PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft and Goodell FRIENDS?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, my personal favorite in the Ravens game was the little noticed and late BS PI call against the guy defending Moss on the key first down that Brady made with his legs late in the game on 4th down. The guy chucked Moss at the line and they got tangled up (again at the line at the beginning of a long play--I emphasize that because the flag came late), only after the pocket collapsed (and perhaps Tommy Boy may not make the first) and Brady had to scramble. They didn't need the penalty it turned out as he did make it, but glad to see the refs had their back nonetheless.

When the Pats were down late in the 4th and starting that drive, I turned to my wife and said, the Pats will pull this out with some help from the officials and, sure enough, that's just what happened. I was able to make that call because it's so predictable.

You call me an ass, but again, I invite you to see what the rest of the League thinks about you and the officiating in your games. If there's no smoke there, then why all the noise?
Thank you for not really answering my question. The reason that nobody talks about the Moss play was that you are the only one who questions it and it had noi real effect on the game (as you admitted). Ok, that is your personal favorite paly from that game. What are your other favorites? It is logical that the rest of the country feels the same - they dislike the Pats just like you and hate to see them win every game. Therefore, it MUST be a conspiracy (with Goodell whispering into the game officials' ears that they should help out the Pats if they can) that brought them to the brink of a perfect season and not excellent players/excellent coaching/excellent execution.

"I turned to my wife and said, the Pats will pull this out with some help from the officials and, sure enough..". I'm glad you snuggle on you couch with your wife but you still need to give me some real examples of how the officials helped the Pats win. Sorry, Bart Scott and Samari Rolle aren't around to help you. You'll have to defend your prior statement all by yourself. Prove that you are not an ass.

You call me an ass, but again, I invite you to see what the rest of the League thinks about you and the officiating in your games. If there's no smoke there, then why all the noise?

Uhh... because they root for other teams ?

Jealousy ? Envy ? Delusion ?

And using TMQ as a news source... now that just screams credibility.

BTW, here's a piece from TMQ after the first Bills-Pats game last year--enjoy....

Adventures in Officiating: After the multiple zebra miscues of the playoffs, we have a new officiating uniform, but do we have new results? The offensive pass interference call against Tim Carter of the Giants with four minutes remaining Sunday, negating a first down and leading to the game-deciding interception on the next snap, looked bogus -- and I speak as someone who believes offensive pass interference should be called more often. The Patriots were flagged for just one 5-yard infraction, although there were at least four plays on which a Patriots offensive lineman wrapped both arms around a Buffalo pass-rusher, and the Flying Elvii benefited from an extremely convenient inadvertent whistle that ended a play when a Buffalo runner had 50 yards of green grass between him and the end zone.

Meanwhile, the Bills were hit with seven penalties, including a ticky-tack nudge-in-the-back call that wiped out a fourth-quarter first down in New England territory and changed a scoring opportunity into a punt. Worst, it is outrageous that no flag flew when Cincinnati's Robert Geathers dove at Kansas City quarterback Trent Green while he was sliding. The feet-first-slide rule is unambiguous: "Whenever a runner declares himself down by sliding feet first on the ground, the ball is dead." Any contact constitutes unnecessary roughness. Geathers pile-drived into Green as he slide, and the pile-drive is itself illegal. Not only should flags have flown, Geathers should have been ejected. Instead, the officials were staring off into space.

Come on Mike Pereira, supervisor of NFL officials, your guys are messing up week in and week out. Maybe the league needs new blood in this department: Pereira is no Jerry Seeman, that's for sure. And maybe NFL officials -- who work part-time, unlike the full-time officials of other pro sports -- simply are not up to the task as weekend warriors. The National Football League is the richest sport. Wouldn't some funding for full-time officials be worth a try?
I'm not talking about a single game last year or some game from 2003, I'm talking about the Pats-Ravens from this year. You brought it up so now you have to defend your statment. Begin.

Actually guys, I'm a Bills fan ...........
Stopped reading right there.............. who cares what you think. This is a Patriot board.

You know, I actually rooted for you guys in your first SB, but the constant media deification and all the stuff above, plus Belijerk, Spygate, Kraft, etc. have made you guys incredibly easy to dislike....

See above.......

We get the same number of calls against us as every other team, and vice-versa. Same with the Colts. At least on an "over time" basis. That said, last years AFCCC was terribly officiated, as was this year's Pats/Colts game. If you had anything but hate for the Patriots, you could clearly see that. I've talked to objective non-Patriots fans and almost all could see it as well. Like I said, over time, it evens out, but there are certainly singular incidents that it goes one way or the other. The last few have been favored towards the Colts.

I hear crickets. Still there murabma?? Trying the phone-a-friend route to help you out??

Goodell has had months to explain that the charge was VIDEOTAPING signals, not stealing signals, but has allowed the firestorm to rage for months. He let every pundit in the nation question the Patriots accomplishments, past, present and future. And you are saying that Kraft is not affected by this? Nonsense. Kraft didn't get where he is by getting walked over.

this is precisely why i was surprised at the hug vs the handshake. and it seemed as if kraft was the initiator of the hug.
it is an extremely confusing situation, as kraft seems to have done everything against the pats (excluding the fine). and yet they still seem to be friendly.
i think there are just too many missing pieces of the story to be able to draw any definite conclusions.

Yes, you do. You just don't think Kraft should be annoyed with the commissioner. But you are lying when you say you don't know why people are surprised by this show of affection.

Lying? Dude, I want some of what your smoking. I'm surprised that people think that Kraft should harbor some resentment towards Goodell because of spygate. Even Kraft said this week that spygate was unpleasant and an embarrassment but he also said that it's over and done with.

Okay, so the OP was talking about being shocked vis a vis the hug when the Pats won. I've seen Kraft hug people after big games before. That's nothing new.

Look at the title of this thread. Obviously, the poster who created it is shocked that Kraft and Goodell are (at the very least) friendly towards each other. That's what I was responding to.

Oldskool, do you think Goodell handled the situation well or poorly?

I am of the opinion that he handled it quite poorly. I would think that if Kraft felt the same way then he would harbor some resentment toward him.

So here we go again with the league is purposely helping the Patriots. Is this Wrestling or the NFL? Why bother watching if everything is choreographed? The reason "everyone" thinks the Pats are getting the calls is because "everyone" wants them to lose. (If you haven't noticed they are undefeated) The only game I watched where I feel the Pats haters can gripe is the Ravens game. I thought all the calls down the stretch were correct but I am smart enough to understand how other fans may have perceived them. But the reason us Pats fans cannot take this logic seriously is because other team fans do this every single game regardless of the type or quantity of calls "helping" the Pats. The Eagles were apparently screwed despite the fact they only had 3 calls against them all game. Stay around for the next game day thread and see how many Pats fans think "we" are getting hosed throughout the game. In fact, go to any teams game thread and I can assure you that every team is getting screwed. It happens every single week. The NFL office must have an entire department of staff devoted to determining which team will get boned each week and how badly. (hmmm... just enough to lose, cover the spread, get a coach fired beating?) I wonder if this changes weekly or was entirely scripted before the year started?

Oldskool, do you think Goodell handled the situation well or poorly?

I am of the opinion that he handled it quite poorly. I would think that if Kraft felt the same way then he would harbor some resentment toward him.

What I think is irrelevant but if you want to know, as a fan of the team punished, I thought Goodell came down too harsh.

Did he handle it well? That's not for me to decide. IMO, there was no prescient set to punish this particular infraction. Now there is. Teams will not be violating the videotaping rules any time soon...so Goodell accomplished what he wanted to accomplish.

Was Kraft happy about the punishment? No, but he's over it. There's too much money to be made.

In terms of the Pats vs. the Colts in terms of who gets more calls, I must admit that I personally don't even think it's close. Then again, I see many more of your games than theirs.

Then I would suggest you watch more Colts games. This year, the only game you really need to watch is the Pats - Colts game. That was the most egregious officiating since Super Bowl XL. Ironically, the Steelers got to the Super Bowl that year in spite of trademark Colts-biased officiating in their playoff match-up. But Vanderjagt couldn't get it done when it mattered, so the rest is history.

1. the "no catch" in the end zone?; or

2. the time out call that wasn't?; or

1) Even if the Gaffney TD had been overturned on review, Bart Scott's back-to-back unsportsmanlike conduct penalties would have put the Pats on the 1 inch marker with a fresh set of downs.

2) The Ravens admitted to taking the timeout, explained why the took the timeout and there's video evidence of them taking the timeout.

Fellas, I have a life, so I can't hang out here all day, but here goes. Where to start--

1. the "no catch" in the end zone?; or

2. the time out call that wasn't?; or

3. the PI on 4th down that wasn't?

all in addition to my favorite above.

Again, those are off the top of my head. Personally, I can see the refs point on 2. that they don't know who called the TO, so that one's not too high on my personal list, but the others I thought were ridiculous calls.

I also find the name calling funny and the resort of folks who have no good arguments to make. I also suspect you wouldn't do it to my face.

Dude, now it's your turn--what say you to the litany of other garbage calls/non-calls the Pats have had go their way late in games with the game on the line? Notice that common thread of late in the game with the game on the line and that half the rest of the league is talking about on Monday? Or the fact, and it is a fact, that many fans of other teams around the League think there's something very rotten in Beantown with the officiating in your games? They're all jealous conspiracy theorists, even those of us who used to root for you in big games? Whether deserved or not there's a perception out there that you guys are the League's and officials' darlings, face it. Even with Spygate, you guys think you get jobbed, but the rest of the League says how come the League destroyed the evidence? What else was on there that they don't want anyone to know about--the fiction they came up with ("so no one else could use them") as to why they burned them all is a see through joke--how were they supposed to help anyone else if they're locked up in NY?
The reason I mentioned all of these plays from the Ravens game in my prior post was to hopefully prevent you from bringing up the same weak sh*t that the rest of the country did. Let me repeat:

"If you mean the non-call on the Ravens for holding Faulk or ALL of the numerous non-call on the Ravens for holding Welker throughout the game, I agree. I'll also give you the dumb call by Rex Ryan to keep their last drive alive (the replays clearly showed that he called timeout before the snap). And how about the non-call when Asante was sexually assaulted on the hail mary? Even if you disagree about the holding call on Watson, Gaffney was being held on the same play. The late touchdown catch was a call that could have gone either way but there clearly was not going to be enough evidence to overturn it."

So where, again, were all of the outragious calls that saved the Patriots? Even if the TD catch was overturned, we would have had the ball at the 1/2 foot line due to Scott's 15-yard unsportsmanlike penalty.

No, what's interesting (and what you all can't seem to see) is that it's your team that the rest of the fans of the other teams thinks is getting the special treatment time and time again. So who's right on this, Pats homers or the fans of the other 31 teams?

Here are the threads I randomly selected last week--read for yourselves--

Fixed it for you.

We are right. Go back to your team troll.

The penalty he got when he rightfully went ballistic at the BS being called against his team. You prove my point exactly in your post "that the rest of the country did"--that's right, everyone else in the country thinks you guys are getting all the calls and non-calls, but I guess we're all wrong and you unbiased Pats fans are correct:rolleyes: ....

baby_crying_closeup.jpg

You Colts fans are such whiny little b.itches. What rule are you going to try and get Polian to change this year? Whatever it is, when the Pats adjust and use it to their advantage, I'm sure you'll get your undies in knots all over again.

What a pathetic bunch.

Last edited:
That could be (although I doubt it), but show me some evidence that lots of other folks besides you all (hardly an unbiased bunch methinks) think that the Colts get the benefit of poor officiating on a consistent basis?

More than a handful of sports columns had words about the Pats - Colts officiating this year. Goodell himself brought Mike Pereira in to discuss the matter behind closed doors. It was not just Pats fans questioning what had transpired.

If you want evidence from the rest of the league that Colts get special treatment, go ask Steelers fans about their playoff match-up to get to Super Bowl XL. I'm sure they'd love to fill you in.

Beyond that, I'm not supplying you with more evidence because you've admitted you haven't watched enough Colts games to know. So you'll have to do your own research and watch those games before we can have an informed discussion on the matter.

You Colts fans are such whiny little b.itches. [/QUOTE]

The dudes a Bills fan which is surprising since most of them know that their team about two steps from being the Jets or Phins.

Here's a pic of our friend:

[IMG]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/oldskool138/guy1.jpg

The dudes a Bills fan which is surprising since most of them know that their team about two steps from being the Jets or Phins.

Here's a pic of our friend:

guy1.jpg

A bills fan? Even funnier. I was at the game at Rich Stadium in 2001 when Patten was knocked cold and fumbled but had his foot on the ball, so the patriots retained possession and won the game in OT. Remember that "murabma?" Want to cry about that too?

baby_crying_closeup.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing