Welcome to PatsFans.com

Koa Misi

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by PATRIOTSFANINPA, Feb 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Kind of a smaller player than the Pats look for but he has been an outstanding edge rusher for the Utes

Should the Pats take a look at this guy in the late second round where I think he will be available?.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +130 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

I wonder what BOR thinks of this guy???? :rolleyes: :p

3. PATRIOTSFANINPA

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Don't understand....:confused:

4. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +130 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

You've never seen Box's comments on Misi?..while not being connor barwinesq, he is high on him. Misi is Box's pick at LB

5. PATRIOTSFANINPA

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Nope..I really don't check draft talks much here until the draft itself nears

6. Defsoul

Defsoul On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

From NFPost's Wes Bunting:

Misi could probably be a do-it-all-outside backer, but not a real terror of the edge. I would not mind if the Patriots get him at #48 or even #53.

7. WhiZa

WhiZa Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I would be concerned with his production. Especially since his level of competition wasn't elite.

Do you think he can play ILB? If we're going to draft a OLB I would want someone who knows how to get to the QB. He seems more of a watch the play progress and then decide what to do type of player.

8. CGH TX PATS

CGH TX PATS Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks for making this point. I thought maybe I was the only player who likes to see these players face elite competition, or how they respond in big games. I'll see if I can find some footage against TCU (possibly their biggest game outside of the bowl game)

9. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -4

Any insightful video footage on this Misi guy?

10. Metaphors

Metaphors In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

He is about the same size as Bruschi (a little taller) with a similar college background. If he has the smarts, he has the skill set to play all over the field. He showed a lot in the Senior Bowl game. There is a strong sentiment on this board to pigeon-hole people into defined roles and positions (see McClain, Rolando). I'm of the opposite mindset. If a player can fit into multiple positions and roles (even if he isn't optimal at any of them), then the opposing QB will have a hard time getting a pre-snap read on what the defense is doing.

So if Belichick has a good feeling about what Misi has to offer between his ears, then I'm all for drafting him and developing new and inventive ways of unleashing him.

11. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

12. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -1

13. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Oar or ore...

14. PatsChamp88

PatsChamp88 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +68 / 3 / -0

#75 Jersey

15. MaineMan

MaineMan 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Agree with this. If Misi shows the smarts and dedication and decent agility and overall athleticism at the combine, his potential versatility becomes a big plus. My major concern might be his run defense. But if it's a matter of technique and he's able to learn . . .

16. Metaphors

Metaphors In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

If this were 8-10 years ago, I would probably have the same reservations. The league is just so different now. The playoffs were littered with passing teams. A couple of them (Indy, Arizona) only gave a token effort at running and another (SD) was pretty inept.

So I'm seeing a guy that can be very effective in the passing game at multiple positions, but may be less effective against heavy run teams like the Jets, Titans and Ravens. But....

1) I'm more concerned about the Colts, Chargers and Steelers than I am about the Jets, Titans and Ravens. I know the Jets made the AFCC game and the Ravens knocked out the Pats, but I think it is a mistake to base your team-building on those 2 situations (both of which were kind of flukey).

2) Tyrone McKenzie still is a part of the LB equation. Against running teams, you are likely to see more of McKenzie in the middle with a standard 3-4 front. In that case, Misi becomes more of a sub-package guy.

That is why I'm more for getting Misi in the 2nd round (along with Odrick at #22) and complimenting the players already there...instead of trading up to get McClain, boxing out McKenzie from getting meaningful snaps and filling the hole at 3-4 DE with a 2nd-tier candidate. The former allows you to better defend Manning. The latter allows you to better defend Earl Campbell.

17. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

To add to Metaphor's thoughts, Misi started dropping weight during the season to prepare for changing positions in the NFL - going from 260+ to his current reported 245 makes a big difference playing DE and OLB and occasionally DT. I'd expect Coaches Woicik and Nash to bulk him back up 10 lbs (minimum) if NE does bring him onboard to be an OLB.

18. StraightCashHomey81

StraightCashHomey81 Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Doesn't matter if we like him or not, he is not a 6'4 4.6 guy. I am simply ignoring guys who don't meet this requirement, a group that will be shortened after the combine this week.

19. Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +132 / 13 / -10

Why do those 2 numbers matter so much to you?

20. StraightCashHomey81

StraightCashHomey81 Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Because they matter to BB. This is his response to a question about why the Pats didn't select any 3-4 OLBs in the draft last year.

"There weren't a lot of 4.6, 4.65 [40 time] guys. There weren't a lot of 6-[foot]-4, 6-[foot]-5 guys. I'd say it was a much smaller pool of those types of players."
    All Things Bill Belichick: 26-Apr-2009 Press Conference Transcript

This statement matches up with BB's draft history with the Pats. The only 3-4 OLB they have selected in the first four rounds is Shawn Crable (Rd3, 2008. 6’5 45 lbs. 40: 4.61 ). Here is a list of the other guys that the Pats have drafted at OLB with later picks, and their combine measurements and times are relatively close to the 6'4 4.6 club

Casey Tisdale (Rd7, 2000) 6’4 255 lbs. 40: 4.71
    Tully Banta-Cain (Rd7, 2003) 6’2 264 lbs. 40: N/A
    Jeremy Mincey (Rd5, 2006) 6’4 259 lbs. 40: 4.76
    Justin Rogers (Rd6, 2007): 6’4 252 lbs. 40: 4.76
    Notable UDFA:
    Pierre Woods 6’4 249 lbs. 40:4.73
    Stryker Sulak, Missouri, 6’5 251 4.63

These numbers are based on combine times. Perhaps these players ran faster at their pro days, but the point is that BB has been very picky at OLB over the years, and the 6'4 4.6 requirement seems to be a reason why (according to my research, there have only been 24 DE/OLB prospects invited to the combine since 2000 who met this criteria). Based on all this, it seems prudent to eliminate any 3-4 OLB prospect who isn't a member of 6'4 4.6 club as a possibility for the Patriots, at least when it comes to rounds 1-4.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.