PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft and other sports figures despised in Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.
The premise of this thread is absurd and purely reactionary.

As the fans who fund Kraft's billion dollar enterprise, we have every right to be PO'ed. Still, this is the man who saved football in New England. Without Kraft, you don't have Parcells, without Parcells you don't have Belichick, without Belichick you don't have Tom GOAT Brady, and you don't have 4 Super Bowl championships to celebrate.

Ironically, without these 4 titles, you don't have an angry mob of other teams' fans pressuring Goodell to find any reason to knock us down a peg. It's the price of success in today's world. We live in a nasty, high surveillance society with a lust for punishment. Unfortunately, we waste this energy on our sports figures instead of using it to make our world better.

Goodell and Wells are flat wrong about deflategate. The fans and media are flat wrong about their overreaction and blood lust. Kraft was probably right in choosing to let this pass and focusing on Pittsburgh.

The sting will subside when Brady returns, takes the MVP, and leads the defiant Patriots to #5. Otherwise, remember that without Kraft, these are the St. Louis Patriots.

Agreed, we SHOULD be.... On to Pittsburgh.

What is the team's record since Kraft bought the team, built a new stadium, Hall of Fame, etc.? I seem to recall 7 SB appearances and 10(ish) Conference games.

Buckner allowed a slow roller to go through his legs that would have won the World Series. It wasn't his fault that he was still in there, but it clearly was his fault for missing that grounder. He deserves criticism for that missed opportunity.

I remember wondering why Buckner was staying in the game when he batted with the bases loaded against lefty Jesse Orosco in the 8th. That was when I knew they were not going to put in Stapleton, who had been replacing Buckner for defense late in games. Buckner looked like crap against Orosco's curve ball.

There was still game 7 to play and win for Boston. Surely there were other missed opportunities for the Red Sox in game 6.

Even in the NFL where its do or die losses never come down to just 1 play. IE: SB42 Tyree catch. Samuel let an INT go right through his hands, NE missed a fumble recovery early in the game, Hobbs on Burress by himself was a TD all day long, The offense only scored 17 points.

They weren't on Orrs team.

The only guy you could call a Goon was Wayne Cashman.

I once umpired a charity softball game where Cashman went nuts and ended the game. He's a dope.

Agreed, we SHOULD be.... On to Pittsburgh.

What is the team's record since Kraft bought the team, built a new stadium, Hall of Fame, etc.? I seem to recall 7 SB appearances and 10(ish) Conference games.

My favorite is to look at the last 12 year's win totals. The playoff wins are in parenthesis;
12(3)-12(1)-12(1)-13(2)-14-10-11-16(2)-12(2)-10(1)-14(3)-14(3).
Incredible.

The premise of this thread is absurd and purely reactionary.

As the fans who fund Kraft's billion dollar enterprise, we have every right to be PO'ed. Still, this is the man who saved football in New England. Without Kraft, you don't have Parcells, without Parcells you don't have Belichick, without Belichick you don't have Tom GOAT Brady, and you don't have 4 Super Bowl championships to celebrate.

Ironically, without these 4 titles, you don't have an angry mob of other teams' fans pressuring Goodell to find any reason to knock us down a peg. It's the price of success in today's world. We live in a nasty, high surveillance society with a lust for punishment. Unfortunately, we waste this energy on our sports figures instead of using it to make our world better.

Goodell and Wells are flat wrong about deflategate. The fans and media are flat wrong about their overreaction and blood lust. Kraft was probably right in choosing to let this pass and focusing on Pittsburgh.

The sting will subside when Brady returns, takes the MVP, and leads the defiant Patriots to #5. Otherwise, remember that without Kraft, these are the St. Louis Patriots.

Interestingly, and not at all ironically, I find your post absurd and purely reactionary.

I once umpired a charity softball game where Cashman went nuts and ended the game. He's a dope.
I remember when those guys used to have training camp in Fitchburg. Wallace Civic Center. They used to hang out over at a place called "King's Corner Restaurant". My neighbor's sister was Espo's side squeeze and would hang out with them... they were coo-coo. Fights (often with each other) and Cashman and Hodge were known as hard-core drunks who would be passed out every night... wild stories from her and other people. They liked hanging out there because they got the second floor to themselves.

And that would be stretching the imagination some if people wanted to go there. Cashman played on the first line with Esposito and Hodge. The majority of goons were fourth line players.
Bucyk, McKenzie and Sanderson were line 2 and trhey could muck it up if necessary...I recall a playoff game vs Rangers that lasted 7 seconds before Sanderson took on the goalie....

Actually, line two was Stanfield at center, not Sanderson. Sanderson was third line, with Westfall on his right and multiple entries at left wing. Bucyk never mucked it up, though he could lay out a mean hip check. Pie McKenzie was certainly a grade A agitator., but not even close to being a goon.

Bucyk, McKenzie and Sanderson were line 2 and trhey could muck it up if necessary...I recall a playoff game vs Rangers that lasted 7 seconds before Sanderson took on the goalie....

Sanderson was a pretty boy and in those days players didn't wear helmets or facemasks. Teddy Green wore a helmet only because he suffered a serious head injury. McKenzie looked rough, but those guys were all scoring machines.

Goals
43 Espo
33 Orr
31 Bucyk
29 McKenzie
25 Hodge
23 Stanfield
18 Sanderson

Last edited:
Kraft should have kept his mouth shut. Even if he didn't feel like going through with the appeal (which seems to be the real reason he skipped it - too much work) - all he had to do was release a statement or something.

But his speech - well that cost him. He cast his lot with the 'big guys' and talked about how he wanted to feel accepted and welcomed by the other owners. What's said is none of those guys really seem to accept him - and none of them would let their franchise get beat down like that..

It's like some rich Brit guy trying to mix with the nobility.. Kraft doesn't fit in - and has no pull - and did nothing for his team with this move. If anything by protecting its corruption - he is setting it up for downfall. If you really care about the 31 you should want to root out the bad apples..

Kraft should have kept his mouth shut. Even if he didn't feel like going through with the appeal (which seems to be the real reason he skipped it - too much work) - all he had to do was release a statement or something.

But his speech - well that cost him. He cast his lot with the 'big guys' and talked about how he wanted to feel accepted and welcomed by the other owners. What's said is none of those guys really seem to accept him - and none of them would let their franchise get beat down like that..

It's like some rich Brit guy trying to mix with the nobility.. Kraft doesn't fit in - and has no pull - and did nothing for his team with this move. If anything by protecting its corruption - he is setting it up for downfall. If you really care about the 31 you should want to root out the bad apples..
Absolutely correct,sir. The more he sucks up to the real powers like Rooney and Mara, the less respect they have for him. Kraft is really delusional if he thinks this will blow over soon. I can just imagine the reception he will receive chumming around with Goodell in the owners box in the first game and the picture is shown on the jumbotron.

Robert Kraft brings shame to the fans of NE Patriots. He should step down as the owner of the team.

How much did you bid?

Also, you need to build your own stadium. Unlike most owners, he owns one.

id take kraft any day over kroenke who is screwing my city over and moving my team to LA.

The bottom line is, the NFL does not care about the fans or the game, they care about money.

Which is precisely why the NFL* won't get another red cent from me.

Gronk needs to toss Goodell* from the club!

id take kraft any day over kroenke who is screwing my city over and moving my team to LA.
How can you blame Kroenke when fans don't turn out to support the team? Whenever I've seen a Rams game on TV going back several years now, the stadium looks less than half full. Having the league's most overrated coach might play a role, but St. Louis really might not deserve an NFL franchise.

The bottom line is, the NFL does not care about the fans or the game, they care about money.

Why didn't STL build a new stadium?

They built a state of the art home for the Cards. The existing Rams Jones Dome is a dump.

I agree. St Louisians are still dreaming of the phony-turf, temperature-controlled Greatest Show on Turf
days. Those days are over, and outdoor/retractable, natural-grass stadia are the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes