage. And I get that. Had the Patriots actually developed a scheme to get balls down to 11 psi because Brady felt he threw a ball below spec psi better than one at the requirement, and they manipulated the system to trick the ref into approving the ball the snuck off and deflated it, they woul deserve the penalties they got. Of course the problem is they didn't do that.
This is simply ludicrous. Do you have any idea how small a difference one or 2 PSI actually is. It is virtually IMPERCEPTABLE. If it gained the Pats some kind of advantage, how come the experienced officials didn't notice the difference between the 2 sets of balls.

THAT is the travesty of this entire façade that the NFL has erected. Not only have they convicted the Pats and Brady on hearsay and conjecture, they have tried to sell the nation that dropping the PSI of some footballs one or 2 PSI creates this huge advantage to the team that does it, when nothing can be further from the truth.

The other thing that drives me nuts is that REAL cheating like pumping up the crowd noise, keeping or adding talent by manipulating the cap, and tampering is passed off by this commissioner as inconsequential or minor/ That is what makes this entire event so hypocritical, ridiculous, and unjust.

I have never been so sure that this is a league inspired conspiracy to drag the Pats down to the rest of the league's mediocrity. The consistency of the Pats success has been deemed by this commissioner as unhealthy to the league, and they won't be happy until the Pats streak of double digit seasons ends and ends soon. This kangaroo court they called the Welles report and the subsequent punishments only proves how far they will go to make it happen. How can any of us get fired up for a season when you KNOW the team is playing on such an uneven playing field, ESPECIALLY when the owner of the team refuses to fight or even acknowledge the gross injustice. .

Do you REALY think that if the league can produce this kind of "report", isn't capable of making sure the Pats get more than their share of "bad calls" from the refs, and the Pats players won't be under closer scrutiny than their opponents. Its not even the number of calls, but WHEN they happen that's important.

The NFL is hugely competitive, any team is capable of beating another under the best of circumstances. Well I'm here to tell you that THESE aren't going to be the best of circumstances this season and the next and the next until the Pats endure a few 8-8, 7-9 seasons It doesn't take much. Just look at how fast the falls of good teams like the Falcons and Texans. A few key injuries here and a few "bad calls"
there, and 12-4 teams can quickly become 4-12 teams. Maybe you QB is suspended 4 games. :eek:

Last edited:
This is simply ludicrous. Do you have any idea how small a difference one or 2 PSI actually is. It is virtually IMPERCEPTABLE. If it gained the Pats some kind of advantage, how come the experienced officials didn't notice the difference between the 2 sets of balls.
You are actually agreeing with me.
If the balls were deflated there would be no real advantage. That is not what the league is concerned with.
The league is concerned with an attempt to cheat, even if it provided no advantage. I would be too. Of course we know it didn't happen.

THAT is the travesty of this entire façade that the NFL has erected. Not only have they convicted the Pats and Brady on hearsay and conjecture, they have tried to sell the nation that dropping the PSI of some footballs one or 2 PSI creates this huge advantage to the team that does it, when nothing can be further from the truth.
Again, I don't think they have ever said that. There was no commentary whatsoever in the Wells report about obtaining an advantage.
The issue is with attempting to cheat, whether successful or not.

The other thing that drives me nuts is that REAL cheating like pumping up the crowd noise, keeping or adding talent by manipulating the cap, and tampering is passed off by this commissioner as inconsequential or minor/ That is what makes this entire event so hypocritical, ridiculous, and unjust.
I agree with that, but taking a step back, if the Patriots actually did what they are being accused of, and assuming Brady was central to it, that is Brady said he wants to cheat and use non-regulation footballs, and trick everyone to get there, I think the punishment would be justified.

I have never been so sure that this is a league inspired conspiracy to drag the Pats down to the rest of the league's mediocrity. The consistency of the Pats success has been deemed by this commissioner as unhealthy to the league, and they won't be happy until the Pats streak of double digit seasons ends and ends soon. This kangaroo court they called the Welles report and the subsequent punishments only proves how far they will go to make it happen. How can any of us get fired up for a season when you KNOW the team is playing on such an uneven playing field. Do you REALY think that if they league can produce this kind of "report", they aren't capable of making sure the Pats get more than the usual share of "bad calls" from the refs, and the Pats players won't be under closer scrutiny than their opponents.
You are entitled to that opinion, but if you really feel the league dictates who wins, then the Patriots success means less now.

The NFL is hugely competitive, any team is capable of beating another under the best of circumstances. Well I'm here to tell you that THESE aren't going to be the best of circumstances this season and the next and the next until the Pats endure a few 8-8, 7-9 seasons It doesn't take much. Just look at how fast the fast falls of good teams like the Falcons and Texans. I few key injuries here and a few "bad calls"
there, and 12-4 teams can quickly become 4-12 teams. Maybe you QB is suspended 4 games. :eek:
Why would the league cheat to hurt the Patriots? What is in it for them?
It's just a mishandled situation, not a conspiracy or vendetta.
Has Kraft possessed the stones to fight it, he could have disproven everything in the Wells report, and the punishment would have been abandoned. That is what Brady is about to do.

I have never been so sure that this is a league inspired conspiracy to drag the Pats down to the rest of the league's mediocrity. The consistency of the Pats success has been deemed by this commissioner as unhealthy to the league, and they won't be happy until the Pats streak of double digit seasons ends and ends soon. This kangaroo court they called the Welles report and the subsequent punishments only proves how far they will go to make it happen. How can any of us get fired up for a season when you KNOW the team is playing on such an uneven playing field, ESPECIALLY when the owner of the team refuses to fight or even acknowledge the gross injustice. .

Do you REALY think that if the league can produce this kind of "report", isn't capable of making sure the Pats get more than their share of "bad calls" from the refs, and the Pats players won't be under closer scrutiny than their opponents. Its not even the number of calls, but WHEN they happen that's important.

The NFL is hugely competitive, any team is capable of beating another under the best of circumstances. Well I'm here to tell you that THESE aren't going to be the best of circumstances this season and the next and the next until the Pats endure a few 8-8, 7-9 seasons It doesn't take much. Just look at how fast the falls of good teams like the Falcons and Texans. A few key injuries here and a few "bad calls"

I agree with everything that you've posted here, but don't have the will to comment on everything.

A couple of points though:

Regarding ing the Pats being under closer scrutiny, it is already happening as the NFL* created the rule to allow removing players from games, like Edelman in the Superbowl, since so many people felt he was concussed.

I DO worry about a bad season like the 4-12 that you mentioned with the distractions, suspensions, possible rash of game-changing question let calls, etc., that can cause a bad start to snowball into a lost season. While a team normally gets the benefit of a high pick when they have endured a rough season, the NFL* has done the it's best to ensure that if we are down, we'll stay down, by ensuring we won't be able to draft a difference maker to get us back on track.

I have never hated the NFL* more than I hate it now, and I haven't watched the Superbowl for years if the Pats aren't in it.

We do not disagree on this.
We do not disagree that there is no proof of the accusation - there is proof neither of a specific instance nor of a systematic effort.

I think you mean where I said, tongue in cheek, that it depends on what "thermometer" you use, extending your temperature argument. They have in effect proven that if you take a ball in from a 50 degree field and put it in a 70 degree room, it will, with time, end up at room temperature. And that's it. Until you flip the gauges.

Then the narrative they used, via unsupported "Oh we flipped the gauges," becomes:
(1) The Colts' balls didn't behave that way, and
(2) The balls behaved in a way the ideal gas law did not explain.

This in turn is used to bootstrap their way to "more probably than not" creating a competitive advantage through a systematic effort.

I strongly agree that it does not look like they did that. I strongly agree that the NFL* was trying very hard to prove their "point," and that it was a fault-finding mission rather than a fact-finding mission.

However, I disagree w/everyone saying they know nothing happened. It sure looks like nothing of the sort happened, just like it sure looks like we know what's happening in the pile when there's a fumble...

This is sort of important. Another important piece is that this rule was completely unimportant before the Pats-Clots game - to everybody in the NFL*. We have the football-heaters on the sidelines. We have Aaron Rodgers talking about how he wants the balls rock-hard. We have the texts between J. and M. saying an official went rogue and pumped 'em up to 16 PSI. None of that's important enough to follow up if we're to believe the NFL*. Once again, shades of Danny Aiello c 2006: "That's football."

Here's why that's important: There will be another rule that only the Pats have to follow. The rulebook is now a weapon, because it is applied selectively.

Any infraction - even as in this case, an unproven accusation of an infraction - can be trumped up into a "systematic effort" by the Pats.

NFLPA has the bridge here to player personnel issues which also involve capricious/arbitrary punishment, leaks to media as part of the process, etc.

I dont accept the premise that since it wasn't viewed as important it isn't a big deal.

Again, psi may be meaningless but a planned, stealth, conspiratorial attempt to deceive the referees into not knowing you are playing with footballs that do not conform to the rules, is a serious crime, regardless of whether it created an advantage or not. Of course it didn't happen, but if it did, the Patriots would deserve what they have gotten.

Many problems/consequences with Baghdad Bob just taking it in the azz from Goodell and bowing to the "other 31"...

I've already stated Brady's not getting a reduced suspension and he's not going to fight the ruling. The Pats will be without their starting Qb for the first 4 games. I don't care if Brady has a legal dream team. The ducks have been lined up for Brady to "take his medicine" for the good of the "32". Think about it - what's better for the "other 31": to have the Pats go 12-4, get a bye, and return to the AFC championship or have the Pats go 9-7/8-8 and get bounced in the first round or miss playoffs altogether? The answer is obvious.

Maybe I'm a ****oo conspiracy theorist but this whole charade SMACKS of a scheme to give some of the "other 31" a "chance". Perhaps "deflategate" didn't start out this way, but it took on a life of its own and the "other" 31 glommed onto the proceedings and lined up against Krafty and soon co opted him basically against the on the field football interests of his own team. I mean, Christ, it actually HELPS that cheap prick's bottom line NOT TO HAVE A FIRST ROUND PICK!

As others have said, since this whole thing started nothing has been favorable for the Pats or their fans since Belichick's science experiment and Kraft's demand of an apology - what happened to tough guy Krafty? Methinks a couple of commas and decimal points got to that cheap f#ck...but I digress....

Consequential to Brady missing the first 4 games and then having his usual pedestrian first few games, the annual schedule enema from the league, free agent departures, etc....this looks like the year that the "other 31" finally get their wish - the Patriots will be "taken down a notch." Krafty Baghdad Bob appeases his fellow owners, his Commissioner, saves himself some money through the lack of a first round pick in '16 and not paying Brady's salary for 4 games, and still laughs all the way to the bank.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but given how this farce has snowballed negatively for Pats fans, I just don't see anything good coming from this...

You are entitled to that opinion, but if you really feel the league dictates who wins, then the Patriots success means less now.
I'm not saying the league DOES dictate who wins, but it is within their power that they CAN make it difficult for teams to win when they take away draft picks, allow teams to blatantly tamper with players, suspend key players, and selectively ignore teams that screw with cap to gain serious advantages.

If you believe (and I don't) that the Welles report was even close to "fair and balanced" they you must think that Fox News doesn't have an agenda. It was as corrupt a piece of investigation as could be had, given the time and money used to create it.

Why would the league cheat to hurt the Patriots? What is in it for them?
It's just a mishandled situation, not a conspiracy or vendetta.
Has Kraft possessed the stones to fight it, he could have disproven everything in the Wells report, and the punishment would have been abandoned. That is what Brady is about to do.
Excellent question with 3 very clear answers.

1. Goodell is clearly uncomfortable with the Pats level of success over the years, and its consistency. Its not that he's against having so called "elite teams" like the Steelers, Niners, Cowboys, Ravens, Colts, and Giants. But the they have had the "decency" to occasionally come back to the pack for the odd season or two, and miss the playoffs or have an 8-8 or 7-9 season or worse.

What the Pats have accomplished since 2001, not only makes Goodell uncomfortable, it makes the great majority of the OTHER owners look bad, when they have to go back their fans and have to explain WHY they can't duplicate what the Pats have done. Even in their 2 non-playoff years, they had winning records.

2. There are those in the league that have come from teams who have a bone to pick with the Pats for various reasons. The Kensil example is the obvious one, but there are others. Plus can you think of ANYONE in the league office that has come from the Pats?

3. The media like those at ESPN/ABC, NBC, CBS., etc, are the NFL's most important $ partners and many of THOSE organizations who don't like the PERCEIVED arrogance of BB and Kraft, and have long awaited a "fall", and would LOVE to see the Pats come back to the pack.

Remember the media is filled with mediots who love to build teams up, but love to bring them down even more. The text book example of this is Ted Williams and the Boston media. Many of these pukes have been waiting a LONG time for the Pats to come back to the pack, and while individualy might have little influence on Goodell, as large organizations, I wouldn't ignore their influence on a guy already uncomfortable with the Pats' consistent success.

Last edited:
I dont accept the premise that since it wasn't viewed as important it isn't a big deal.

Again, psi may be meaningless but a planned, stealth, conspiratorial attempt to deceive the referees into not knowing you are playing with footballs that do not conform to the rules, is a serious crime, regardless of whether it created an advantage or not. Of course it didn't happen, but if it did, the Patriots would deserve what they have gotten.
While I agree, the league doesn't. Von Miller received 2 extra games for trying to dupe drug testing and I don't recall the Broncos getting hammered.

I'm not saying the league DOES dictate who wins, but it is within their power that they CAN make it difficult for teams to win when they take away draft picks, allow teams to blatantly tamper with players, suspend key players, and selectively ignore teams that screw with cap to gain serious advantages.
So they have a strategy to bring down the Patriots but do nothing to anyone else?
You did suggest that refs would blow calls to influence the outcome of games too.

If you believe (and I don't) that the Welles report was even close to "fair and balanced" they you must think that Fox News doesn't have an agenda. It was as corrupt a piece of investigation as could be had, given the time and money used to create it.
Dude, you have to work on comprehension.
In what way did I ever say anything even resembling that?

To say The Patriots did not cheat, but if they did what they are accused of the penalty they were given would be fair, is only saying the Wells report was fair in the eyes of someone who cannot read.

1. Goodell is clearly uncomfortable with the Pats level of success over the years, and its consistency. Its not that he's against having so called "elite teams" like the Steelers, Niners, Cowboys, Ravens, Colts, and Giants. But the they have had the "decency" to occasionally come back to the pack for the odd season or two, and miss the playoffs or have an 8-8 or 7-9 season or worse.
Why? What's in it for him?

What the Pats have accomplished since 2001, not only makes Goodell uncomfortable, it makes the great majority of the OTHER owners look bad, when they have to go back their fans and have to explain WHY they can't duplicate what the Pats have done. Even in their 2 non-playoff years, they had winning records.
I tip my tin foil hat to you.

2. There are those in the league that have come from teams who have a bone to pick with the Pats for various reasons. The Kensil example is the obvious one, but there are others. Plus can you think of ANYONE in the league office that has come from the Pats?
Again, paranoia will destroy ya.

3. The media like those at ESPN/ABC, NBC, CBS., etc, are the NFL's most important $ partners and many of THOSE organizations who don't like the PERCEIVED arrogance of BB and Kraft, and have long awaited a "fall", and would LOVE to see the Pats come back to the pack.
This is just something you made up with no evidence at all to back it up.

Remember the media is filled with mediots who love to build teams up, but love to bring them down even more.
So the NFL is violating its own rules to treat the Patriots unfairly compared to the other 31 teams because the media likes that?

The text book example of this is Ted Williams and the Boston media. Many of these pukes have been waiting a LONG time for the Pats to come back to the pack, and while individualy might have little influence on Goodell, as large organizations, I wouldn't ignore their influence on a guy already uncomfortable with the Pats' consistent success.
So Boston sportwriters wanting the Patriots to lose means that Goodell screws one of his bosses to make them happy?

You have an odd idea of the level of success that needs to be busted when you think there is a conspiracy to cheat against a team that went 10 years between SB Championships.

While I agree, the league doesn't. Von Miller received 2 extra games for trying to dupe drug testing and I don't recall the Broncos getting hammered.

He got 2 extra games.
They aren't penalizing the Patriots for something they think Brady did they are penalizing them for what they concluded was a scheme to defraud the referees.

Again, it is a wrong conclusion, but if you are punishing based upon the finding, I don't know how you can say the punishment is out of line.
If a different team ACTUALLY DID what the Patriots are accused of but didn't do, and they received the penalties the Patriots have, I would consider it fair.

He got 2 extra games.
They aren't penalizing the Patriots for something they think Brady did they are penalizing them for what they concluded was a scheme to defraud the referees.

Again, it is a wrong conclusion, but if you are punishing based upon the finding, I don't know how you can say the punishment is out of line.
If a different team ACTUALLY DID what the Patriots are accused of but didn't do, and they received the penalties the Patriots have, I would consider it fair.
What Miller 'did' was participate in scheme to defraud the league.

Never pin something on a conspiracy when the explanation of ineptitude paired with a sunk cost bias* is available.

*Sunk cost bias:"we've put so much money, time, and bluster into this that we absolutely have to come up with something or we look like fools"

So they have a strategy to bring down the Patriots but do nothing to anyone else?
You did suggest that refs would blow calls to influence the outcome of games too.

Dude, you have to work on comprehension.
In what way did I ever say anything even resembling that?

To say The Patriots did not cheat, but if they did what they are accused of the penalty they were given would be fair, is only saying the Wells report was fair in the eyes of someone who cannot read.

Why? What's in it for him?

I tip my tin foil hat to you.

Again, paranoia will destroy ya.

This is just something you made up with no evidence at all to back it up.

So the NFL is violating its own rules to treat the Patriots unfairly compared to the other 31 teams because the media likes that?

So Boston sportwriters wanting the Patriots to lose means that Goodell screws one of his bosses to make them happy?

You have an odd idea of the level of success that needs to be busted when you think there is a conspiracy to cheat against a team that went 10 years between SB Championships.

OK...Bob.......

So why exactly is Goodell a selfless league employee guided by the sole objective of protecting the honor and integrity of the shield?

Maybe someone hacked your account because this is about the most convoluted response ever witnessed at patsfans.com.

Remember the media is filled with mediots who love to build teams up, but love to bring them down even more. The text book example of this is Ted Williams and the Boston media. Many of these pukes have been waiting a LONG time for the Pats to come back to the pack, and while individualy might have little influence on Goodell, as large organizations, I wouldn't ignore their influence on a guy already uncomfortable with the Pats' consistent success.

There is a difference between the elite teams that eventually spent some time in mediocrity, and the Pats.

Those other teams did not directly prevent the Rats from being successful while the Pats did.

Goodell and Kensil et al may just care about that.

Never pin something on a conspiracy when the explanation of ineptitude paired with a sunk cost bias* is available.

*Sunk cost bias:"we've put so much money, time, and bluster into this that we absolutely have to come up with something or we look like fools"
For a cool 5M Wells will write him a report proving that the league's conspiring against the Patriots and Rog is generally aware of it.

As to the Ken & Andy exchange, I have one thing to say...Parity.

I believe that the league, the Commissioner, and the owners and I now sadly include Kraft, believe that the Holy Grail of Parity is essential to increasing the league's popularity and as a consequence most importantly its revenue stream growth. The 31+1 love that.

So much so that Bob Kraft's willing to toss his QB, the fans and the reputation of his personal franchise in the dumper to enable the continued growth of league (and thereby team) revenues and franchise value.

As to Ken's concerns, I believe that the league office has employees (q.v. Kensil) who shall we say have a NY background that would do anything feasible within their power to damage the NEP. It's clear that Kraft has acquiesed to open season on the NEP. More to follow. When least expected.

For a cool 5M Wells will write him a report proving that the league's conspiring against the Patriots and Rog is generally aware of it.

For $5 million, Wells would write a report that pig **** tastes like ice cream, toilet seats cause venereal disease and that R. Stokoe G-Man has a functioning brain. The report would be heralded as "independent" with fines and suspensions levied against the imagined perpetrators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down