PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kline, Halapio, Connolly, Barker....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill Belichick will most likely go with the following offensive line:

From Left to Right - Solder, Kline, Wendell, Connolly, Vollmer
Backups: Cannon, Devey, Fleming, Stork
Practice Squad: Halapio

At this point, it wouldn't be a shocker if you were correct. As Jack Bauer said--let's hope not.

At this point, it wouldn't be a shocker if you were correct. As Jack Bauer said--let's hope not.
To be brutally honest, I have not been impressed with the trio of Barker, Cave, Halapio this preseason. Heck, Bryan Stork has yet to play a preseason game.

To be brutally honest, I have not been impressed with the trio of Barker, Cave, Halapio this preseason. Heck, Bryan Stork has yet to play a preseason game.

Agreed.

I think Devey and Cannon are the 2 biggest unknowns for me. Those 2 (or one of them) could screw up the projection a bit.

Agreed.

I think Devey and Cannon are the 2 biggest unknowns for me. Those 2 (or one of them) could screw up the projection a bit.
Marcus Cannon has hardly taken any snaps at offensive guard this preseason. The Marcus Cannon to guard transition seems more of a message board creation than reality.

Marcus Cannon has hardly taken any snaps at offensive guard this preseason. The Marcus Cannon to guard transition seems more of a message board creation than reality.

I believe he received some looks at times during OTAs and maybe a couple of early practices in TC, but for the most part I think you're correct. I've been wondering if the (un)dynamic duo of Wendell/Connelly may not be in the cards once again, even before this move today. I'm just hoping that one of those 2 can be swapped out in an attempt to see improvement.

Of course if there's no one else to play, that becomes a problem in hoping for "improvement."

I think you need to project Game 1 and project another for Game 16..BY Game 16 I'd like to see it settle to Solder Cannon Stork Fleming Vollmer. What it is on Game 1, is likely different and features blooded veterans.

This would be a much bigger, less apt to be overwhelmed, and more talented and maybe more mobile line. It features former tackles for Gs, and a Rimington Trophy, big center.

Under any scenario:

There will not be consistency on the offensive line.
Last year the starting line was Solder-Mankins-Wendell-Connolly-Vollmer.
There will be a new LG that Solder will have to work with.
There will likely be a different center, and that spot could change again if Stork takes it over mid-season.
If Connolly is at Center, then there is a new RG for Vollmer to work with.
And, of course, there is a new coach.

Further, there aren't many pure guards on the roster.
Connolly is a Guard/Center and has performed better at Center.
Cannon has been playing RT and LT all preseason, and was a college Tackle.
Devey, at 6-6, is a tall Tackle playing Guard.
Fleming, if in the equation, is a Tackle without experience at Guard.
Halapio is a stretch to make the roster.
Kline is really the only pure Guard.

Under any scenario:

There will not be consistency on the offensive line.
Last year the starting line was Solder-Mankins-Wendell-Connolly-Vollmer.
There will be a new LG that Solder will have to work with.
There will likely be a different center, and that spot could change again if Stork takes it over mid-season.
If Connolly is at Center, then there is a new RG for Vollmer to work with.
And, of course, there is a new coach.

Further, there aren't many pure guards on the roster.
Connolly is a Guard/Center and has performed better at Center.
Cannon has been playing RT and LT all preseason, and was a college Tackle.
Devey, at 6-6, is a tall Tackle playing Guard.
Fleming, if in the equation, is a Tackle without experience at Guard.
Halapio is a stretch to make the roster.
Kline is really the only pure Guard.

I am very comfortable about he prospects on the interior Offensive line. We have eleven candidates for three positions.

BB has said repeatedly he drafts tackles and if necessary moves hm to G. The reverse move is problematical, as Gs may not have the feet for tackle.Among the 11 are 3 with experience as candidates for the Center position, including two former incumbents.

First we have four possibilities for the three slots who have actual game experience. None looked hopelessly outclassed. These are Kline Wendell Connolly, Cannon. The starters could be chosen from them and provide experience and continuity.

Second Belichick planned for and drafted to improve the Offensive line and Stork and Fleming appear to be learning and doing well.

Third two out of the four developing ST players look ready to compete in Kline and Devey.

Even the remaining PS candidates could still contribute in Barker, Cave and likely PS addition Halapio.

Last edited:
Kline to start the season, but hopefully Halapio wins one of the guard spots as the season progresses.

I think we have something with Halapio..

I predict the First Game lineup for continuity and experience reasons will be Solder, Devey, Connolly, Cannon Vollmer. This lineup offers a degredation at LG, but improvement at C and RG. It offers more size, but perhaps some loss of mobility.

By the Playoffs, I think the lineup will change to Solder, Cannon, Stork, Fleming Vollmer. It would offer a much bigger line, and superb drive blocking and even better pass blocking. It is composed of all former tackles with their mobility, youth, and he line offers superb size everywhere. The depth would include former starters at C & G as reserves, as well as two PS standouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes