Replies:
Asking for your support

Starting center in 2012?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
For no good reason, Koppen.

There are THREE main roster questions on the offense. This is one of them (C, WR, RB). The good news is that Belichick has acceptable choices on the 2011 roster. He can also choose to fill the needs through free agency, trade or the draft.

Both are likely to be starting centers this year. Both are likely to be $3M a year players in 2012. Connolly was not since he has been a backup until the injuries in 2011.

If Waters goes, I would like to sign them both, probably at $3M each.

Given the choice, I would take Connolly. He has a lot of flexibility.

If we keep both, it is unlikely that we would spend one of our first four picks on a center. I find it unlikely that Belichick will do so anyway. After all, we have Wendell and MacDonald as backups; both have started.
=======================
A POSSIBILITY
Koppen may be willing to sign an end of career contract like Light did, so that he can finish with the patriots. My gut feeling is that Dante and Brady would like this result. In this case, we would likely draft a center for the future.

Koppen is a 3 mil+ /yr player. Connolly is 1 mil +/yr. They're both free agents, with gas left in the tank, so we assume they'll get a raise.

Who do you think will be the starting offensive center in 2012?

Last edited:
I say bring back both........can't argue with the money given you got guys proven in this scheme

Without a doubt Connolly. I was the guy that even went as far as saying that wendell was better than koppen before he even got hurt. Yes, Koppen probably knows the adjustments better but the fact that even our what fourth center or something played just as good as koppen tells me something and I would rather go with the young guns.

Also, on a side note, I get extremely annoyed when the pats hold roster spots for sentimental reasons. Holding on to bench warmers like faulk and ocho could have been better used to go through every available wideout out there instead and we would have eventually found the sterling more of wideouts.

I believe Connolly was the better & more versatle physical player.
Koppen's strenght was the line adjustment calls he was able to make.
Connolly would have been sunk making calls if it weren't for Waters help.
Waters was definately the o-line mvp & IMHO the best free agent pickup this year. I'm sure he'll be back after his first taste of playoffs, in spite of his age.

I expect a high center draft pick, sign Connolly, try to sign Koppen on the cheap or adios.

What the hell happened to Mankins?? Huge drop-off the year after his big contract from the year before.

There are THREE main roster questions on the offense. This is one of them (C, WR, RB). The good news is that Belichick has acceptable choices on the 2011 roster. He can also choose to fill the needs through free agency, trade or the draft.

Both are likely to be starting centers this year. Both are likely to be $3M a year players in 2012. Connolly was not since he has been a backup until the injuries in 2011.

If Waters goes, I would like to sign them both, probably at $3M each.

Given the choice, I would take Connolly. He has a lot of flexibility.

If we keep both, it is unlikely that we would spend one of our first four picks on a center. I find it unlikely that Belichick will do so anyway. After all, we have Wendell and MacDonald as backups; both have started.
=======================
A POSSIBILITY
Koppen may be willing to sign an end of career contract like Light did, so that he can finish with the patriots. My gut feeling is that Dante and Brady would like this result. In this case, we would likely draft a center for the future.

I can't see spending $6M for both of these guys. I think they'll pick one, and let the other walk.

I'm pretty sure it's more important to have the best player there, not the player Brady wants.

lol your posts always get right to the point and dismiss stupid ideas

For the first time in awhile the O-line actually showed up for the playoffs, and it's no coincidence that's also the first time in awhile the line was without Koppen. Connolly deserves the job over Koppen at this point, but they need to draft a young center. Guys like Brewster are projected in like the 3rd or 4th round so it doesn't need to be an early pick, but it needs to be addressed. Hopefully Waters sticks around for another year as he played well this year and it's not a sure thing Cannon is ready yet.

Matt Light has one year left on his contract (not sure?) so with him returning, Vollmer hopefully not being injured all year, and the moves mentioned above, the line would have great depth next year with a good blend of youth and veteran leadership. IMO the O-line should be changed as little as possible since it had its best season in years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes