PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft didn't hired Parcells in early 90's ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianPat

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I just found a story on Parcells taking over Miami and what he's going to do, they focused on his increasing the net worth of the team and when they started about the Patriots, there was this paragraph:

"The Patriots story is the most interesting. In the early '90s, New England needed a new owner but the club value was so low that the league got involved in fixing up the franchise for sale. Parcells was hand-picked by the NFL to be the head coach and general manager and given the charge to reorganize and effectively reposition the New England Patriots franchise in the marketplace."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsess...0d5d805b4316&template=with-video&confirm=true

I thought Kraft bought the team and hired Parcells, was I wrong ?

Yup, you were wrong.

Orthwein hired Tuna, although the NFL apparently helped make it happen according to that piece.

Last edited:
Yup, you were wrong.

Orthwein hired Tuna, although the NFL apparently helped make it happen according to that piece.

Wow, ok thanks, its good too know the facts !

Yes.

Parcels was hired by the heir of the Budweiser beer fortune. Mr. Orthwein, who had bought the Team from Victor Kiam, of Remington shaver fame.
By that time the Chicago Cardinals were being driven from St. Louis by a lack of interest in their all-losing incompetence. Mr. Budweiser wanted to buy the Team and move it to his hometown, St Louis.

Bob Kraft, he of the "Kraft paper" fame, a Pats fan and long time season ticket holder, saw an opportunity and seized it. He outbid everyone for a the few pennies for the decrepit Foxboro Stadium, that no one wanted. No one wanted a broken down stadium with a no other team, in a suburb far from any other team. But Kraft knew something others did not. He bought the Stadium. (... along with its iron-clad, long term, unbreakable lease signed by the Pats)...

When Budweiser wanted to move the Team, Kraft would not let them out of the lease for any amount of reasonable, or unreasonable, money. Eventually they quit, when their lawyers couldn't break the lease.

Then Kraft bought the team along with its Coach, one Duane "Bill", aka,"the Tuna" Parcels, to continue to play in his stadium. The rest is history.

Kraft didn't get the wrest the last AFL franchise from Philadelphia either.

Last edited:
Thanks for the education people !!

Yes. Thanks for the info. These details were lost on me along the way, but the acumen (and loyalty) of Kraft has garnered increased respect from me.

Good chap, that guy, eh?

Well, if we didn't get Parcells, I'm sure **** MacPherson would have been available. :eek:

I remember it all, except the part where the NFL is involved in picking Parcells as the coach. Sounds like BS to me.

Yes.

Parcels was hired by the heir of the Budweiser beer fortune. Mr. Orthwein, who had bought the Team from Victor Kiam, of Remington shaver fame.
By that time the Chicago Cardinals were being driven from St. Louis by a lack of interest in their all-losing incompetence. Mr. Budweiser wanted to buy the Team and move it to his hometown, St Louis.

Bob Kraft, he of the "Kraft paper" fame, a Pats fan and long time season ticket holder, saw an opportunity and seized it. He outbid everyone for a the few pennies for the decrepit Foxboro Stadium, that no one wanted. No one wanted a broken down stadium with a no other team, in a suburb far from any other team. But Kraft knew something others did not. He bought the Stadium. (... along with its iron-clad, long term, unbreakable lease signed by the Pats)...

When Budweiser wanted to move the Team, Kraft would not let them out of the lease for any amount of reasonable, or unreasonable, money. Eventually they quit, when their lawyers couldn't break the lease.

Then Kraft bought the team along with its Coach, one Duane "Bill", aka,"the Tuna" Parcels, to continue to play in his stadium. The rest is history.
That's how I remember it. Didn't Kraft also have a foot in the door by owning the land, or at least adjoining land with some sort of a horse or dog racing
track? IIRC there was some flap about Kraft pushing a co-owner out the door around hat time.

Orthwein rarely gets the credit he deserves for having done the right thing for this team before he sold out. Kraft inherited an energized franchise (and paid good money for it too.)

What Kraft did was superb, but he did have problems with Large Bill that cost the team dearly. Nobody is perfect. The overall effect was good, obviously, as Kraft learned from his mistakes. And then some!

Who???? Am I missing something?

The Chicago Cardinals, that became the St Louis Cardinals, that became the Phoenix Cardinals, that became the Arizona Cardinals, are the oldest professional football team in America.

They trace their history back to 1898, some twenty two years BEFORE the National Football League was formed. They were driven from Chicago by the Chicago Bears, and moved to St Louis for a time. They joined that league when it was founded in 1920, having played a barnstorming existence for some twenty years prior. They have been the most inept of the NFL franchises, holding but one title won in 1947.

Even that title is somewhat tainted as Paul Brown's Cleveland Browns were then going unbeaten over some 28 games in the AAFC, before joining and then dominating the NFL in 1950. The Browns were probably the best professional football team in the world in the late 1940s. :D

so the actual WSH Redskins are the 'old' Boston Redskins ?

when the Boston Redskins left Boston ?

of course before 1959 but when ? ; someone from the Bostons Redskins also was 'involved' when the Boston Patriots born ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back