PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Klecko lovers rejoice

Status
Not open for further replies.
ClosingTime said:
Some of you need to get over your man-crush for Klecko. He's just not very good. Too small to play DL. too slow and stiff to play LB. Maybe he'll join the WWE and you all can continue to cheer for him. I've never witnesses so much obsessing over a third-stringer.

My question to you is: How do you know?

Have you ever seen Klecko play? It seems strange, because I know I couldn't converse intelligently about the 53rd guy on the Steelers roster, about what he can and can't do. God knows Temple Football doesn't get on TV much. Have you watched Patriots pre-season football the last few years? Honestly, I'm confused.

ClosingTime said:
If his last name was Miller this guy would have been out of the league a long time ago. Yes, even BB can be influenced by nostalgia and pedigree.

Thank you!

Can we just call the Klecko Experiment a faliure and move on please!

Garbanza said:
Thank you!

Can we just call the Klecko Experiment a faliure and move on please!

Not quite. He just might be better than the last 2 competitors on our DL.

I agree with Dry that Klecko would be quite useful as a pass rushing DT on a 4-3 team.

ClosingTime said:
If his last name was Miller this guy would have been out of the league a long time ago. Yes, even BB can be influenced by nostalgia and pedigree.

No. Brownfan is right. Heart and determination are the keys (contrast our suspicion of Beisel and Starks). That, and the intriguing feeling that there is a lot of physical talent that could be harnessed in the right scheme/position. Remember this guy's name -- it's not as though New England fans are gooey with sentiment at the thought of having the son of a former Jet on the team. Now, if we'd drafted Tatupu ...

Mike the Brit said:
No. Brownfan is right. Heart and determination are the keys (contrast our suspicion of Beisel and Starks). That, and the intriguing feeling that there is a lot of physical talent that could be harnessed in the right scheme/position. Remember this guy's name -- it's not as though New England fans are gooey with sentiment at the thought of having the son of a former Jet on the team. Now, if we'd drafted Tatupu ...

Please - they are gooey with sentiment. Trust me, I live here (Boston).

How long does an experiement last - that's all I'm asking. This kid has had ample opportunity. He 'aint all that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Garbanza said:
Please - they are gooey with sentiment. Trust me, I live here (Boston).

How long does an experiement last - that's all I'm asking. This kid has had ample opportunity. He 'aint all that.

Ok. Look at our current roster of DL's and tell us who should be included if you cut Danny boy?

Hint: "Anyone" is not an answer.

I'm not saying that he should stay. There are 3-4 players, in my opinion, who COULD make the 53, and Dan is one of them.

Let's see, I have Sey, Vince, Ty, Jarvis, and Wright as locks. BB kept 7 last year, and with the DB talent pool, questions at LB, etc. I doubt he will keep more than that on the roster.

Based on pre-season play, Santonio appears the best "standard" reserve, 2-gap, 3-4 DL we had on the field. Sullivan has vast talent and, while still struggling to acclimate himself to BB's system, was hopeful at plugging the middle against 2nd and 3rd string competition. Where I would have questions is his willingness to put forth the effort to get better playing a reserve role, again. Hill was hurt again and lost opportunities to showcase himself. Smith showed well, but would do as much for the team with a year on the Practice Squad. Freeman showed some good hustle and strength, if not the experience/skill with technique for BB's system.

Which brings us back to the little Danno that might. It's a three-way contest between Sullivan, Hill, and Klecko for that 7th spot. If BB/Pepper/Dean think Sully will be able to get his mind and body right, I give him the edge. If not, they choose between Hill, another backstop for Sey & Ty, or go with a more versatile player who could be characterized as Green's backstop. As of today I'd lean toward Dan because of his versatility and attitude which create depth at other positions and on Special Teams.

Last edited:
Box_O_Rocks said:
Let's see, I have Sey, Vince, Ty, Jarvis, and Wright as locks. BB kept 7 last year, and with the DB talent pool, questions at LB, etc. I doubt he will keep more than that on the roster.

Based on pre-season play, Santonio appears the best "standard" reserve, 2-gap, 3-4 DL we had on the field. Sullivan has vast talent and, while still struggling to acclimate himself to BB's system, was hopeful at plugging the middle against 2nd and 3rd string competition. Where I would have questions is his willingness to put forth the effort to get better playing a reserve role, again. Hill was hurt again and lost opportunities to showcase himself. Smith showed well, but would do as much for the team with a year on the Practice Squad. Freeman showed some good hustle and strength, if not the experience/skill with technique for BB's system.

Which brings us back to the little Danno that might. It's a three-way contest between Sullivan, Hill, and Klecko for that 7th spot. If BB/Pepper/Dean think Sully will be able to get his mind and body right, I give him the edge. If not, they choose between Hill, another backstop for Sey & Ty, or go with a more versatile player who could be characterized as Green's backstop. As of today I'd lean toward Dan because of his versatility and attitude which create depth at other positions and on Special Teams.

I agree with what you have to say. Maybe they keep 8 DL's but I doubt it.

I have liked what I've seen of Thomas so far in TC and in the games. He could develope even more.

Maybe another year on the IR for Hill?

PATSNUTme said:
Maybe another year on the IR for Hill?
I don't see that as a help to him or to the team. He obviously did a number on his ankle/leg, if they didn't think he could come back he'd be on IR. Someone else getting injured in preseason might make him a lock for the team yet. It's sad, I thought he'd be a better fit playing behind Warren where they were working him this year. Cutting him loose might be in his best interest with Sey, Vince, and Ty settled in for a few years.

To many players, a knee injury is a 2 yr recovery to full strength. Like Mruc and Britt, this should be a break-out yr for Dan, whose legs are his biggest asset.(700 lb squat with a quick twitch prior to injury)

Technique is more important than a 700lb squat. Otherwise the Pats should just get powerlifters.

I think Klecko is a situational player at best.

MrBigglesWorth said:
Technique is more important than a 700lb squat. Otherwise the Pats should just get powerlifters.

I think Klecko is a situational player at best.
True enough neighbor, but that is hardly news on this team. :D

So by the summation of some in this thread, I am underestimating BB intelligence and Klecko's ability. If BB was that smart and Klecko was that good, then he would at least be in the rotation. Something has to give. Take your pick. DLinemen that don't even get rotated in to keep starter fresh is not a good sign.
The fact of the matter is BB sees some talent in Klecko and he makes for a good practice guy an is a hardworker thus pushing new players or FA to try harder. That's worth right there and often good enough to earn a roster spot.
Another poster asked me how I could know so much about the 53rd guy on the roster. Well thanks for proving my point. Has any 53rd man every received this much discussion s in the history of football/messageboards.
I just thought you guys would have a plethora of theories as to why Pats fans are so obsessed with "the 53rd guy". Pedigree? That's most of it I think though the secondary reason is probably the same reason any fan ever thought Keith Van Horn was a decent basketball player.

I suspect you have an interesting projected roster. You have these three having breakout years. I have them being cut.

I checked Miguel's DL list. Miguel doesn't even have Klecko. I disagree, he should be #10 on the depth chart.

And he should be #16 on the linebacker chart, out of the 16 on Miguel's list.

There should be no question that Wright and Sullivan are ahead of Klecko. The question is whether we carry seven DL's, and whether Klecko beats out Smith, Hill and Thomas for the 7th spot.

jczxohn1 said:
To many players, a knee injury is a 2 yr recovery to full strength. Like Mruc and Britt, this should be a break-out yr for Dan, whose legs are his biggest asset.(700 lb squat with a quick twitch prior to injury)

ClosingTime said:
So by the summation of some in this thread, I am underestimating BB intelligence and Klecko's ability. If BB was that smart and Klecko was that good, then he would at least be in the rotation. Something has to give. Take your pick. DLinemen that don't even get rotated in to keep starter fresh is not a good sign.
The fact of the matter is BB sees some talent in Klecko and he makes for a good practice guy an is a hardworker thus pushing new players or FA to try harder. That's worth right there and often good enough to earn a roster spot.
Another poster asked me how I could know so much about the 53rd guy on the roster. Well thanks for proving my point. Has any 53rd man every received this much discussion s in the history of football/messageboards.
I just thought you guys would have a plethora of theories as to why Pats fans are so obsessed with "the 53rd guy". Pedigree? That's most of it I think though the secondary reason is probably the same reason any fan ever thought Keith Van Horn was a decent basketball player.
C'mon CT, we obsessed about Tully Banta-Cain when he was a rookie scrapping to come back from injury and earn a spot on Special Teams. By now you easy going folks in Western PA should know how it is in these parts. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back