PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kiwanuka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying Fungi

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
nice Herald article...especially love this section...

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=136849

The 6-foot-5, 266-pound Kiwanuka said several teams have talked to him about converting from end to outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. O’Brien thinks he’s perfectly capable of doing that - pointing to the time against Rutgers two years ago that he dropped into coverage on a zone blitz, picked off a pass and returned it for a touchdown - and Kiwanuka said he’s game.
“I can put my hand down, gain a little more weight and play the end posiiton that I’ve been playing for four years or I can take my hand off the ground, lose a little weight or stay where I am, and drop back in coverage a little bit,†he said. “Playing both positions are fun because, either way, I still have to get after the quarterback. And if I have to take my hand off the ground, drop back in coverage sometimes and maybe take the head off of someone coming across the middle, that’s fun, too. I’m fine either way.â€

The majority of opinions say he's a 4-3 DE and probably nothing else. He intrigues me, though, with his size, long arms and smarts. Belichick will get a good appraisal about his senior year from his buddy O'Brien.

Kiwanuka = very over-rated. Take a look at all the draft boards - his stock is falling faster than Lendale White's. He "takes plays off" Lacks Strength. Wasn't he owned by DiBrickashaw Ferguson at the Senior Bowl? - and I mean, every snap?

Just another typically over-rated player from BC.

BelichickFan said:
The majority of opinions say he's a 4-3 DE and probably nothing else. He intrigues me, though, with his size, long arms and smarts. Belichick will get a good appraisal about his senior year from his buddy O'Brien.

And then there was this:

He underwent a physical for the Patriots and said they called late last week for an interview but he had a scheduling conflict. That’s something he regrets because he’d love to play for the Pats, who are looking for an OLB with Willie McGinest gone and have a history of converting college linemen.
“I definitely feel like I could fit into that defense and I feel like I could do the job that they need,†said Kiwanuka. “But it’s all out of my hands.â€

I also am intrigued...I just have this feeling that he is going to be a beast, and would hate to miss the opportunity to keep him local...

but man, this draft is deeeeeep...

Garbanza said:
Kiwanuka = very over-rated. Take a look at all the draft boards - his stock is falling faster than Lendale White's. He "takes plays off" Lacks Strength. Wasn't he owned by DiBrickashaw Ferguson at the Senior Bowl? - and I mean, every snap?

yeah...like Matt Hasselbeck...or Dan Koppen... :rolleyes:

and how is the guy overrated? he was considered a Top 15 pick LAST year and before injuries a Top 10 pick THIS year...

such a shock that anybody would have had trouble with D'Brick with a bum knee and shoulder... :rolleyes:

I have zero ties to Boston or BC but it's difficult not to raise your eyebrows and say "hmmm" when looking at the entire package. Especially when we may be talking about a 3rd rounder now instead of a 1st rounder 6 months ago.

Flying Fungi said:
such a shock that anybody would have had trouble with D'Brick with a bum knee and shoulder... :rolleyes:
We should line McGinest up as a straight DE against Ferguson and see how he does . . . or Bruschi or Vrabel.

Flying Fungi said:

and how is the guy overrated? he was considered a Top 15 pick LAST year and before injuries a Top 10 pick THIS year...

He takes plays off....sorry, it's the way it looks to me.

Dan Koppen is good - but did you see a significant drop off with Hochstein in there? Not really. Matt Hasselbeck will NEVER win a SB. Lets go further: Flutie is COMPLETELY over-rated. Woody - ditto. Chmura - please.... Romanowski - crazy roid boy.

The only prospect out of BC that is "intrigues" is Will Blackmon. Now there is a verstile athlete, team player, smart. A definite Patriots kind of player. Could be groomed to play DB - can return punts and kick off's. Grew up in Rhode Island, I think.

Garbanza said:
He takes plays off....sorry, it's the way it looks to me.

Dan Koppen is good - but did you see a significant drop off with Hochstein in there? Not really. Matt Hasselbeck will NEVER win a SB. Lets go further: Flutie is COMPLETELY over-rated. Woody - ditto. Chmura - please.... Romanowski - crazy roid boy.

The only prospect out of BC that is "intrigues" is Will Blackmon. Now there is a verstile athlete, team player, smart. A definite Patriots kind of player. Could be groomed to play DB - can return punts and kick off's. Grew up in Rhode Island, I think.

you are one hell of a good sport, but I think all that time on the Just End The Suffering boards has jaded your views!

what say we draft a kicker in the 2nd? :D

BelichickFan said:
We should line McGinest up as a straight DE against Ferguson and see how he does . . . or Bruschi or Vrabel.

very true...all the hype in the world doesn't add up to anything more than supposition... see: Robert Gallery, Mike Williams, etc etc etc

Flying Fungi said:
you are one hell of a good sport, but I think all that time on the Just End The Suffering boards has jaded your views!

what say we draft a kicker in the 2nd? :D

So sorry - I forgot that complete homerism is a requirement here. (insert wink smilie face here) LOL!

Reports I've read said he's probably not "sudden" enough to be a 3-4 OLB. I can understand that.

Garbanza said:

Why don't you talk about nuclear physics and other things you have no clue about. Kiwanuka is far from overrated, in my opinion he'll be the steal of the draft if he goes after #25. If the Pats can get him somehow, he would be fantastic here.

Last edited:
Jacky Roberts said:
Why don't you talk about nuclear physics

If the topic is astrophysics, I'm in!

Flying Fungi said:

Never heard of the awful senior bowl week Kiwi had?

Handel said:
Never heard of the awful senior bowl week Kiwi had?

sure...and that certainly marginalizes everything else he has accomplished...

:blahblah:

Jacky Roberts said:
Why don't you talk about nuclear physics and other things you have no clue about. Kiwanuka is far from overrated, in my opinion he'll be the steal of the draft if he goes after #25. If the Pats can get him somehow, he would be fantastic here.

I'm so sorry, Jackie. I did not realize that you were the resident brainiac here. Pardon me - I did not realize that your OPINION ranks higher than mine. Hmmm....

In MY OPINION, Kiwi is overrated. We shall see how it pans out. Each one of us has the right to say "I told you so" in the future. :)

Garbanza said:
I'm so sorry, Jackie. I did not realize that you were the resident brainiac here. Pardon me - I did not realize that your OPINION ranks higher than mine. Hmmm....

In MY OPINION, Kiwi is overrated. We shall see how it pans out. Each one of us has the right to say "I told you so" in the future. :)

Ive seen every one of Kiwanuka's game since he arrived in college. I'm willing to bet you can't make that claim. At BC, he was asked to line up in tons of positions, drop into coverage, and rush the passer. He was also hurt for much of this past year. He will be a stud in the NFL and some team will be lucky. Saying he's overrated (like every other BC player) just shows your ignorance.

Jacky Roberts said:
Ive seen every one of Kiwanuka's game since he arrived in college. I'm willing to bet you can't make that claim. At BC, he was asked to line up in tons of positions, drop into coverage, and rush the passer. He was also hurt for much of this past year. He will be a stud in the NFL and some team will be lucky. Saying he's overrated (like every other BC player) just shows your ignorance.

Aw.....an alum. That boosts your credibility for sure!

I've seen him play in person only five times. Wasn't that impressed - although everyone wearing maroon and gold thought he was the greatest thing since sliced bread. You wearing your Eagles Superfan Tee on Saturday?

Garbanza said:
Aw.....an alum. That boosts your credibility for sure!

I've seen him play in person only five times. Wasn't that impressed - although everyone wearing maroon and gold thought he was the greatest thing since sliced bread. You wearing your Eagles Superfan Tee on Saturday?

Who said I was alum? All I said is I saw all of his games and was impressed at his versatility doing different things. My guess is your dislike to Kiwanuka is more anti-BC than anti-Kiwanuka.

Five games, huh? Wow, you should be in player personnel when you can dismiss someone after five games. Yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back