PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft, Parcells & BB

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Kraft, Parcells & BB

I get a kick out of interviews like that....the bottom line is that Kraft is a great businessman...combined with a one of the greatest coaches EVER....gives you 3 world championships....a play away from winning 2 more and the most dominate team this millennium....a franchise that is one of the premier team in the league dedicated to winning. All that interview did was reek of jealousy......the story was interesting..bias as it may be....hopefully when BB decides to write the "Tell" all book...we'll get his perspective of things!!

While the interview and information is interesting, what this interview exuded was that air of superiority mediots often develop (if you peon fans knew what we knew, we were THERE, we have dinners with these guys, we TAWK...). Franseca could hardly contain his need to inform listeners he knew way more way than his guest did and he knew it sooner, but he's so connected he'd never actually reveal what he knows...

There is a word for that level of knowedge and insight. It's called media toady. They do hear a lot more than we do, but it's one sided and often BS. They buy it to a fault because it somehow underscores their sense of self importance.

Myers is also one of the media voices who was beating the drum for Coughlin to be canned back in 2007...and again in 2011... So he has little use or patience for two HC's who have won 5 of the last 10 superbowls as HC's. Meanwhile he is firmly in the Rex (and his QB) deserves more time camp. In fact his 5 point plan for the Jets includes correcting all the mistakes the brain trust made while retaining the core braintrust. I assume the odd opinions he forms have a lot to do with access...

--Bill Parcells was a great coach. He fundamentally transformed the culture of three teams in his career (the Jets changed back. They’re the Jets.) Don’t underestimate that.

--He was also kind of a jerk. Seems to have mellowed some in his retirement. As someone else noted, he didn’t treat Bob Kraft—his employer—with even the minimal respect he deserved.

--Kraft isn’t blameless. When he took Parcells’ drafting authority away, he did so by sandbagging him on the morning of the draft (according to an account by Will McDonough, who at one point was friends with Parcells and Kraft, and his account was credible to me). It’s understandable that Kraft did that—a powerful man who wasn’t shown any respect had the desire to hurt the guy who was disrespecting him—but it doesn’t make it right.

--But Kraft’s desire to move away from Parcells was the right one. Kraft was and is a great owner, who decided—correctly—that the long-term credibility of a franchise depended on the strength of the franchise itself, not one coach, not one person. His mistake hiring Pete Carroll—who did show him respect—was also perfectly understandable. And he corrected that mistake, brilliantly.

--Mike Francesa is a pretty good sports radio host. He’s also a blowhard who appears to be inordinately proud of his relationship with Bill Parcells. I sometimes wonder what Parcells really thinks of him.

--Myers is just a hackish NY newspaper guy. Not much of a writer, not much of a reporter. That recent column on Belichick was an embarrassment.

I agree the interview had good information - - regarding Kraft and Parcells amongst others. However notice there was very little about BB other than his nurturing a respectful attitude towards Kraft. The writer actively hates BB - - that is not hyperbole, it is fact. And it colors even some innocuous seeming history telling by the writer.

Example? In the interview he blames the frayed relationship with Parcells for BB's decision to reject the Jets HC job one year after taking a $1 million bonus to remain an assistant with the Jets with the tacit understanding he would succeed Parcells there. THAT is the writer's take on it in the interview. What he purposely leaves out (to color the story against BB as treasonously ungrateful) however is that the Jets owner who paid him that bonus - Leon Hess - had DIED in the meantime and a very different (Little Lord Fauntroy) owner - Woody Johnson had taken over. BB can see through frauds pretty well. By 1999, he had worked under Parcells off and on for over 14 years, he wasn't afraid of working under Parcells. The difference was the OWNER. Myers wants everyone to believe it was all about "The Great Parcells'" shadow. That's baloney.

He wasn't too "Belichicken" (the term used by his newspaper) to work under Parcells. Belichick saw WOODY JOHNSON for what he was and is. This writer continues to peddle his agenda against Belichick. It is obvious it is personal.

BTW, if you enjoyed the hilarity of that column 48 hours before 49-19, you would not believe the stuff he was writing during the runup week to last year's Super Bowl. As unprofessional as it gets.
I ddidnt know this game when BB resigned but from what I read, the jets ownership situation was up in the air and undecided when BB resigned and that was one of the reasons he did so .Dont know if woody was the owner when he did. I maybe wrong.

I don't know but I think this guy (myers) has never had a position of any responsibility with a boss who ALSO is responsible. Or else it just comes out in line with his self-admitted BB anti-bias.

my bosses have always wanted updates and in at least one command my boss wanted a daily email with critical info categories (in the early 90s before e-mail became commercially endemic). Othes asked for 3up / 3 downs frequently. Patriots is a $1B operation; this doesn tseem to me like "playing the boss", but more like "MANAGEMENT 101".

wait...its the same BB who had zero communication skills in cleveland who knows how to keep his boss happy now?

wait...its the same BB who had zero communication skills in cleveland who knows how to keep his boss happy now?

Actually when Kreft told BB that he wanted him as a HC (when he left w Parcells) he told him to work on his media skills. This was told to Myers when he had dinner w Kraft.

Unless you think a particular reporter/columnist/host cannot offer you any new information or perspective, it makes no sense to categorically ignore a writer/radio host.

Yes. The same can be said of certain posters on Patsfans!:D

Speaking of media hacks, didn't kevin mannix, ex of the Herald, call belichick "duplicitous pond scum" in an article or on radio early in belichick's tenure with NE? they all dislike belichick because he makes their job difficult. ..f the media

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes