Status
Not open for further replies.

JR4

In the Starting Line-up
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I will be first to admit I was wrong about Bob Kraft's intentions with the
CAP space. I will accept him at his word and his word is

“It’s not a conscious intention to be under the cap,” Kraft said. “First of all, the season is not over. Clearly, monies were being held for [Deion Branch’s situation]. It’s publicly known we were looking at the Ty Law situation at the time. Those two situations would have taken up a fair amount of the money. And there are some other things we’ll be able to do potentially between now and the end of the year.”

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

He said it was not a conscious intention ... I take him at his word.

So they still have some things they can do between now and end of the
year. I hope extending contracts like Graham and Samuel is what he
meant.

Last edited:
the patriots actually commenting publicly on lookin at a player lol.. never thought id see the day

as its been said in other threads.. tehre are about 10 teams i think that have at least 10 mil in space

Last edited:
JR4 said:

“It’s not a conscious intention to be under the cap,†Kraft said. “First of all, the season is not over. Clearly, monies were being held for [Deion Branch’s situation]. It’s publicly known we were looking at the Ty Law situation at the time. Those two situations would have taken up a fair amount of the money. And there are some other things we’ll be able to do potentially between now and the end of the year.â€

meant.
Why should anyone EVER have thought that it was their intent not to spend to the cap? They've always spent to the cap before. I just don't get all this Pats FO bashing.

jonathan kraft was on felger's show and answered a similar question about spending to limit by saying something like "if you have 5 mill dollars ,sure you can buy a ferrari for 1 mill.but how useful is it if you have drive your car in say streets of downtown boston with difficult routes and roads" something of that sort implying there needs to be value in the money spent

PromisedLand said:
Why should anyone EVER have thought that it was their intent not to spend to the cap? They've always spent to the cap before. I just don't get all this Pats FO bashing.

We're in the longest superbowl drought since 2002. Heads must roll, baby, and roll they will

RI Pats Fan said:
We're in the longest superbowl drought since 2002. Heads must roll, baby, and roll they will
I assume you're being facetious.

Absolute worst case, they can give Brady a $6M check from this year's cap and reduce his yearly salary by $1M each of his remaining years. There's a million and one ways to use it and/or roll it over to the future.

It doesn't make sense to not invest that money into the product on the field when you are sitting on one of the most valuable sports franchises out there. They can use it to pay a player that they obtain, although that is less likely than attempting to sign a potential free agent or pay a large chunk of a bonus to Seymour or other key player that will take a cap hit this year and lighten the cap hit in later years on those players. The Patriots will spend to the cap; I've never doubted that.

BelichickFan said:
Absolute worst case, they can give Brady a $6M check from this year's cap and reduce his yearly salary by $1M each of his remaining years. There's a million and one ways to use it and/or roll it over to the future.
At the very least they could do this with a handful of players, or they could take care of an upcoming FA. But, if they did that right now, everyone then would say they signed so and so instead of giving Branch $XXX.OO

JR4 said:
It’s publicly known we were looking at the Ty Law situation at the time.

Sarcasm turned on.

I thought that this board had determined that the Patriots would never deal with the Postons.

Sarcasm turned off

--
Miguel (more than anything, the NFL is a business)

SVN said:
jonathan kraft was on felger's show and answered a similar question about spending to limit by saying something like "if you have 5 mill dollars ,sure you can buy a ferrari for 1 mill.but how useful is it if you have drive your car in say streets of downtown boston with difficult routes and roads" something of that sort implying there needs to be value in the money spent

This was taken from Felger's show. Reiss just took what he said and put it on his blog so you can all give him credit for doing nothing and being the hardest working journalist in Boston.

I'm Ron Borges? said:
This was taken from Felger's show. Reiss just took what he said and put it on his blog so you can all give him credit for doing nothing and being the hardest working journalist in Boston.

Are you kidding me??? Sounds like you really are Wrong Borges and you truly are jealous of Mike Reiss - see, he has the respect of Patriot football fans and you do not. All Reiss does is work very hard at bringing us non biased and very hard to find, true information without his opinion or spin. He has no agenda but to inform. He was nice enough and smart enough to tell us all what was said on Felgers show. He gave the show the proper credit- what is wrong with informing those not in a position to hear the show what went on?

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Pats Fan

by Promised Land:
I assume you're being facetious.

Why would anyone joke about that?
Isn't that the soothing whik whik sound of
a guillotine being sharpened
that i hear?
:)

Last edited:
Jonathan has been saying this for several weeks now on every show where he's asked about the :eek: EXCESS CAP :eek:. And I have tried valiently to repeat and reiterate what he's been saying all along to no avail.

I'm glad at least now JR4 is satisfied with the explanation, the simple logic of which was apparent to most of us all along...:rolleyes:

God, I thank Bob Kraft for clearing this all up.

Maybe now there will not be another cap thread posted for a week. :eat2:

Miguel said:
Sarcasm turned on.

I thought that this board had determined that the Patriots would never deal with the Postons.

Sarcasm turned off

--
Miguel (more than anything, the NFL is a business)

Miguel, it it true you have a man-crush on the poston Bro?

Inquiring idiotic minds want to know.

JR4 said:

“It’s not a conscious intention to be under the cap,†Kraft said. “First of all, the season is not over. Clearly, monies were being held for [Deion Branch’s situation]. It’s publicly known we were looking at the Ty Law situation at the time. Those two situations would have taken up a fair amount of the money. And there are some other things we’ll be able to do potentially between now and the end of the year.â€

meant.
d%#*!@t JR, why are you talking about "Bob" Kraft when Jonathan is being quoted, accuracy my man or you'll be assigned a thread with It's Ron Borges as your thread mate.

MoLewisrocks said:
Jonathan has been saying this for several weeks now on every show where he's asked about the :eek: EXCESS CAP :eek:. And I have tried valiently to repeat and reiterate what he's been saying all along to no avail.

I'm glad at least now JR4 is satisfied with the explanation, the simple logic of which was apparent to most of us all along...:rolleyes:

No kidding. I can't believe that after the Pats history of spending to the cap that this was even an issue. What did everyone think they were going to do with the extra money? Spend it all stupidly "just because"? Jeez.

Bella*chick said:
No kidding. I can't believe that after the Pats history of spending to the cap that this was even an issue. What did everyone think they were going to do with the extra money? Spend it all stupidly "just because"? Jeez.
But Bella, haven't the Krafts begun using plasticware in place of silverware in the cafeteria? Surely the end is at hand! :rolleyes:

Box_O_Rocks said:
But Bella, haven't the Krafts begun using plasticware in place of silverware in the cafeteria? Surely the end is at hand! :rolleyes:

LOL, and here I thought they must be making the players eat with their hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes