PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Koppen talks about leadership, Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
It Is What It Is Koppen: ‘Maybe I need to step up and get a little more vocal’

WEEI's Christopher Price interviewed Dan Koppen this morning. He spoke about taking on more of a leadership role, the difficulties that can arise in the locker room when a team is losing, and joking around with Tom Brady.

“I just don’t think we went out there and performed the way we needed to perform. We’ve got a good locker room. We always have. And we always will,” he said. “But it was one of those things that winning takes care of a lot of things. And when you’re not playing well and you’re losing, that’s when all the stuff creeps in. So you have to stay strong and fight through all that stuff.”

Koppen also said the players gave Brady a hard time for his Earth Day ad, but it was nothing compared to how much grief they gave him for the infamous goat pictures a few years back.

To tell you the truth I've never seen a whole lot of leadership coming from any of the Metaphors. As a unit they seem to shrug off shortcomings and mistakes moreso than any unit on the team. So having any one of them step up and be accountable would be an improvement. Not that claiming he thinks they've had a good locker room and leaders and it's just the losing got them down sounds particularly like he has the potential... And poor Bodden, good intentions aside, wouldn't know strong leadership if it fell on him.

Talk is cheap, Dan.

Actually, he and Wilfork seem to be saying that it was an over-scarce commodity last year, and are vowing to rectify that.

I'm always a little wary of players that say, "i need to be more vocal" or, "I need to be more of a leader". That typically means that they won't be successful in being one b/c they just don't have it in them.

You never heard Brady, Rodney, Willie Mac or Bru say, "I need to be a leader on this team".They didn't have to. They were.

I'm always a little wary of players that say, "i need to be more vocal" or, "I need to be more of a leader". That typically means that they won't be successful in being one b/c they just don't have it in them.

You never heard Brady, Rodney, Willie Mac or Bru say, "I need to be a leader on this team".They didn't have to. They were.

Exactly...

The best way to lead is by setting an example.
The "I guess" part of Koppen's statement makes me think
that he should just focus on doing his job.

Koppen needs to play much better and then he would be a leader naturally. I don't think he can though, he gets pushed back way too easily.

They had unusual communication talents. Rodney and Bruschi now have media careers. Willie was the son of a preacher who ran his own small music company. Vrabel is a smart, funny guy who I think will be a terrific coach.

If guys w/ more ordinary communication skills are all that's left, and they're psyching themselves and each other up to be more vocal, that need not be bad.

I think koppen should have been more vocal too. the guy had a bummed ankle and play last year injured.

players who are like that need to step up. everyone talks about thomas TE trade but lossing hoss was a big loss. When koppen went down and neal followed koppen played with a bummed ankle as they did not have a quality backup. They signed johnson last year but he was cut.

i think they should draft a good back G/C prospect .

I like Dan, but I don't think he has a very dynamic personality.

There are a lot of different types of leadership. The three that jump to mind for me are:

1) Leadership by example - Going out, doing your job, carrying yourself the right way, thus quietly showing the others how it should be done.

2) Vocal leadership - That's the in your face, sometimes disciplinarian, outspoken leader, who is usually a source of motivation.

3) Strategic Leadership - I would classify someone who calls the defensive adjustments as this. They don't have to be the motivator, but they need to also be a leader by example for this to really work out.

Obviously there can be combinations of these, but these are the big ones in my opinion. I think Koppen can be a combo of 1 and 3 (I'm not sure how protection schemes are translated, if it's all Brady yelling them or if he tells Koppen and then it filters through the line). I believe you can't "learn" to be #2. You either become that as you get older or you don't.

I remember Paul Pierce had this issue with the Celtics early on. When the C's were terrible, he spent oen offseason reading books on leadership, trying to shape himself into a team leader. Didn't work and didn't help. It wasn't until natural leaders were brought in that it sort of came out in him and the whole team.

The dynamic personality on the OL, who looks to be poised to land in the media, is in his final season here in all liklihood. Unfortunately he's always struck me as the one who set the tone here as far as not broaching criticism and reading a little too much into his media spun clippings...

The rest are a rather bland group by comparison. Neal had his hands full learning a game he never played, Kaczur is just a good old boy and he's had his issues to deal with since his rookie season, Mankins used to show some nasty on the field but he's always been portrayed as the laid back cowboy off the field. Being so angry about his contract he can't see straight is about the most emotion we've seen from him since he got flagged for punching that DL in the nuts...

I was a little surprised they re-signed Neal, not just because of his durability concerns but because as Bill once said once they start talking about retirement it's usually an indication they've already begun the process of checking out on some level.

As a group, above and beyond their physical shortcomings, which they were largely able to scheme around for several seasons, these guys made a lot of uncharacteristic mental mistakes last season. That's lack of focus and it kills scheme. Light has started out foggy the last couple of seasons and almost seemed to need a kick in the ass reminder that once the bell rings the games count. On a lot of levels they haven't been the same caliber line since 42. It's like that game exposed them and random pro bowl nods aside, they've never been a confident or efficient unit since.

Whether it's ego or lack of self confidence, in all the years Brady has defended them I've never once heard one of them step up to the plate and say well, that's Tom - he's always got our back but the truth is we sucked out there today and we have to do better as a unit. Even if they didn't truly believe it (though unfortunately there were plenty of times they absolutely should have).

I know continuity matters, but so does talent and genuine confidence. I'm hopeful that the big German is just the first step in retooling this line over the next 2 seasons. I'd like to see them draft both a C/G and another tackle this season, and again in 2011. Brady isn't getting any younger, and neither is Dante...

I think for 2010 the new leader on the OL may be our new 6th lineman, Crumpler...

Something to keep in mind is that leadership exists within a certain group dynamic, if you already have a TFB and Wes Welker as leaders on the offense it might very well disrupt things if Koppen were to get more vocal and in your face, with that kind of situation the best thing to do might be to just support TFB and Wes, and just bust his behind being the best player possible.

However, if Wes is gone and Brady isn't quite TFB, like during the playoff game against the Ravens when Brady was basically sulking and Faulk was the undisputed leader of the offense, rallying everyone on the sidelines and kicking butt on the field, then the dynamic is different and it might be completely appropriate for Koppen to get a bit more vocal.

All that being said, I would love for the team to hire Troy Brown and Bruschi as position coaches, I think they'd be great at helping the new guys improve their game but they would also provide outstanding leadership that comes from coaches.

If you were to ask who should be the leaders on the Pats OL, two names come to mind. First is Light, since he's the LT, has been there the longest and is the most outgoing. Second would be Mankins, who's the perennial pro-bowler, and probably the toughest. For Koppen to say that he needs to be more of a leader, is he taking a swipe at those two?

If you were to ask who should be the leaders on the Pats OL, two names come to mind. First is Light, since he's the LT, has been there the longest and is the most outgoing. Second would be Mankins, who's the perennial pro-bowler, and probably the toughest. For Koppen to say that he needs to be more of a leader, is he taking a swipe at those two?

Light has his moments, but he seems to mainly show leadership in pranks, hazing, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if Koppen were the smartest of the bunch, or else second only to Light among the vets, because:

1. He's the center, and hence has scheme calling responsibilities
2. He succeeds despite physical limitations

the biggest guys on the team can make the little ones behave

Agreed. I always got the feeling that there were a few hard working veterans who might be prone to ordering a "Code Red" during training camp for any guy not pulling his weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes