Welcome to PatsFans.com

Knock Em Up Edwards He Won't Go Away

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Harry Boy, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +967 / 2 / -9

The mainstream media really seem to imagine they can prevent Americans from knowing information by refusing to mention it in newspapers or on TV.
    http://www.anncoulter.com/

2. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +491 / 48 / -7

#75 Jersey

God she is funny................

For those few Americans without an Internet connection and to whom I have not faxed the National Enquirer stories: Evidence is accumulating that John Edwards is right -- there really are "two Americas." There's one where men cheat on their cancer-stricken wives and one where men do not cheat on their cancer-stricken wives.

To put it another way, it would appear that ambulances aren't the only things John Edwards has been chasing lately.

Seriously, how can you cheat on your cancer stricken wife? You would think that the guilt alone, would inhibit your "function".

3. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

Irony - 2
    FTW - 0

4. FreeTedWilliams

Ratings:
    +491 / 48 / -7

#75 Jersey

Once again, keep reapeating your lies, maybe someday you will believe them.

Don't let the facts get in the way of your lies:

The two men were Tommie Smith and John Carlos. Teammates at San Jose State University, Smith and Carlos were stirred by the suggestion of a young sociologist friend Harry Edwards, who asked them and all the other black American athletes to join together and boycott the games. The protest, Edwards hoped, would bring attention to the fact that America's civil rights movement had not gone far enough to eliminate the injustices black Americans were facing. Edwards' group, the Olympic Project for Human Rights (OPHR), gained support from several world-class athletes and civil rights leaders but the all-out boycott never materialized.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  5. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

Not only are you still completely wrong, and willfully misinformed, but you still don't see the hilarious irony of that statement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Project_for_Human_Rights

Keep embarrassing yourself, it's amusing.

6. FreeTedWilliams

Ratings:
    +491 / 48 / -7

#75 Jersey

BS!

read it, even they can't agree what they were protesting, but the one thing that is sure, is that it had NOTHING TO DO WITH APARTHED!!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...the-divided-legacy-of-black-power-863932.html

In an interview immediately after the protest, Smith threw a pail of nitrate into the already volatile mix.

"I wore a black right-hand glove and Carlos wore the left-hand glove of the same pair," he said. "My raised hand stood for the power in black America. Carlos's raised left hand stood for the unity of black America. Together they formed an arch of unity and power.

"The black scarf around my neck stood for black pride. The black sock with no shoes stood for black poverty in racist America. The totality of our effort was the regaining of black dignity."

Today, they refuse to speak. They will not appear together in public. In a long-running feud, each has written an account of 1968 that contradicts the other; each has attempted to take credit for the now-legendary protest; and each has publicly called their former comrade a liar.

7. FreeTedWilliams

Ratings:
    +491 / 48 / -7

#75 Jersey

Here's the LA Times (noted right wing paper) recent story killing ESPn for honoring them:

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-goldberg29-2008jul29,0,1097050.column

In today's culture, is it even worth trying to remind people that the black power salute was, for those who brandished it most seriously, a symbol of violence -- rhetorical, political and literal -- against the United States? It was the high-sign for a racist militia, the Black Panthers, which orchestrated the murder of innocents and allied itself with America's enemies. (The Cuban 400-meter men's relay team gave its 1968 silver medal to Black Panther leader Stokely Carmichael in the name of "Black America.") In today's lingo, you might even say black power was "divisive."

But even a more benign view of the salute shouldn't obscure the intense contradictions of ESPN's decision to honor Carlos and Smith. Both men were members of the Olympic Committee for Human Rights, which wanted a complete black boycott of the '68 Olympics. The committee considered an entire generation of heroic black athletes -- including Jesse Owens and Jackie Robinson -- to be Uncle Toms.

In 1972, Palestinian terrorists -- grateful for 1968's lesson in the propaganda value of the Olympics media attention -- slaughtered Israeli athletes. Nations are political entities, so you can't take the politics out of national rivalries.

8. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

LOL. you don't understand that the black power movement is synonymous with opposing apartheid? And your only evidence of this is "BS!" when faced with the fact that you don't know what you're talking about? How can you be that dumb?

Hmmm....black power...apartheid.....black power.....apartheid........

You seriously just don't have a clue about what the movement and what they stood for was about. Please stop posting this garbage.

Really unbelievable. Oh and here's what Carlos is up to now:

9. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

I couldn't be happier you posted that. Here's an article absolutely slaying Goldberg for writing that uninformed trash:

http://edgeofsports.com/2008-08-01-365/index.html

So the LA Times article was written by someone who did no research and was almost as clueless as you are. Almost.

10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Best line from the article:
    "But I have to admit there is a small part of me that took great satisfaction in seeing this column. It demonstrates that after 40 years, the audacious gesture of Tommie Smith and John Carlos still holds the power to upset the bullies, the dullards, and the scoundrels. It still holds the power to upset all the right people."

How consistently the law-and-order types look at each and every anti-establishment movement as something born in hell and a threat to all that is good. Good thing the original Patriots of our nation didn't see things the way our fascist government and its dupes to.

11. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,758 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

The reason I haven't commented on this Edward's story is very simple. There are many people out there condeming the man ... yet does anyone know what kind of mariage he has?

Not everyone has a marriage based on love and fidelity. Some people have marriages of convenience, some have open marriages, some spouses cheat with full knowledge of their spouse(not really cheating).
    Some people stay married for the sake of their kids but have relationships on the side with approval from their spouse ... there are many, many types of different marriages and a lot of bloviating idiots out there.

Edwards is guilty of fathering an out of wedlock child perhaps ... but those who condem him for cheating on his cancer striken wife are way off base ... unless they know what kind of marriage Edwards has.

12. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +702 / 20 / -30

From Free Ted Williams..

I think that this is one of those things from those days that are not easily understood by reading newspaper article, it has to be looked at from a broad perspective and in the context of the times.. cannot take it alone, as it is not a stand alone, isolated issue.. for those of us who witnessed it, it was an interesting protest, had a definite impact but was soon overshadowed by other issues.

13. FreeTedWilliams

Ratings:
    +491 / 48 / -7

#75 Jersey

It also gave the PLO the idea to kill the Israelis in 1972, do they want the credit for that to?

14. FreeTedWilliams

Ratings:
    +491 / 48 / -7

#75 Jersey

When did you turn into Bill CLinton???

I'm not talking about people who are seperated, or anything like that, He (Edwards) gladly trots his wife out when he needs sympathy or to look like a "family" man. He is lucky that any doctor in this country will even treat her, the way he sued them.

Honestly, I don't care what "type" of marriage you have. Who could really cheat on your cancer riddled wife? My old partner had breast cancer, and while she was fighting it, another woman we work with, actually said to her, "You wait, your husband will cheat on you, when they aren't getting it, they can't help themsleves". I was horrified! At the time she was a 29 year old mother of two, who had to keep working thourgh Chemo, because, she carried the insurance, (and had the better paying job). I remember telling her, that I speak for all men, when I say that their is no way humanly possible that a man could even get aroused enough to be with another women, while his wife was battling cancer. I was right about her husband, sad to say, that it appears I was wrong when it comes to John Edwards.

15. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

WHAT???:rofl::rofl::rofl:

16. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,758 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

No way ... no boomerang here ... :p

17. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +702 / 20 / -30

Gotta stop that steady diet of revisionist history, sure there are some right wing half baked links out there that support this.. but in reality it did not have much of an impact..

Out of curiosity what is your source for this dribble, I googled it and nothing came up??

18. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +967 / 2 / -9

Imagine what the Left Wing Media would do with this story if the names were changed from Edwards to Romney.

At the NY Times Rag it would be Front Page daily from now to election day.

:bricks:

19. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +821 / 7 / -2

20. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +821 / 7 / -2

Is this legit? It's only a picture, so it doesn't prove anything, but it does give a little cred to the NE. Again, it doesn't prove anything, but hmmm...

[​IMG]