PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft looking to build Soccer Stadium in Somerville?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the restaurants have a maximum amount of business they can do in one day. They might be able to do close to that during a regular Saturday (assuming that is the day the Revs are playing). Besides, the restaurants are empty for the 2-3 hours when the game/event is going on.

I've been to the restaurants on non event days and event days. Even the nicer places like Davio's do not push them in and out like they do on an event day. Plus most people are motivated to eat and get out so the turnover is much quicker. Everything from Five Guys on up the food chain has line a hundred feet out the door. You're not pushing 60K plus people through there on a non event day. Granted some tailgate ect but it's crazy.

I am curious as to where in Somerville this would be?? There are not many spaces where a stadium could be built...less so than in many years. Not sure where the Green Line is suppose to be extended to..beyond Lechmere?? How far??
I agree this is older news, but isn't it something of importance??

Last edited:
I am curious as to where in Somerville this would be?? There are not many spaces where a stadium could be built...less so than in many years. Not sure where the Green Line is suppose to be extended to..beyond Lechmere?? How far??
I agree this is older news, but isn't it something of importance??

The stadium is supposedly going up on Inner Belt Road north of the commuter rail facility. It was either here or along the waterfront and the city would rather have the higher priced residential condo complexes there than the stadium so Inner Belt Road gets the stadium by default.

The extension of the Green Line follows the Fitchburg Line to Union Square and follows the Lowell Line to West Medford at Rt. 16. The old Lechmere station and yard will close with a new station in the North Point development will open.

Where is the best place in a stadium to sit to watch a soccer game? I'm curious.

Actually ... behind the nets is great for me.

It's also usually where the loudest fans are ... right next to the guys beating the drums.

This is a little off topic, but its something thats bugged me since I heard it.
Kraft owns an NFL team, a MLS team, and the stadium where they play(well done Bobby, golf clap).

He says he DOESNT support a Super Bowl bid for Foxboro because it would be too hard for everybody involved.
He says he DOES support a World Cup bid for Boston.

I understand that the world cup thing was/is just good PR with Menino, but I dont understand how he can have two differing views on what is pretty much apples-to-apples. Wouldnt the World Cup in Boston be too hard on everybody involved as well? Imagine how many people would get lost in the criss-crossing maze of roads that is called Boston.

Anyways, as previous Revs fans have posted, this is like a broken record to us, they just fixed up the record player before they played it to us.
About the seating:
The area directly behind the Revs starting Goal is "The Fort", its where passionate fans are( standing,chanting, singing, or being involved in something is considered required in this area). Tix=$20 (basically they give you cheaper tix for creating the stadium atmosphere)
any other place is more "normal" , where the casual fans are ( Singing, chanting and all the other stuff still encouraged here too) Tix=$30-40
Im going to try to get to the upcoming game against the Galaxy, anybody else?

He says he DOESNT support a Super Bowl bid for Foxboro because it would be too hard for everybody involved.

I understand that the world cup thing was/is just good PR with Menino, but I dont understand how he can have two differing views on what is pretty much apples-to-apples. Wouldnt the World Cup in Boston be too hard on everybody involved as well? Imagine how many people would get lost in the criss-crossing maze of roads that is called Boston.

I'm sorry, how is that the same? I don't have all of Kraft's statements in front of me, but it seems to me that the risks of having a Superbowl in a stadium in the northeast are obvious: what do you do if there's a major winter storm? The NFL had its reasons to want to sweeten things for New York and so they decided to take the risk. The World Cup takes place in the summer.

In fact, I hope and pray that the U.S. doesn't get the World Cup again. The U.S. World Cup was easily the worst I can remember. Unsuitable stadia and lack of passionate fans were problems but, most important, was the fact of playing the games in the summer heat. Top quality soccer just can't be played with the temperature in the 80s and 90s and the obvious alternative -- play the games at night -- is excluded when your major market (Europe) is 5 or 6 hours ahead.

Alot prefer behind the goals to watch but I personally prefer the Centenary Stand at Anfield, about 9 rows up just off center. Banter isn't as good as The Kop, it's more of a "posh" stand but I try for there. My uncle has his ST in the Anny Road end and I've sat there myself tons of times. Theres a cool set of three seats there on he upper tier, tons of leg room and no standing up when somebody wants a p!ss or a pie.

Worst is definately pitch level, not only can you not see most of the pitch (or if your like me the tactical movement of the players) I also got introduced to Rob Jones back in the day when he failed to stop before the advertising boards.

This is a little off topic, but its something thats bugged me since I heard it.
Kraft owns an NFL team, a MLS team, and the stadium where they play(well done Bobby, golf clap).

Anyways, as previous Revs fans have posted, this is like a broken record to us, they just fixed up the record player before they played it to us.
About the seating:
The area directly behind the Revs starting Goal is "The Fort", its where passionate fans are( standing,chanting, singing, or being involved in something is considered required in this area). Tix=$20 (basically they give you cheaper tix for creating the stadium atmosphere)
any other place is more "normal" , where the casual fans are ( Singing, chanting and all the other stuff still encouraged here too) Tix=$30-40
Im going to try to get to the upcoming game against the Galaxy, anybody else?

Like many others, I have heard this before. In fact when I clicked the thread, the first thing I did was check the date on the article Ian linked because I assumed this to be an archived thread.

The World Cup was held in Foxboro in 94 and was a huge success from what I can recall. I think he has seen that it can be done and is willing to do it again with a better stadium, infrastructure, Patriot Place, etc. The World Cup has a lot of logistics but NOTHING compared to the Super Bowl. The Super Bowl is a two week party/event which requires the host stadium, hotels, convention centers, public transportation hubs, etc all working in unison. The World Cup sees teams in and out over the course of the month and does not have all of the "bells and whistles" of a Super Bowl.

Last edited:
The World Cup has a lot of logistics but NOTHING compared to the Super Bowl. The Super Bowl is a two week party/event which requires the host stadium, hotels, convention centers, public transportation hubs, etc all working in unison. The World Cup sees teams in and out over the course of the month and does not have all of the "bells and whistles" of a Super Bowl.

I would have to disagree, i would say the world cup would be profoundly more polular than a superbowl. there will be people from all over the world visiting and staying in boston throughout the month-long even. literately hundreds of thousands of people will travel to the US. the superbowl is more of a 3-5 day event for the people coming. sure around boston it would be 2 weeks, but for everyone else coming from around the country their stay will range from 3-5 days. not to mention the fact that the world cup in itself is a self promoting machine, giving host cities bigger profiles on a global scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back