PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Klecko lovers rejoice

Status
Not open for further replies.

smg93

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Q: What kind of camp has Dan Klecko had?

BB: Dan has had a pretty productive camp and he's been productive in both of the preseason games. We've really tried to utilize him a lot in four man line and pass rushing sub-situations. I think that he's kind of thrived on that. Instead of trying to be all things to all people, not that he hasn't done those things because he has done them and he's done them this year, but he's just been able to concentrate more on sub situations and pass rush situations and being more of a nickel, that being more of a primary role, and our base defense being a little bit lesser of a role for him. Again, even though he's worked at that spot and has done it and is capable of doing it, we've just utilized him more in the other role and I think he's done well in that.

Can we start the debate again please! :D

He goes right to where the ball is on every play and has to get the nod over Jonathan Sullivan. Do you think Saban, Mangini or Romeo won't quickly pounce to take #90 if he is available?

Now we can trade him for a conditional 7th!

In the right circumstances, as a gap shooter, he's unblockable. I think that's what BB said in year 1.

I don't think he's ever been given alot of playing time.

groundgame said:
He goes right to where the ball is on every play and has to get the nod over Jonathan Sullivan. Do you think Saban, Mangini or Romeo won't quickly pounce to take #90 if he is available?

No, they wouldn't, because he wouldn't fit their scheme either. I've been saying it for three years now: Klecko needs to be a defensive tackle in an aggressive 4-3 defense. He would be an extremely productive player in Chicago, Indy, or Tampa, and I'd love to see him traded to one of those NFC teams. As a Patriot, he's always going to dominate the second half of preseason games, then be useless when the bullets startflying for real.

I'm not a big Klecko guy but I would like to see him get one more year and some actual playing time in pass rush situations. The deep roster may not allow it though.

groundgame said:

Maybe they would, maybe they wouldn't...but why does it matter? Seems to me this is only a consideration if there's a rookie you're hoping to slip through to the practice squad. Otherwise, let other teams grab whatever castoffs they like.

Last edited by a moderator:
BelichickFan said:
I'm not a big Klecko guy but I would like to see him get one more year and some actual playing time in pass rush situations. The deep roster may not allow it though.

Actually, he did get substantial playing time as a pass-rushing DT as a rookie when we had all those injuries. And the results were just OK - a little disappointing. I remember watching Klecko abuse Russ Hochstein in 1-1 and 2-2 drills during TC of his rookie year and I thought this guy was going to be a great pass rusher. It hasn't turned out that way.

Another thing working against Klecko is his contract. This is his last year and he's way back on the depth chart, which makes him of very little use either this year or beyond and much less appealing than a guy like LeKevin Smith, Mike Wright, or even Hill - who still has 3 years on his contract.

Sey, Wilfork, Warren and Green are locks. Wright appears to be close to a lock. That leaves 2 spots on the DL. I'd put Klecko ahead of Sullivan and Thomas, but behind Hill and Smith. He's right there just on the cutting block, with about a 20% chance to make the team.

I think Klecko has shown more skills and versatility that Hill, although I admittedly am not able to watch every game every year. I do remember him filling in at NT as a rookie when Washington went down in 2003, and he wasn't dominant, but servicable. He has to have improved since.

One more year for Klecko!! One more year!!

Can anybody explain to me why the Pats were not patient with him at ILB? This is where he should be. If they are going to be so patient with Hill, or go out and get a 37 year old Seau, why couldn't they have groomed Klecko last year and this for ILB? 2 years in and a smart guy like him with such great instincts could get it. But the Pats pulled the plug within 2 or 3 months during the spring/summer of 2005.

shmessy said:
2 years in and a smart guy like him with such great instincts could get it.

Apparently the people that watched him practice at ILB disagree with your analysis.

I agree Shmessy. I'm guessing it was liability in pass coverage and some of the other things that the ILB is expected to do, but I don't know that TJ was much better at pass coverage, was he? Maybe he didn't have the range, but he certainly has the speed and strength for the position. I think he'd make a great 1st & 2nd down run stuffer, but oh well...

dryheat44 said:
Apparently the people that watched him practice at ILB disagree with your analysis.

You completely missed my point. It was all about patience with him learning a new position. If they gave him 2 years, like they are giving Hill 3, he would get it. The decision was made well within 90 days last year.

Last edited:
Some of you need to get over your man-crush for Klecko. He's just not very good. Too small to play DL. too slow and stiff to play LB. Maybe he'll join the WWE and you all can continue to cheer for him. I've never witnesses so much obsessing over a third-stringer.

shmessy said:
You completely missed my point. It was all about patience with him learning a new position. If they gave him 2 years, like they are giving Hill 3, he would get it. The decision was made well within 90 days last year.

You've got absolutely nothing to base this on. How do you know he would "get it"? And if he did, who's to say he had the physical ability for it. You could make the same statement about converting him to tight end. If they let him learn for two years, he'd get it. The coaching staff decided he couldn't play linebacker, and stopped wasting time trying.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my warped mind...I can see Klecko at ILB as a run stopper. I see it...I do...honest.

If his last name was Miller this guy would have been out of the league a long time ago. Yes, even BB can be influenced by nostalgia and pedigree.

ClosingTime said:
Some of you need to get over your man-crush for Klecko. He's just not very good. Too small to play DL. too slow and stiff to play LB. Maybe he'll join the WWE and you all can continue to cheer for him. I've never witnesses so much obsessing over a third-stringer.

We have a tendancy to pull for players that show alot of heart and determination. I understand if you have no idea what that feels like. But all that team-vs-team hatred aside, sometimes it's fun to pull for the underdog. I think we all see a little of the 2001 SB Champion underdog in Klecko, and root for him to make it because of it. Or maybe that's just me that sees that.

ClosingTime said:
If his last name was Miller this guy would have been out of the league a long time ago. Yes, even BB can be influenced by nostalgia and pedigree.

He's certainly not going to be out of the league. He's just not useful in a 3-4 defense. He's very quick for his size, and was the strongest guy in the draft his year. He'll be collecting paychecks for a while as a 3-technique DT.

ClosingTime said:

Wrong on all counts as far as this entire statement goes. I see that you do spend a great deal of time in the Pats chat room, but you obviously still don't get it about Bill Belichick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes