PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft: NFL should expand to Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I respect "Soccer" as a sport, but its popular because its cost effective, simple, and fun. Nothing more

But that's the whole point. You don't need to be hugely intelligent to reach the top level in the sport (David Beckham says hi), and it's easy to get going.

The NFL is complex to understand to outsiders, even cricket is easier to pick up.

The NFL is complex to understand to outsiders, even cricket is easier to pick up.
Cricket easier to undesrtand?? Not sure about that one..

Cricket easier to undesrtand?? Not sure about that one..

If toddlers in India and Pakistan (where the sport is a religion) can pick it up.....

If toddlers in India and Pakistan (where the sport is a religion) can pick it up.....

Not a good example.

I traveled to Italy and to my amazement toddlers there could speak Italian much better than I could.

The Birmingham Bills does have a ring to it. :D

But that's the whole point. You don't need to be hugely intelligent to reach the top level in the sport (David Beckham says hi), and it's easy to get going.

It depends.

If you've been involved following a Sport since you were a toddler, then yeah it will be easy to pick up.

Most Americans would find it hard to pick up Cricket, because they've never watched it before. Similarly, many in other countries would find it hard to pickup American Football, because they've never picked it up.

hey patswickedpissah, what bars do you reccomend for the game in the seacoast area?

Coat of Arms pub in Portsmouth might have some games on the telly.

To me cricket is a mix of soccer/basketball/baseball, with paddles and no goalies. Running endlessly back and forth for hours, with a final score of 429-347 and as foreign to me as speaking Urdu.

It depends.

If you've been involved following a Sport since you were a toddler, then yeah it will be easy to pick up.

Most Americans would find it hard to pick up Cricket, because they've never watched it before. Similarly, many in other countries would find it hard to pickup American Football, because they've never picked it up.

It's the complexity of the game itself though; the nuances, the terminology, the knowledge needed to play each position. Cricket is by and large still about being able to hit the ball hard and far, or bowling it so they can't connect with it properly or at all.

Coat of Arms pub in Portsmouth might have some games on the telly.

To me cricket is a mix of soccer/basketball/baseball, with paddles and no goalies. Running endlessly back and forth for hours, with a final score of 429-347 and as foreign to me as speaking Urdu.

I love the Coat of arms, but i didnt move from the uk to watch American football in a british bar lol

Paddy's American Grill Portsmouth Has many TVs and a 100" big screen

I love the Coat of arms, but i didnt move from the uk to watch American football in a british bar lol

Oops, thought you were looking for a place to watch cricket.

This is pure greed on the NFL. Can you imagine the travel time? Most of Europe doesn't know what the hell American football is. Over there football is soccer.

No way. The travel time is reason enough for this not to happen.

I love you Mr. Kraft but you flat wrong.

NFL is, and should always remain, an American pasttime.

Flying overseas is always a competitive disadvantage and a wild card and just plain stupid. Not worth it.

I really hate when people say "across the pond"

A ridiculous idea. Even PLAYING in other countries is a ridiculous idea.

Why must we try to push EVERYTHING American on other countries?

This is our damn game. Leave it here, and don't try to push it down some Euro-wanker's throats. They've got their girly-man soccer to watch and shout GOOOOAALLLLL at (once every 2 hours).

Pipe down, that bs will be losing Ian members from Europe and theres quite a few of us "wankers" about. We're fans of the Pats who came here to talk and you get greeted with this sh!t? Your not a good advert for your team are you? Luckily for you and Ian theres other personalities who are.

Us wankers are agreed a franchise over here is a bad idea too so go and have a lie down.

"Girly-man soccer" doesn't even last two hours.

I respect "Soccer" as a sport, but its popular because its cost effective, simple, and fun. Nothing more

Go down to South America and tell the Brazilian and Argentinian kids the game you work so hard to play to feed your families and get them off the streets doesn't hold any value. They would call you crazy, same as any Brit would, any German, Chinese, Japanese. In Italy the game can mean life or death, literally and you mean to tell me that just because it's cost effective? The things that come with the game mean so much to people, the teams stadiums are footballing meccas. Places like Anfield, the Nou Camp in Barcelona, Santiago Bernabeu.....these places are places soccer fans dream to go to and see their team play in. That in itself creates popularity.

Cultures with traditions passed down though generation after generation after generation. To say that holds no value is an insult. You have so much like local rivalries, the hard work the game takes to play it, even at a reasonable amatuer level and the passion and pride involved in all of that. Fun might be what they teach the kids who play it in the States, I bet some don't even keep score there but it's on a whole different level here.

For pure picking up a football and kicking it round, scoring goals yeah. It unites so many, gives poor kids on the streets enjoyment. Thats why they call it the beautiful game. Even the British and the Germans stopped fighting during christmas in WWI, got out a ball and played soccer. When you progress and get into soccer theres tons more meaning to people though.

Last edited:
It all comes down to starting from the grass roots level. Baseball was unknown in Japan, until American servicemen taught the game to kids after WWII.
Now, it's the most popular sport in Japan.
If they had done the same with football, chances are there would be more interest in Asia.

Apparently, both baseball and football missed the boat in Europe after WWII, probably because soccer was already the team sport of choice.

The disadvantage soccer has in the US is huge. Though widely played throughout the country on the amateur level, it cannot break through on the professional level because it is not adaptable to frequent breaks for commercial television. Professional leagues have tried and failed, and probably the only thing that will raise visibility in this country, is for American players to become superstars on the world stage. it will probably take another generation for that to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down